PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teddy Bridgewater's falling stock.

I am NOT a college football follower at all (I'd just rather watch another pro NFL game).

But is there any truth to a statement I heard when tuning into a station (missed any context) that next years QB class is probably going to be much better than anything available this year?
If Hackenberg was somehow able to come out along with Winston, then yes. Otherwise, definitely not.

I've never seen more than those highlights of him, but if they reflect his overall play then I think it's a good decision to draft him if he falls. Judging just by that highlight video he has a beautiful throw with a very quick release.

I just read "ESPN's Mark Dominik suggested on NFL Insidersthat Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel will "fall a little more than people think" in May's draft."

While I don't think we have a strong QB class this year. I still believe there will be 3 QBs drafted in the first round. To take a top rated QB in the 2nd round is just wishful think.

If we can get a 2nd and a future 1st for Bridgewater's rights, then I trade the #29 pick.

Now if I get no good trade-down offers, I might consider Teddy Bridgewater. But it all depends on how the Pats view him. If they think he is a 1st round talent at the QB position it's a no-brainer.

You take him, let him learn, exercise the 5th year option, and hope he's the next Rodgers. Favre->Rodgers meant that the Pack were able to be competitive again a LOT sooner.

Caveat -- Size is a concern though. 6'2 214 with only 9 1/4" hands. Size isn't everything but at least Brady had prototype height at 6'4.

For any of you that didn't watch him in college, here is some viewing for you...

I had not seen him play in college but that video is an eye-opener. That is a very, very impressive QB. Very quick release, good decision making, and deep accuracy. And those receivers were running complex routes.

Really not a fan of his release, low arm and it looks like he flicks the ball out of his hand, at his height combined with the low release I can see a lot of tipped passes at the LOS in his future.

It's possible IMO that both Jacksonville & Houston ignore QB at the top of the draft (both go pass rush or the Jags go with Watkins), if that happens and Bridgewater is there when the Pats are on the clock I suspect the Jags would be making a phone call with a trade offer thus leapfrogging the Texans and getting themselves a QB. Denver could also be a landing spot for him because fivehead has less time than Brady left in him. Even San Fran who might not be willing to pay Kaepernick $20m a year - and rightly so because he isn't worth that, which adds to the need to jump up to #29 to snag him which could result in a nice haul of picks for New England.

Really not a fan of his release, low arm and it looks like he flicks the ball out of his hand, at his height combined with the low release I can see a lot of tipped passes at the LOS in his future.

It's possible IMO that both Jacksonville & Houston ignore QB at the top of the draft (both go pass rush or the Jags go with Watkins), if that happens and Bridgewater is there when the Pats are on the clock I suspect the Jags would be making a phone call with a trade offer thus leapfrogging the Texans and getting themselves a QB. Denver could also be a landing spot for him because fivehead has less time than Brady left in him. Even San Fran who might not be willing to pay Kaepernick $20m a year - and rightly so because he isn't worth that, which adds to the need to jump up to #29 to snag him which could result in a nice haul of picks for New England.
I'm not fond of any Quarterback in this year's draft. It's my preference for the Patriots to fill other team needs (and they do have them) ahead of Quarterback.

I'm pretty sure that if Bridgewater is on board on #29, we would receive a nice, fat offer for it. Drafting Brady's replacement now is a waste. He played on a extreme high level last year and I don't envision a declining anytime soon.

I'm a HUGE supporter for a DE in the First. Wouldn't be mad with a Trade Down

The QB drops back...1....2...3...he hits the receiver in stride. We have one of those. AFC Champ game...the one we HAVE , drops back...1....2...smashed in the face by a bullrush through the A gap. WE NEED A CENTER. A physically talented, young anchor. A player who can kick Wendell in his azz and make him sit the bench as a backup. DELIVER the blow, don't take it. We have punching bags for inside O linemen and it has to be rectified.

The QB drops back...1....2...3...he hits the receiver in stride. We have one of those. AFC Champ game...the one we HAVE , drops back...1....2...smashed in the face by a bullrush through the A gap. WE NEED A CENTER. A physically talented, young anchor. A player who can kick Wendell in his azz and make him sit the bench as a backup. DELIVER the blow, don't take it. We have punching bags for inside O linemen and it has to be rectified.
You don't understand. We need wide receivers. I say we should choose wide receivers with every pick in the draft, then find a few quarterbacks as UDFAs. Then we can play Madden every day waiting for fantasy football to start. Maybe we can trade Mankins, Connolly and Vollmer for a couple veteran wide receivers to stoke competition in camp. If we bring in, say, 23 or 24 wide receivers, eight or nine should be good enough to make the opening day roster. Then we can phase out Brady with a good run-and-gun QB or two.

