PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teddy Bridgewater's falling stock.

After all this discussion, I don't see a true franchise QB in this bunch getting drafted in a few weeks. Several could become a franchise QB, but not one that I would put in the likely category. The only difference between this year and last year is that quantity of QBs who are sub par high round picks.

Personally, I hope Bridgwater is available at 29. The Pats will be in the cat birds seat to trade down and pick up more picks in a deep draft. I don't believe Bridgewater is the answer for the replacement of Brady, but his availability at 29 could certainly allow the Pats to pick up extra picks to make the current team more rounded for a Super Bowl run for the final years with Brady.

Personally, if the Pats are going to draft a QB in this draft, I would rather see them go for someone in a later round because I think the Pats are just as likely to find a diamond in the rough who no one expected to be a top QB but become one than get a top QB drafting him at 29 no matter who is available.

How does a player 'drop'? What does he drop from? There is only one draft. 'Dropping' only means those predicting where he would be drafted were wrong.
Truer words were never spoken.

The simplest and most definitive proof is that he has NOT failed an NFL drug test in going on four years. Nor has he been in a DUI.

The stupidity and lazy scurilous accusations have been allayed by the numerous "black shirt" awards and premium parking space awards.

Finally, Mallett was promoted to the Backup QB status all alone, when Hoyer who I respect as a potentially low rated starter/manager type QB, was cut in TC, after the first year in the system by Mallett, even without a full strike-shortened TC in Mallett's rookie year.

Despite your determination to find a problem when none exists, the evidence, or rather lack of it, rules it out.

What more proof do you need, other then a heaven forfend replay of the 2008 season?

The simplest and most definitive proof is that he has NOT failed an NFL drug test in going on four years. Nor has he been in a DUI.

The stupidity and lazy scurilous accusations have been allayed by the numerous "black shirt" awards and premium parking space awards.

Finally, Mallett was promoted to the Backup QB status all alone, when Hoyer who I respect as a potentially low rated starter/manager type QB, was cut in TC, after the first year in the system by Mallett, even without a full strike-shortened TC in Mallett's rookie year.

Despite your determination to find a problem when none exists, the evidence, or rather lack of it, rules it out.

What more proof do you need, other then a heaven forfend replay of the 2008 season?

They weren't proven false. Mallett reportedly even admitted to the drugs. That means that at least some of them were proven true, unless the reports are lies (something Mallett has not alleged), which is precisely the opposite of your claim.

I get that Mallett's your uberbinkie and that you think he's the Brady replacement. That's no reason to try pretending the past didn't happen. Reportedly by his own admission, Mallett was a drug user.

They weren't proven false. Mallett reportedly even admitted to the drugs. That means that at least some of them were proven true, unless the reports are lies (something Mallett has not alleged), which is precisely the opposite of your claim.

I get that Mallett's your uberbinkie and that you think he's the Brady replacement. That's no reason to try pretending the past didn't happen. Reportedly by his own admission, Mallett was a drug user.

The operative word is r-e-p-o-r-t-e-d-l-y, all by media whores in search of a headline; or perhaps by scouts with an ulterior motive to push him down the charts, to make drafting him easier,

You may try to deride Mallett by calling him my uberbinkie, but the fact remains that he is the most talented backup QB that the Patriots are likely to have for several years. My opinion does not affect his intrinsic talent level or prospects.

That is without an infatuation with RB ability in QBs; or a three #1 trade for a First, like the Redskins, sometime in the next three years. Done in a year that actually has a franchise QB or two to Draft, unlike this crop, none of whom could carry a franchise QB's jockstrap.

Even if your unproven hypothesis is true, I fail to see that any such hypothetical experimentation did any harm. There are millions of college kids who experimented with alcohol and/or marijuana to no ill effect.

Just for the record, Brian Hoyer was cut at the final 53 man roster decision for the 2012 season. This occurred on August 31, 2012, so they didn't cut him during training camp. TC had actually ended about 10-14 days earlier. Not only did they keep him through the entire TC, but they kept him through the entire preseason as well--all 4 games.

Mallett had a full 2 training camps under his belt by that time, so it was pointless to carry 3 QBs.

From all accounts it seemed as though Belichick thought that the money spent on Hoyer's tender could be better used in other areas, so the financial aspects certainly came into play, as did the utilization of the 53 man roster, just as well.

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/31/patriots-cut-brian-hoyer-leaving-ryan-mallett-as-only-backup-qb/]Patriots cut Brian Hoyer, leaving Ryan Mallett as only backup QB | Pro Football Talk[/URL]

First of all, I THINK (my opinion, OK? If it bothers you, FOAD) the "Bridgewater dropping" stories are B.S.

I think it's a plant coming from some NFL team(s) in the teens or twenties in the hopes of him falling that far. If he's there at 29, as much as I detest taking a QB in this draft, I think they have to pull the trigger...or have a sweet deal lined up to swap out.

Bridgewater can play in this league. His temperament is as well suited to lead an NFL franchise as any of the young stallions that have made noise in the league the past few years.

