PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teddy Bridgewater's falling stock.

That's a great question. All of the top rated QBs have huge question marks. Indianapolis was extremely fortunate to have Andrew Luck sitting there after they went through their Manning transition. The Texans have no such opportunity.
So are you saying that anybody who isn't Andrew Luck has no chance of succeeding in the NFL? I understand that most of these guys will probably never become elite QB's but I have to imagine that some of these guys have the capacity to become competent QB's in the NFL. Is it really that hard to believe that some of these guys will be able to become the equivalent of Andy Dalton or Alex Smith?

1. Most important is the position he plays. Tom Brady is going to be the starter here for the next 3 seasons. It makes no sense to pick a player who is unlikely to see the field for 3 years with a #1 pick. C'mon guys Lets be reasonable here.

Sorry Ken. You are dreaming. The end is coming for both Peyton and Tom and it is NOT three years or more away. Both have visibly lost some talent. Peyton's arm is nowhere what it used to be. He floats his passes now.

Both are getting by with experience and wile now, But for how much longer?

Tom's long accuracy, never great to start with is visibly declining, as is his pocket shuffling mobility. Credit some of his declining completion percentage to the new receivers last season, if you wish; but the reality is still it was below 60% and his QB rating was only mediocre.

No one wants to say it but Time waits for no man.
I think the argument here is if you think the next three years of Teddy would be better than the next three years of Brady, I know that Brady is declining but he is still an elite QB and I do not think Teddy will be better than Tom even if he is in decline.

Id take teddy at 29. Rookie contracts are cheap enough to carry him.

There's only 1 catch, BB has to 100% believe he his Brady's successor or else it's a wasted pick.

gb 100% believed Rodgers would be favres successor, or they wouldn't of taken him.

Agree with you on the fact that if the Patriots believe one of the QB's available to them is a guy they can develop to succeed Brady, ala Aaron Rodgers, then draft him. Hell, I'd even trade up a few spots if you think there is a QB in this draft that can be THE guy. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know which one of these guys is going to be a bust and which one isn't. Nobody really knows that. But, I'd be 100% supportive of the Pats if they think one of these guys is THE guy and they use a high pick to get him. You simply can't be a consistent championship contender in this league without a viable QB.

Side note, going along with this Bridgewater discussion is the fact that the guy is only 21 years old. I think that is an important factor here that often gets overlooked. Obviously it's not the determining factor, but a guy like Bridgewater is still developmentally a few years back from a guy like Tom Savage (24 years old) or Derek Carr (23 years old). So if we play along with the idea that Brady has 3, 4 years left - Bridgewater would be just hitting 24, 25 years of age with a few years in the system under his belt. Just another thing to consider.

We have to stop acting like this QB class isn't good because the top QBs have flaws. Every QB ever drafted had flaws coming out.

Luck:
-questionable decision making
-oblivious, holds on to the ball to long
-has had accuracy problems in the pros

RGIII:
-Doesn't go through progressions
-run first, pass second, whereas Wilson/Manziel are pass first, run second
-questionable attitude, RGME

Bridgewater is better than Luck in the two most important attributes for a QB, pocket awareness and decision making. So Luck is bigger, faster, stronger, and has better arm strength. I could care less. Give me Teddy.

Yup. I literally facepalmed in real life when I read that. It's a terrible comparison, not just on the field but off of it as well.
Do Russel and Bridgewater even have anything in common beyond being Black QB's? I really cannot think of a single other way that you can compare the two. Honestly Bortles and Russel have more in common just based on their height.

Do Russel and Bridgewater even have anything in common beyond being Black QB's? I really cannot think of a single other way that you can compare the two. Honestly Bortles and Russel have more in common just based on their height.
No. Not at all. Not only on the field, but the type of character they have off the field as well. Like I said, I literally facepalmed when I read that.

Id take teddy at 29. Rookie contracts are cheap enough to carry him.

There's only 1 catch, BB has to 100% believe he his Brady's successor or else it's a wasted pick.

gb 100% believed Rodgers would be favres successor, or they wouldn't of taken him.

That is really in hindsight. Its easy to say GB was 100% sure, but the jets were equally sure with Sanchez, for example.
The decision working out doesn't mean it was made with 100% certainty. There was as much, if not more, risk in Rodgers as in Sanchez on the day the pick was made. In retrospect one was smart and one was stupid but I doubt the Packers had more conviction than the Jets.

