PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ted Wells continues to be....BLINDED BY SCIENCE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Kraft is even aware that this site exists since I don't understand why he'd care to have it updated after he gave up.

I really don't know. Anderson says he used one gauge, Wells Report says he used the other and this report says he used both. Both Wells and this author discount what Anderson said. In a way instead it added more doubt. The author coudn't make the science work with just using the gauge Anderson said he used. Wells Report sites differences that could only happen with deliberate tampering and there were no other reasons to explain the difference. This author explains how the differences could be accounted for if both gauges were used.

Thanks for posting this, I had not seen it. Here's part of Steve McIntrye's summary on his website climateaudit.org

"The findings depend on the interpretation of statistical data by decision-makers – a topic that interests me. I found the technical report by Exponent, Wells’ technical consultants, to be very unsatisfactory on numerous counts:

.although they were reported by Wells to have considered “all permutations”, they hadn’t. On important occasions, they omitted highly plausible possibilities that indicated no tampering and, on other occasions, they only considered assumptions that were most adverse to the Patriots;
.on key occasions, it seemed to me that Exponent failed to properly characterize exculpatory results.

At the end of my analysis, I concluded that their key technical findings were simply incorrect and wrote up my analysis, now online here."

I've tried to explain this to Patriots haters, but of course talking to them is like talking to a brick wall. It's nice to see actual scientists say these things.

Can Ted Wells ever be employed by anybody again? I mean 5M is a nice life severance package but I don't see how the NFL can ever use him again but Goodell is so arrogant and clueless stranger things have happened. Even if some other governing body is looking for a hatchet man I would think they would want one without the reputation for being so blatantly bias and clueless so his findings can't be overturned.

Can Ted Wells ever be employed by anybody again? I mean 5M is a nice life severance package but I don't see how the NFL can ever use him again but Goodell is so arrogant and clueless stranger things have happened. Even if some other governing body is looking for a hatchet man I would think they would want one without the reputation for being so blatantly bias and clueless so his findings can't be overturned.
At a minimum, his CV will include: "Led the investigation that uncovered conduct detrimental to the integrity of the NFL resulting in the NE Patriots forfeiting #1 and #4 draft picks and $1,000,000."

So Wells has Bill Nye the Science Guy backing him up and virtually every other scientist is against him.

Of course the Felgers/Adam Jones of the world will call that a wash and just throw the science out and that still doesn't get rid of the rest of the evidence. I say that is a BS argument. If Wells and Exponent could manipulate the science to make the Patriots look guilty, why is it impossible that Wells took a handful of texts over a year's time and took them out of context to make the Pats look guilty when they are not? The science is half the report and if there are serious questions about whether Wells and Exponent manipulated the science, you have to suspicious of all the evidence against the Pats.

At a minimum, his CV will include: "Led the investigation that uncovered conduct detrimental to the integrity of the NFL resulting in the NE Patriots forfeiting #1 and #4 draft picks and $1,000,000."

That's about the equivalent of Clark Griswold putting in "Forgot dog was tied to the bumper."

He doesn't get the whole $5m. A good chunk of that goes to the firm. I don't think he is listed as a partner.

I finally found a scientist who actually backs Wells and Exponent's science:

FVZOO6CH7ANSLLA.LARGE.jpg

"It would be shellfish of me if I didn't publicly back the science in the Wells Report 100%."

The problem is that Ted Wells was only paid 5m. Of course he didn't have time and resource to do a thorough investigation. Next time, the NFL needs to pay more. Start at 10m.

Can Ted Wells ever be employed by anybody again? I mean 5M is a nice life severance package but I don't see how the NFL can ever use him again...

One of the biggest problems with the NFL's whole process is that they use the same law firm more than once.

If Wells had been one and done, then there would have been no pressure to provide the result the nfl wanted.

One of the biggest problems with the NFL's whole process is that they use the same law firm more than once.

If Wells had been one and done, then there would have been no pressure to provide the result the nfl wanted.

Even if he was one and done, he had five million reasons to give the NFL the results they wanted.

The only way they could have had a truly independent investigator was to build a firewall between the investigator and the NFL. That would require them to hire a truly independent go between like a former Senator or Federal prosecutor, who would care about their reputation, to go out and hire a totally independent investigation firm with no ties to the NFL and be the only contact with them. The NFL could not actually have any contact with the investigation firm other when they interviewed League personnel and getting League data. All payments would go through the Senator/Federal Prosecutor and none directly from the NFL to the investigation firm.

This would never happen though because Goodell would lose control of the investigation process and he doesn't want that.

Even if he was one and done, he had five million reasons to give the NFL the results they wanted.

The only way they could have had a truly independent investigator was to build a firewall between the investigator and the NFL. That would require them to hire a truly independent go between like a former Senator or Federal prosecutor, who would care about their reputation, to go out and hire a totally independent investigation firm with no ties to the NFL and be the only contact with them. The NFL could not actually have any contact with the investigation firm other when they interviewed League personnel and getting League data. All payments would go through the Senator/Federal Prosecutor and none directly from the NFL to the investigation firm.

This would never happen though because Goodell would lose control of the investigation process and he doesn't want that.

They don't have it in their blood. For the Rice issue, the hiring of Robert Mueller who at the time was with WilmerHale (negotiated DirectTV contract for NFL) was a complete sham.

Hell Tags did a better job as an independent and even he was compromised to a degree.

But the only "pressure" there is that the NFL stiffs them on their payment. Unlikely.

Agreed that a truly independent investigator is ideal. But a one and done would be a vast improvement over the status quo.

So another report that tears the Exponent science to shreds. And I'll say it again: the intercepted ball measured 11.52 psi, and even looking at the worst possible numbers for the Patriots case there are just a few balls that are .3-.4 psi below the expected measurement. So McNally, at the behest of Brady, went into the bathroom and deflated a couple of balls .3-.4 psi and left the rest alone.

This story is so incredible preposterous. Even using the WORST data for the Pats you have to ignore all basic logic to conclude they deflated footballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back