Last edited:
A draft just FULL of juniors and a sophomore.

I mean other than the seniors Carr, Garapolo, McCarron, Savage, Fales, Mettenberger, Murray, Thomas, Boyd, Morris, Shaw, Renner, Matthews, Franklin, etc., etc. etc.

Wait, out of the 25 highest ranked QBs in this years draft, 21 of them are seniors. That's 3 juniors (one a redshirt junior) and one redshirt sophomore.

Yup a draft just FULL of them.

_

If he falls to #29, I'm honestly convinced that he's the best player on the board and the Pats need to grab him.
JaMarcus Bridgewater is going to be epic fail in the NFL. I wouldn't take him in the 7th round, let alone the 1st.

There are only 2 quarterbacks in this year's class I would want backing up Brady. 1 is Bortles, who will be long gone. The other is Derek Carr, which I think would be very interesting, but I am not sure I want to spend a 1st rounder on him, which is probably what it would take.

I'd agree, this QB draft class is better than the upcoming 3 classes (as of right now), other than Winston & Mariota, there aren't many high ceiling prospects in college football. I think I'd take Mettenberger, McCarron or Jeff Matthews with a middle or late pick than take a QB early when there are so many other needs on the roster.

Any of Mettenberger, Murray, or McCarron for me.

The 3 "M's" and the 3 SEC quarterbacks that should be had anywhere between the late 2nd/mid 4th seems like a much better use of draft resources--as you've said.

Not a fan whatsoever of taking Teddy Bridgewater in the first round.

Agreed, although we could go back to Connelly at center---not that I personally think that would solve much of the issue.

I'd like to see the position addressed, and I'd guess that it will be, but the first round may be too early depending on Belichick's personal feeling of course.

In regards to the interior OL problems, I sometimes wonder if the extra 1/2 second--1 second that we were forced to see from the horrible situation of receiving options last year may have come into the equation as well?

Just a thought on all the QB visits, and let's face it, we've looked at almost all of them, but consider that some, or many, of these QBs will become free agents in four years time, quite possibly just around the time we need a backup at the very least. In what is a very deep but not top heavy QB class, isn't it a good (and smart) job that we've got a pretty good picture of a whole bunch of these QBs?

I hope he can go at a high level, but he's sustained and taken a lot of punishment over the course of his career. The rules changes happened almost six years after he came into the league and, even after, he's still taken some hellacious shots that he's simply gotten up from because he's a tough son of a *****. More than likely, we'll probably see him noticeably decline somehwere around 39-40. The team needs to get out in front of that.

Agree right up until your last sentence. Why the fascination with this year's QB crop vs say the 2016 crop? Getting in front of that by urinating away a 1 or 2 draft pick THIS year so a trainee can sit for 3-4 years compromises our chances to see another Lombardi before Brady is done. Compared to the elite teams, this team has holes. Holes that at this point are only addressable in the draft. If it's really a deep draft as claimed, Pats should use the depth, possibly trading down a few spots in round 1 and adding late picks or a 2015 to trade up in rounds 3 and 4.

I'd feel much better taking our very best shots the next 3 years, ending with a solid team minus the QB and using a FA vet IF NEEDED as a 2 year mediocre or worse bridge to the next franchise QB.

There is no first round talent at center. Those can be had in rounds 2 and 3.

JaMarcus Bridgewater is going to be epic fail in the NFL. I wouldn't take him in the 7th round, let alone the 1st.
Thanks. That you're posting this makes me feel better than ever about Bridgewater.

Agree right up until your last sentence. Why the fascination with this year's QB crop vs say the 2016 crop? Getting in front of that by urinating away a 1 or 2 draft pick THIS year so a trainee can sit for 3-4 years compromises our chances to see another Lombardi before Brady is done. Compared to the elite teams, this team has holes. Holes that at this point are only addressable in the draft. If it's really a deep draft as claimed, Pats should use the depth, possibly trading down a few spots in round 1 and adding late picks or a 2015 to trade up in rounds 3 and 4.

I'd feel much better taking our very best shots the next 3 years, ending with a solid team minus the QB and using a FA vet IF NEEDED as a 2 year mediocre or worse bridge to the next franchise QB.
I'm fine with trading down if the talent that I would prefer isn't there. But if you have a chance to draft your future franchise quarterback at 29 even if he is backing up Brady for a few years, you do it.

I'm fine with trading down if the talent that I would prefer isn't there. But if you have a chance to draft your future franchise quarterback at 29 even if he is backing up Brady for a few years, you do it.

The only way I'd agree with that would be if an Orphan Black clone of Andrew Luck in this year's draft slipped to 29. Otherwise fuggataboutit.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back