PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ted Johnson on NFL Network's Playbook tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
njpatsfan said:
Wow ... just wow.

TJ: " .. I'll tell you what, when it comes to the Colts, they have a balanced attack, for the first time, they're running the ball ... and their defense is stellar .. so I really don't think .... I think this is a different team, uh .. and I'm not sure the Patriots can get it done ... "

Q: .. so if they meet in the playoffs, you don't think the Patriots can beat them ?"

TJ: "You know honestly .. my honest opinion is ... that they can't. I really don't think .. I think our secondary is still too young .. theres not I lot of cont- .. you know these guys in a pressure situation .... I'll never forget, a coach telling me one time in the playoffs, 'Don't be the guy to send us home' ... I mean, that's a lot of pressure ... and these young guys ... we have two rookies back there ... and Asante, he's struggling a little bit ... and on that turf .... I tell you what that's going to be a tough task"

-R

It's that rookie Edgerrin James. :rolleyes:

Box_O_Rocks said:
You get the grim details out of the way then you dig deep, play hurt, and play mean - it's always amazing what you can do when you decide your going down hard no matter what. :mad: Game face time.

You know what, you are exactly right. It's the reality of the situation. Yeah, we're playing better but we have a long way to go. Being a former Patriot, TJ would know this better than anyone. He would have the mentality of not jumping the gun. In truth, it probably would have been more shocking for him to come out and say "Yeah, we're gonna do it all again." Very unPatriot-like. Plus, he would look like an unabashed homer.

Many of us decided that we were gonna win it again after last weekend's game, simple as that. It's actually a rather shocking turn of events, considering what the season has been like so far. TJ's analysis brought me back to earth with sort of a resounding thump, but I think it's good to get the grim reality out of the way now and just be prepared for the fight. Either way, this year has been a hell of a ride.

The big difference is the Patriots pass rush. They now have one. I said it at the beginning of the year, if you let a QB sit back w/out any pressure, he'll pick apart any secondary. A good pass rush will overcome a suspect secondary. The Pats are a completely different defense from the first time they met the Colts.

Ted has got a point but only to a degree. Ted also said that the 2002 team was better than this team. I think the only reason he would say such a thing is because he was on the 2002 team. I mean really, that 2002 team was terrible.

The strange thing about this team is that the last 3 games have been completely different than all the others. Teams such as the Bills, Saints, Dolphins put up huge numbers against us, as compared to other teams they faced. That has changed in the last 3 weeks. Now teams get about 1/2 of what they get against other teams. In my mind, that is an indication that something dramatic has changed on defense.

However, I would agree with Ted in that we have not faced a real QB since KC and we won't until we play either Indy or Denver in the Divisional round.That will be the moment of truth.

patsox23 said:
Ted is right about the secondary. And yes, Asante is a year older, but from what I've seen he is also undeniably WORSE, for what reason I don't know. I think for Ted, you and me and everyone else, we will have NO IDEA how good this team is until we play Indy. Because the way it's played out with our schedule, we started getting better against relatively questionable offenses. And Miami, jets and Jax aren't going to tell us much more than we already know right now.

That said, his comment that the Colts are "finally running the ball" is asinine to the point that you have to question every word that comes out of his mouth.
I suspect Asante is another example of the hidden injury bug, he looked to be limping in the Jets game,I know he was injured against the Saints and he just got off the injury report with an "infection". Ty Law 2003 redux?

Last edited:
Bella*chick said:
You know what, you are exactly right. It's the reality of the situation. Yeah, we're playing better but we have a long way to go. Being a former Patriot, TJ would know this better than anyone. He would have the mentality of not jumping the gun. In truth, it probably would have been more shocking for him to come out and say "Yeah, we're gonna do it all again." Very unPatriot-like. Plus, he would look like an unabashed homer.

Many of us decided that we were gonna win it again after last weekend's game, simple as that. It's actually a rather shocking turn of events, considering what the season has been like so far. TJ's analysis brought me back to earth with sort of a resounding thump, but I think it's good to get the grim reality out of the way now and just be prepared for the fight. Either way, this year has been a hell of a ride.
Heh, just the non-com in me, SNAFU - Situation Normal All Fornicated Up - right, understood, now we do it the hard way, one game-yard-play at a time. I hope Mr. Money for the Colts has his footy ready, because he's going to need it if they want to win - pressure kick time.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I suspect Asante is another example of the hidden injury bug, he looked to be limping in the Jets game,I know he was injured against the Saints and he just got off the injury report with an "infection". Ty Law 2003 redux?
Dan Pires reported that the infection had to do with his wisdom teeth, but he's the only one I've seen mention that. Don't know if it's got any validity or not.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Dan Pires reported that the infection had to do with his wisdom teeth, but he's the only one I've seen mention that. Don't know if it's got any validity or not.
Thanks T, odd how the fuel intake on our 'Indy Car' models can affect the whole system.... :eek:

The Colts, to me, appear about as much better than we are THIS year ... as they did this time last year ... on paper. The slight differences are that their D is better, while our O is better. They'll have homefield. OK.

The Pats' big hole card is that ... the playoff game at Indy will be the second time we face them this season. Except for our division foes, who know us as well as we know ourselves and vice versa ... BB simply doesn't lose the second game of any season, when we see someone a second time.

Play ball!

mosi said:
I mean really, that 2002 team was terrible.
9-7 and missed winning the division on the third tiebreaker is terrible? Have we picked up some spoiled fans since 2001 or what? have to wonder what you'd think of the teams in the late 80's - early 90's

spacecrime said:
9-7 and missed winning the division on the third tiebreaker is terrible? Have we picked up some spoiled fans since 2001 or what? have to wonder what you'd think of the teams in the late 80's - early 90's

I was speaking in comparison to the patriots of 2003, 2004, and 2005. My point being, I think TJ thinks higher of the 2002 team because he was on it. In my mind, this years team is better than the 2002 team. Actually, I think the defense is actually better AT THIS TIME of the year than it was at this time last year. I often wonder if our easy games were at the beginning of the year and the hard games at the end, what our record would be.

TJ is now an ex-player and a media guy. He is giving his opinion. How many ex-players in the media give their opinions on who will win games and are wrong? Quite a few, including another one of my favorites- Steve Nelson.

I would never question TJ on technical aspects of playing LB's or knowledge on various defensives. But his opinion on predicting who will win or lose in the playoffs is as good as yours or mine.

flutie2phelan said:
The Colts, to me, appear about as much better than we are THIS year ... as they did this time last year ... on paper. The slight differences are that their D is better, while our O is better. They'll have homefield. OK.

The Pats' big hole card is that ... the playoff game at Indy will be the second time we face them this season. Except for our division foes, who know us as well as we know ourselves and vice versa ... BB simply doesn't lose the second game of any season, when we see someone a second time.

Play ball!

One other big point, Sey has not played healthy against the Colts in 2 yrs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back