Welcome to PatsFans.com

Teen Pregnancies Increasing

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +478 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Perhaps it has to do with 3d and 4d ultrasound making women aware hat the abortion would kill a child. Support for abortion among young women has fallen.
  3. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I thought the thread was about teen pregnancies increasing.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

Liberalism, America runs on sex, watch HBO, the entertainment industry is obsessed with sex, 5 minutes into 90% of movies made today people are tearing each others clothes off in the hallway, they can't even wait to get into the bedroom, if they 'remake' the Wizard Of Oz Dorothy will be banging all the midgets.

Could The Muslims Be Right On This One
    "Praise Allah Death To The Great Satan America"

Sarah Palin's daughter was just trying to be Cool, like the MTV Crowd, millions of kids in America today have no idea who their father is, could be the guy next door or uncle charlie....

98% of family movies made today are rated "R"

In most Disney Movies the families are all divorced and daddy takes the kids to the zoo every saturday while mommy takes a shower with the mailman, the family dog is screwing the cat out in the kitchen (this movie will be nominated for an oscar)

Those girls who are now getting pregnant have unknowingly been brainwashed by "anything goes liberalism" they have been bombarded with sex since the day they came into this world.

GOD DAMN AMERICA
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +478 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Perhaps not only did you not read the cited articles but you also failed to read even the titles.

Medical News: Teen Pregnancies, Births, and Abortions Increase

They may support abortion less but they're resorting to it more.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  6. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

I would think it would be easy to tell since the statistics would show increased pregnancies in those communities where the programs are used. However, I have never heard of these program and don't know where and how they are being used. Are they really that prevelant? The studiesindicate a nationwide increase which would point to a more nationwide cause. Then again, it might just be an abnormally high year or changes in the statistics gathering that generated the increase.
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

From the article:

So pregnancies went up 4% but abortions only went up 1% which supports the point I made. I would note that teen pregnancies were falling until 2006 when the dems took control of congress, I presume they put more emphasis on sex ed than abstinence. Although if you look at out of wedlock pregnancies historically they went up dramatically with the advent of great society programs and with Roe.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +478 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I would note you are wrong.

In the U.S., teenage birth rates had been dropping since 1991, but a 2007 report showed a 3% increase from 2005 to 2006.

I believe the Republicans were still in control in 2005 - 2006.

You also presume wrong - Congress extended funding for the Abstinence Only programs through 2010.

In October 2007, Congress again extended funding, only until December 31, 2007.[31] President Barack Obama's 2010 budget would eliminate most abstinence-only sex education programs in favor of two comprehensive sexuality programs.

Sex education in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

"That's the Democrats for ya..."

:rolleyes:
  10. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do you have any evidence to back up that claim or is it just speculation? And are you claiming support has fallen among young women in general or certain types? Show me statistics among college educated women and highschool educated. I'm willing to bet more college women are pro-choice. ;) I'm in college myself and I can safely tell you most of the women I know here at my specific university are pro-choice. We do have a pro-life group here but they are a minority. Anyway, lets get to those stats please. No more speculation.
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +782 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

I think it has more to do with the economy
    ... in a world of ever increasing prices ... having sex is still relatively free.

Lots of bored people out there ... bored people looking for a thrill.
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Why do you assume your university is representative of the entire country it's a big world out there.

LAtest polls I have seen from, Marist:

No internals unfortunately.

I wouldn't be surprised if college kids at lib schools were being brainwashed to conform and support abortion they are more likely to value careers over the life of the unborn, babies are so messy and inconvenient.

If you were more sophisticated you might realize that skillfully programming an 10B neuron biocomputer is much more complicated and yet simpler than being a business executive.

On the 3d imaging, I have know a number of women who have had them without exception they are shocked at how early in their babies development the fact of the baby being human and not a lump of tissue is brought home to them. No poll, a picture is worth a thousand planned paenthood lectures, a movie of a baby worth 10x the pic.
  13. Teenuh

Teenuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why would you assume you know what the entire country thinks? :)

Link me to the actual poll. I want to see the numbers and demographics. Did they poll people in certain areas of the country? And how many people? Its weird that year after year polls have shown that more people were pro-choice than pro-life, yet there was a single poll this year that showed more were pro-life. I'd give it some time (and many more polls) before jumping to conclusions. ;)

I got my ba from Cornell and I'm about to start at UCSD to work on my mba. *shrugs* Say what you will, but when I finish I will have an education from two excellent universities.

Ohh I sense an anti-feminist. :lol2: Or maybe we're "brainwashed" to think that we're more than that? We can do more than have babies? We can have a career and we can accomplish something important? Maybe you just need some self-respect? :ugh:

Let me guess, we should all stay at home and have kids right? Let me also guess, you never attended college? So you went straight to the whole family thing instead of pursuing your own career and being able to be independent? So basically, if your guy decided to ditch you, you won't have any skills, education, or be able to support yourself. You'll be a welfare mom working at McDonalds for minimum wage. That isn't good for you or your kids. This out-dated mentality is exactly why so many women end up in bad situations.

As for babies being messy and inconvenient, the problem with people like you is that you live your little sheltered lives and think everything is so simple. Everything is black and white. And you live in a fantasy world, not in reality. Things aren't always as clear as you want them to be. People have abortions for a variety of reasons.

More sophisticated? :lol2: Be careful where you tread. You may not care for the results. ;)

Well, maybe uneducated girls who know nothing about human development. Sure, you could probably even fool them by showing the old Silent Scream video. A favorite scare tactic of pro-lifers btw. ;) But for educated women, the problem isn't so simple.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

If you want to dance you have to pay the fiddler.

I believe a women can do whatever she wants to do, she makes her decison if she makes the wrong decision she pays the fiddler, good luck.

I've "paid the fiddler several times in my life"
  16. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +116 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

I wonder what would happen to the teen pregnancy rate, if we ended all welfare?

I'm betting that it would go down drastically, follwed ten years later in a equally drastic fall in the crime rate.
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

I wanted to say that but you know me, you worded it much better than I could.......
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +478 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Or not:

According to the statistics teenagers form less than 8 percent of all welfare mothers.

Facts and Myths about race, teen pregnancy, and welfare........
  19. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I was thinking that it was the economy that was partly responsible. With less money to go out to movies or restaurants, the teens are finding activities that are low cost or no cost and uh............well ....if you're not buying a condom or the pill, it is a low cost activity that unfortunately can result in teen pregnancy.....
    I would like to see correlations between teen pregnancy and the economic downturns of the past.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  20. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +116 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

maybe you could use a better source than some women in Australia.......

Historically, nearly half of all teenage mothers receive welfare within five years of becoming parents (USGAO 1994). Consequently, 1996's federal welfare reform contains provisions aimed specifically at teen parents and would-be parents with the goals of reducing teen childbearing and preventing teen parents from becoming dependent on welfare. Specifically, to be eligible to receive federal cash aid under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, a minor parent has to live with a responsible adult (generally her parents) and participate in school or training.

TANF and the Status of Teen Mothers under Age 18

Welafre reform brought the rate down, elimiatng all welfare will bring it down even more...