Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ted Johnson = sour grapes

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Willie55, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Listening to Johnson on Felger tonight, it is very clear he has sour grapes.

* He said the Flutie kick was a mockery to all the guys out there busting their arse, especially guys like Bam Childress, who barely get a chance to play, and the one time they do the team doesn't want to win.

* He said in the NFL, guys are patted on the back enough for a job well done. Then he said "especially down there". Refering to Foxborough. He also said it was a grueling work environment.

* He also said he doesn't feel sorry for all the coaches being fired because they waive/drop players at the drop of a hat and dont think twice about it. With disdain, he also said the coaches use a portion of the NFLPA building rent free.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  2. desi-patsfan

desi-patsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

that guys are not patted enough? Is that what you meant to say? Otherwise i dont understand that statement.
  3. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

But what does he have sour grapes over? I just assumed that he's going out of his way to show he's objective and won't be a Pats lapdog now that he's a media guy. I also thought maybe he's just a smart guy that knows in the media, success usually follows controversy. (How else does Michael Irvin have a job?) I dunno, but it's not real fun to watch for Pats fans who loved big Ted.
  4. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Well, I wouldn't say he's wrong on two of the three points and the third, he's not entirely wrong. The dropkick did seem like kind of a mockery to me but it seems silly to want to win that game just because a guy like Bam Childress was playing. Him being on the field should have been enough especially considering he might see time in the playoffs too. Either way, I think those comments are being blown way out of proportion, then again....what's new?
  5. IndyKen

IndyKen Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think we all need a playoff game to focus on - and fast...:)
  6. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I like Ted, but this vitriol about the dropkick has gotten ridiculous. You'd think Flutie dropkicked a beloved family pet.
  7. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Enough

Just trying to stir up the pot like all the other media guys.

Didn't Flutie pay his dues? If anyone derserved a chance to try that kick it was Fluite.
  8. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hasn't Flutie done enough over his career to warrant something like this in likely his last year?

I love ya Ted, but what's up with the attitude?
  9. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Sorry I forgot the 'not'.

The entire system of the NFL how it chews up players and spits them out. Also I detected a hint of animosity towards BB.

FWIW, he also started in again how the Pats DB's wouldn't be able to keep up with the Colts, if and when they play.
  10. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Just to clarify, in my earlier post (not that you were referring to me, but..) I wasn't referring specifically to his comments tonight, but the overall tone in addition to some of his comments in the past couple of weeks. Nothing outlandish, and I don't mean to blow it out of proportion, just a surprising tone from him lately, that's all.
  11. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think Ted has lost his mind. More to the point, I think he feels like this team is on the cusp of another playoff run and he knows he's not going to be a part of it and it's killing him so he doesn't want them to win one without him.

How Flutie's kick impacts Bam Childress in any way completely escapes me. Maybe it's time for Ted to just STFU but then again, when you're in love with the sound of your own voice I suppose it's hard.

For the record, I should state I never liked Ted. Never thought he brought much to the table other than brittle biceps...but that's just me.
  12. nhpatsfan

nhpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Funny, Ted was there in the thick of the Kraft's Christmas party -

-why sour grapes now?
  13. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I guess I must clarify, I don't think TJ is part of the Bam Childress fan club, he just used him as a point of reference since this was his first, and possibly only chance, at the NFL.

BTW, I liked Ted when he played.
  14. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Because it's hitting him that his career is over and any future success his teammates have, he will have no part of whatsoever. That's why.
  15. IndyKen

IndyKen Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Could be, and if that's really the case, that is about as selfish as one could ever possibly be. Right now I'm really disappointed in Ted Johnson.
  16. nhpatsfan

nhpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have to agree. Say and believe what you will - but I can't abide hypocrisy.
  17. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

TJ , come on man

I do not understand where this bitterness is coming from? Why is he biting the hand that fed him for so many years.
    Without football, Ted Johnson would be an overweight laborer of some sort as opposed to being a rich man, I refer to wealth from family, friends, co-workers, coaches, owners - all of his extended football family to go along with his sizeable paychecks earned over his decade or so of playing.

This 'attitude" is going to get old very quick at this rate. Do not disrespect the game and those of us that passionatley follow and enjoy the game for their escape or for their hobby.
  18. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree. But even though I dislike him intensely, I can almost understand. I think athletes struggle to find an idenity outside of their sport when they're done playing. That goes for high school kids who never play another down to pros who have been playing for even longer. Your idenity becomes football. I would imagine the last few months, following his sudden retirement, havent been the best months of Ted Johnson's life.
  19. DrewWho?

DrewWho? Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

what has he done as Brady's back up???? this is not lifetime achievement award, he does not deserve anything more than a back up LB. you do not see Matt Chattam drop kick anything. Having said that, there's nothing wrong to make guys smile in a meaningless game. imagine Flutie missing that ball with his foot all together - that would have been funny, but do not give me "he earned it" crap.
  20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Wasn't Flutie a strikebreaker years back? Maybe there's still some ill-will towards him.