Maybe this is not the right thread for this question, but is this that deep of a draft? Where's the center's, tackes, DE's? I see a good number of WR's, DT's, a decent class of QB's, an ok number of TE's...it's a good draft no doubt, but I think people are going too much on this expecting to find in the 4th round of this draft a 1st round pick in other years...

I see a very rich 1st round and the normal fall in the second, still good but not a 2 first rounds in day one and two.

That said we should use our 1st round pick like it should be used any other 1st round pick, in a player who can start from day one, adding value to the team. If he can fill a need even better, and we have plenty of needs.
yeah I think too many people are dismissing how much a 1st round player who is starting would help them, getting a QB of the future is really compelling but they do have holes that need to be filled.

yeah I think too many people are dismissing how much a 1st round player who is starting would help them, getting a QB of the future is really compelling but they do have holes that need to be filled.

Offense Starters seemingly locked in unless surprise happens:

QB - yes
RB - yes
3dRB - yes
FB - yes

LT - yes
LG - yes
OC - not a first rounder in the draft
RG - no
RT - yes

TE - yes
WR1 - yes
WR2 - yes (?)
SlotWR - yes

So, on offense, the only immediate openings would be, perhaps:

OG
WR
OC

Are you recommending that the Patriots draft one of those positions in round 1?

Defense starters seemingly locked in unless surprise happens:

DE - yes
DE - yes
DT - yes
DT - yes

LB - yes
LB - yes
LB - ?

CB - Revis
CB - Browner
CB - Dennard
S - McCourty
S - no

So, on defense, the only immediate openings would be, perhaps

LB
S

Looking at positional needs and cross referencing them with draft availability, it would appear that, in all likelihood, this team's not drafting to fill holes at starting positions in the first round unless players surprisingly fall (S), the need is thought to be greater than most others believe/admit to (WR), players in waiting aren't ready despite the hopes of the team/fans (LB, S) Injury leads to necessity (DT) or the team drafts the position higher than it ever has (OG).

While it's possible that one of the above will be the case, I'm not sure you could get great odds for it.

The most apt comparison I think I've heard for Bridgewater is a slightly-more athletic, but more fragile looking Chad Pennington. If he really does slide to us, there should be a team looking to trade back in to get him. And I love the depth in the second and third rounds this year, more than I like the top-end talent so I'm on board for trading back.

Offense Starters seemingly locked in unless surprise happens:

QB - yes
RB - yes
3dRB - yes
FB - yes

LT - yes
LG - yes
OC - not a first rounder in the draft
RG - no
RT - yes

TE - yes
WR1 - yes
WR2 - yes (?)
SlotWR - yes

So, on offense, the only immediate openings would be, perhaps:

OG
WR
OC

Are you recommending that the Patriots draft one of those positions in round 1?

Defense starters seemingly locked in unless surprise happens:

DE - yes
DE - yes
DT - yes
DT - yes

LB - yes
LB - yes
LB - ?

CB - Revis
CB - Browner
CB - Dennard
S - McCourty
S - no

So, on defense, the only immediate openings would be, perhaps

LB
S

Looking at positional needs and cross referencing them with draft availability, it would appear that, in all likelihood, this team's not drafting to fill holes at starting positions in the first round unless players surprisingly fall (S), the need is thought to be greater than most others believe/admit to (WR), players in waiting aren't ready despite the hopes of the team/fans (LB, S) Injury leads to necessity (DT) or the team drafts the position higher than it ever has (OG).

While it's possible that one of the above will be the case, I'm not sure you could get great odds for it.

It looks like #29 is the wrong spot to draft for positions we need. Conclusion, trade down with 29 to get more middle picks. I'd even consider using a 2015 3rd or 4th along with a 2014 6th to get an early 5th or late 4th.

It looks like #29 is the wrong spot to draft for positions we need. Conclusion, trade down with 29 to get more middle picks. I'd even consider using a 2015 3rd or 4th along with a 2014 6th to get an early 5th or late 4th.
Exactly, but you'll still get gullible fans buying into all of that none sense screaming "what a steal we got" or "what a reach that was" because some Internet draft guru said so. Or read it somewhere and re-repeated it.