I just find it hard to believe this "story" is going to have any effect on his draft status. He's either 1st or 2nd picked.

I'm just not sold on Bridewater being a starting NFL QB, let alone the heir to Brady. He played against iffy competition in the "don't call us the Big East anymore league". He really didn't impress me at all. If he fell to 29, I would say trade out and let someone else take him. I would rather have Murray, Mettenberg, or McCarron.

First of all, I THINK (my opinion, OK? If it bothers you, FOAD) the "Bridgewater dropping" stories are B.S.
I agree. Of course, I don't think he was all that high to begin with, except in the minds of some mediots who fell in love after he put up 70 on the almighty FIU Panthers.

He really didn't impress me at all. If he fell to 29, I would say trade out and let someone else take him. I would rather have Murray, Mettenberg, or McCarron.

Another man who appreciates the "3 M" quarterbacking prospects from the SEC (hopefully in the 3rd/4th rounds with whomever is left). Welcome to the club!

I agree. Of course, I don't think he was all that high to begin with, except in the minds of some mediots who fell in love after he put up 70 on the almighty FIU Panthers.

I agree. I never truly saw him as a top 1-2 prospect, and would be pretty surprised if Manziel, Bortles, and one other prospect weren't taken ahead of him. Bridgewater is certainly not a top 1-2 QB prospect in this draft in my opinion. As a matter of fact, I thought the draftnik who stated that he'd be well below guys such as EJ Manuel from last year hit it right on the head.

I agree. I never truly saw him as a top 1-2 prospect, and would be pretty surprised if Manziel, Bortles, and one other prospect weren't taken ahead of him. Bridgewater is certainly not a top 1-2 QB prospect in this draft in my opinion. As a matter of fact, I thought the draftnik who stated that he'd be well below guys such as EJ Manuel from last year hit it right on the head.
I'd definitely take Carr over him as well. I'll be amazed if he is any higher than the 5th QB taken, and amazed if he goes in the 1st round.

It only takes 1 team, so we'll see.

Ah, so level of competition is your concern. Do tell, what juggernauts did Roethlisberger and Flacco pick apart on a regular basis in college?

Most have always had Bortles and Manziel higher than Bridgewater. And yes, some have him below Carr. I would note that Manuel was drafted #16, so Bridgewater could be well below that and still be in the first round.

I expect 4-5 quarterbacks to be drafted in the first round, or at the very latest by #36. Teams want to have five years with their quarterback, so I think that they will not wait until the second round.

BTW, I would not be shocked if one GM bases his draft choice on how well Bridgewater has played (and his physical attributes) rather than on one pro day in shorts.

In any case, I do not expect Bridgewater to be on the board at Pick 30.

Most have always had Bortles and Manziel higher than Bridgewater. And yes, some have him below Carr. I would note that Manuel was drafted #16, so Bridgewater could be well below that and still be in the first round.

I expect 4-5 quarterbacks to be drafted in the first round, or at the very latest by #36. Teams want to have five years with their quarterback, so I think that they will not wait until the second round.

BTW, I would not be shocked if one GM bases his draft choice on how well Bridgewater has played (and his physical attributes) rather than on one pro day in shorts.

In any case, I do not expect Bridgewater to be on the board at Pick 30.

I fully expect someone to take a chance on Bridgewater in the first round. Like you said, it gives the 5th year option on a somewhat reasonable deal now due to the rookie wage scale. On top of that, Bridgewater just turned 21 in November or December, so he is young and has upside.

The only things I disagree with is that he was going to be the top QB selected, or even the top 1-2. I don't see him slipping quite as far as some due to the reasoning you provided, and the fact that there was only one QB taken in the first round last year (law of averages).

As with most posters, you have no problem giving up on the 2015 season if Brady is out for a few games. Relying on a 7th this year or 3rd next year likely gives you that result.

Personally, I don't think that Belichick is spending all the time with quarterbacks to somehow influence the picks of other teams.

We need a backup for 2015, who can start if Brady is out for a play of for 4-5 games. Belichick decided NOT to develop this player from the 2013 draft class. Well, the time is now.

You may be 100% right. Maybe Belichick will roll the dice and simply WILL Brady to stay healthy, and not provide for contingencies. It seems likely that SEVEN quarterbacks will be drafted in the first two rounds who might be reasonable backups. Belichick has used a 3rd twice for this position, when Brady was much younger. Belichick has also relied on 7th rounders and UDFA's for backups.

We shall see.

Last edited:
How does a player 'drop'? What does he drop from? There is only one draft. 'Dropping' only means those predicting where he would be drafted were wrong.

I'm not sure what your point is here. I think it's pretty straight forward. When a guy lays an egg at his Pro Day his perceived value by scouts drops.

You don't seem to understand what proof is. The proof of him taking drugs is his admission that he was taking drugs, just as his arrest for public intoxication is evidence of him being publicly intoxicated.

These are pretty clear for anyone who's not overly invested.

Last edited:
2dOtCp3.png

mNxXvVc.png

1CBo1Nn.png

aRpzFr1.png

(not by me)

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back