PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tedy's time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I think it is now appropriate to ask the question. Will Tedy retire or be told to do so? He lost quite a bit last season, and this year is another year later.

Plus the big group of youngsters has had a year to acclimate under his training eye. I would not be a bit surprised if Bill were to nudge him in that direction. Especially, if Bill drafts still another young LB as is quite probable, as this is a fine year to stock up on them.

Already the Patriots have AD, Vrabel, Pierre and Crabel, Redd and Robertson, Craig and Ruud. And Mayo and Guyton and TBC, even perhaps Colvin and Larry and Alexander. That is 14 LB candidates not counting Tedy. Some surely won't make it, but they only keep 9 or 10 at most.

Not to be crass, but Tedy is drawing a $2 million dollar cap, and I don't think he earns that anymore. To me it obvious that Bill started a major youth movement on Defense in 2007 and only accelerated it to full speed last year. The Defensive roster is being transformed.

The King is Dead, Long Live the King.:confused:

I think it is now appropriate to ask the question. Will Tedy retire or be told to do so? He lost quite a bit last season, and this year is another year later.

Plus the big group of youngsters has had a year to acclimate under his training eye. I would not be a bit surprised if Bill were to nudge him in that direction. Especially, if Bill drafts still another young LB as is quite probable, as this is a fine year to stock up on them.

Already the Patriots have AD, Vrabel, Pierre and Crabel, Redd and Robertson, Craig and Ruud. And Mayo and Guyton and TBC, even perhaps Colvin and Larry and Alexander. That is 14 LB candidates not counting Tedy. Some surely won't make it, but they only keep 9 or 10 at most.

Not to be crass, but Tedy is drawing a $2 million dollar cap, and I don't think he earns that anymore. To me it obvious that Bill started a major youth movement on Defense in 2007 and only accelerated it to full speed last year. The Defensive roster is being transformed.

The King is Dead, Long Live the King.:confused:

Nah....Tedy will go out a Champion. One more year of his "coaching on the field" will be greatly appreciated by the young LB's and coaching staff as well.

Also, in my opinion, he still is one hell of a linebacker.....is he what he once was, of course not, but he still brings more than most.

Nah....Tedy will go out a Champion. One more year of his "coaching on the field" will be greatly appreciated by the young LB's and coaching staff as well.

Also, in my opinion, he still is one hell of a linebacker.....is he what he once was, of course not, but he still brings more than most.
Yup, I'm looking for one, maybe two more young LBs added to the pool...Tedy is easily worth $2M to mentor those kids and the other youngsters.

I agree with Box and Fgsnd...Tedy is not what he was, but he makes up a LOT for that with being smarter. His play is not as impactful and yet, he brings a lot to each game with a real intelligence and intensity. That he can help and mentor a lot of the yoummger guys is a vital role and he takes that seriously. One or two more and go out on top. That he will help the younger ones take over will only show more of what a player he was.
Dump him?? No...he is way too valuable to just discard.

Tedy really needs one more SB ring.

Now if we could get a fresh stud LT aty about the same that Light makes... ;)

Yeah. One more season for Teddy to help the kids along with the mental aspect of the Pats schemes.

One of the TB memories that stands out for me, was him standing next to Bill at the first game after spygate broke and hugging him as the game ran out. A clear and direct show of support.

2 mil is a bargain.

I'd say no, for two reasons. First, Belichick has no reservations about telling Bruschi to leave if he represents an overall reduction in performance, or for that matter telling him to take less in the way of salary to stay if he represents poor value for performance. I would suspect with the warehouse of LBs on the roster currently that few represent inside linebacker options from the bench.

Second, I'm not sure on what you base your assessment that Bruschi "lost quite a bit last season" given the lack of dedicated game footage and all the moving parts on defense with rookies and injuries. I would agree Bruschi is not what he was in 2004 pre-stroke, but then again that applied in 2005 and beyond when he did his present contract. He provides experience and veteran presence in much the same way Rodney does. Is that worth $2 mil? How far is that amount really above the veteran minimum, and how much do you buy by getting rid of him? How many of the other LBs on the roster (other than Mayo, Vrabel and potentially Thomas) could take his job?

Last edited:
I think has one more year in him....he is the coach on the field....mentor for the younger lb....

Tedy is one of my alltime favorite Patriots, If I can watch him for one or two more years, with a championship included, I'd be thilled.

I thought I heard on WEEI that he intends to return next season.

Bruschi is a great leader. his skills, however, have clearly diminished. i have no problem having him on the team, but i think he needs to take a pay cut. $2M for a guy who doesnt play all that much is too much, especially in a year like the upcoming one where we are strapped for cap room

The patriots know what they have in Bruschi. He may or may not start, but he certainly is capable of starting. He is the perfect backup and mentor for his last season. Having Woods at OLB and Bruschi at ILB gives us a season to evaluate Crable and Guyton, and any other of the kids that makes it.

OLB: Vrabel, Woods, TBC, Crable
ILB: Mayo, Thomas, Guyton, Bruschi
competing for the last spot or two: rookie, Redd, Ruud, Robertson, Craig

The patriots know what they have in Bruschi. He may or may not start, but he certainly is capable of starting. He is the perfect backup and mentor for his last season. Having Woods at OLB and Bruschi at ILB gives us a season to evaluate Crable and Guyton, and any other of the kids that makes it.

OLB: Vrabel, Woods, TBC, Crable
ILB: Mayo, Thomas, Guyton, Bruschi
competing for the last spot or two: rookie, Redd, Ruud, Robertson, Craig

You are pretty high on Woods, without Thomas outside the OLBs look like crap (IMO). If the Pats draft an OLB high Vrabel may be in some danger as well, his play has slipped.

I thought last year he was a good value at $1 million salary. Bumping the number up this year, and it certainly becomes questionable. If it takes time to trade Cassel I could see Tedy being cut.

Tedy will go out a Champion. One more year of his "coaching on the field" will be greatly appreciated by the young LB's and coaching staff as well.

i agree with you, fgssand

No linebacker chosen at 23 will start for the patriots at OLB. I am not all that high on Woods. He is an OK journeyman who can fill in while we see what we have in Crable, in a rookie we might draft and in the Practice Squad value players we have (Ruud, Reed, Robertson and Craig).

IMO, Vrabel is much more likely to be extended than cut, especially if we draft an OLB.

You are pretty high on Woods, without Thomas outside the OLBs look like crap (IMO). If the Pats draft an OLB high Vrabel may be in some danger as well, his play has slipped.

I guess you are under the impression that Cassel will be on the 53 man roster at $14.6M. Absent that scenario, we have no cap issues whatever, other than prehaps needing an early restructure or two if Cassel's trade is to take place later in July.

BTW, it Bruschi were to be cut (or any other veteran), I would expect such a development to happen in the next week. We will have a long week.

Bruschi is a great leader. his skills, however, have clearly diminished. i have no problem having him on the team, but i think he needs to take a pay cut. $2M for a guy who doesnt play all that much is too much, especially in a year like the upcoming one where we are strapped for cap room

I thought I heard on WEEI that he intends to return next season.

I am pretty sure you are right. I am pretty sure he has stated he intends to play.

I think as Colvin and Seau showed last year knowledge of this system and general football smarts can make up for alot.

Tedy is the man and still has a role on this team I mean they just resigned TBC I know they play different LB spots but if there is room for TBC than there is for Bru.

I love Bruschi, but the guy has half the player he used to be.

His speed is a major liability now and he's always been on the small side

Let's hope that Guyton can carry more of the burden this year so Tedy can be more of a role player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back