That is really in hindsight. Its easy to say GB was 100% sure, but the jets were equally sure with Sanchez, for example.
The decision working out doesn't mean it was made with 100% certainty. There was as much, if not more, risk in Rodgers as in Sanchez on the day the pick was made. In retrospect one was smart and one was stupid but I doubt the Packers had more conviction than the Jets.

I am going to disagree here. There was more than enough concern about Sanchez coming out of USC. He wasn't proven and the offense there had stellar players that trampled on the competition. He didn't project well, whereas Rodgers was looked at as a possible #1 pick. In the games leading up to the draft, he showed his gun and mobility. It was perplexing how he could have dropped so far. I felt the same way about Rodgers as I did about Brett Favre, who also dropped into the 2nd round though his skills were abundantly clear.

I bet GB had a lot of conviction in this case. The Jets were just hoping.

On the other hand, Bridgewater is not a Rodgers or a Favre. Those guys had no holes in their games.

I am going to disagree here. There was more than enough concern about Sanchez coming out of USC. He wasn't proven and the offense there had stellar players that trampled on the competition. He didn't project well, whereas Rodgers was looked at as a possible #1 pick. In the games leading up to the draft, he showed his gun and mobility. It was perplexing how he could have dropped so far. I felt the same way about Rodgers as I did about Brett Favre, who also dropped into the 2nd round though his skills were abundantly clear.

On the other hand, Bridgewater is not a Rodgers or a Favre. Those guys had no holes in their games.
Rodgers plumetted to 24(?) or somewhere around there and Alex Smith went #1. If there was certainty about Rodgers then he would have gone much earlier.
Again, just because it turned out that way doesn't mean the team that picked a guy at 24 was 100% certain he would succeed and the team that picked a guy at 5 and traded up to do so was hoping.
We can make the same argument with many QBs who made it or did not. The end result just isn't evidence of the certainty of the pick.

Everyone has holes in their game. Rodgers and Favre were and are no exception.

Favre threw 7 TD's and 6 INT's in 11 games his senior year at Southern Miss. Can you imagine using a 1st on a player with #'s like that now? This board would go nuclear.

Rodgers plumetted to 24(?) or somewhere around there and Alex Smith went #1. If there was certainty about Rodgers then he would have gone much earlier.
Again, just because it turned out that way doesn't mean the team that picked a guy at 24 was 100% certain he would succeed and the team that picked a guy at 5 and traded up to do so was hoping.
We can make the same argument with many QBs who made it or did not. The end result just isn't evidence of the certainty of the pick.

I'm talking about the evaluations pre-draft and how people felt about these players. There was considerable and very strong support for Rodgers going #1 from many scouts and people who watched college football. That ended when SF decided Alex Smith was the man.

Favre threw 7 TD's and 6 INT's in 11 games his senior year at Southern Miss. Can you imagine using a 1st on a player with #'s like that now? This board would go nuclear.

I remember watching the Senior Bowl like it was yesterday. I remember the announcers raving like they never had before. The guy throwing the ball that day had a rifle arm and more talent than they'd seen in eons. He could have been a big bust like Jeff George (they were similar players) but what I am telling you is that these two players in particular had all the confidence in the world behind them. They were IT players. Just like Jeff George. This doesn't mean they were going to make it in the pros. After all, George didn't. But it does mean they had a degree of confidence that Mark Sanchez never had. And the reason Favre likely went in the second round is precisely because he played for So. Miss.

I'm talking about the evaluations pre-draft and how people felt about these players. There was considerable and very strong support for Rodgers going #1 from many scouts and people who watched college football. That ended when SF decided Alex Smith was the man.
I was too. Pre-draft, Rodgers supposedly needed work on his touch on the long ball and was leaving his receivers hanging out to dry all too often, had bad foot work, and his pocket presence needed work. Like I said, everyone has holes in their game and Rodgers was no exception.

Perception does not equal reality. He was drafted 24th (or somewhere around there).
If he was a 100% certainty he would not have fallen. However, no one is a 100% certainty as proven by the numerous QBs taken very high who were not worth it.
Russell, Smith,Sanchez, Couch, Carr to name a few all were considered more of a certainty than Rodgers. You can argue that but the fact is someone would have drafted him before he fell to GB if that were the case.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back