Welcome to PatsFans.com

Technophobic GOP candidates likely to skip CNN/YouTube debate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Seymour93, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No more complaining about Dems skipping the Fox Noise debate then.... :rolleyes:

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1647805,00.html

The Republican Party... the party for old people.

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

That's pretty pathetic if they do. Most pundits thought the Dem debate was very well done and entertaining. I agree. Some of the gimmicks in the youtube questions were kind of silly, but it created a much more interesting environment and kept the candidates on their toes.

That said, I like Thompson's approach. Not declaring until late, so that his liberal past doesn't get too much scrutiny and so he doesn't have to prepare for too many debates. The old coot is known for being lazy, so I guess he figures the longer he waits the less energy he has to exert. Dole sort of did that, too. Never campaigned too hard.

And as far as the Republican Party being the party of old people, you're right (though we shouldn't forget that old people are more likely to vote than young people):

http://www.pensitoreview.com/2007/07/01/poll-gop-updates-look-at-elephant-in-mirror/

For Democrats, the most interesting trend is the GOP’s age demographics, which have skewed dramatically older over the decade. The percentage of Republicans age 55 and older grew from 28 percent in 1997 to 41 percent now, while the number of 18- to 37-year-olds dropped from 25 percent to 17 percent.

3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree as well. It was very entertaining. I couldn't stop laughing the entire evening :rofl:

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -2

They'd be just as dumb as I thought the Dems were for skipping the Fox debate. Of course, the people criticizing the GOP right now, were all giddy and supportive of the Dems for dooing what the GOP might this time around. It's good to see how honest, objective, and spade calling most people are.

5. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

that last line wasnt a racist shot at Obama was it? ;)

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What's Obama got to do with shovels?

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

I'm consistent. I welcomed the Democrats boycotting Fox and I welcome the Republicans boycotting Youtube. In both cases it's a good move for the Democrats. That explains why you oppose what both the Republicans and Democrats are doing. They are hurting your party and helping the Democrats.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

I love watching Pant Suit Hillary when she trys to sing, she couldn't carry a tune in a fish barrel.

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

let's see what their excuse is this time...

CNN Calls Republicans’ Bluff, Reschedules YouTube Debate

On July 23, all eight Democratic presidential candidates participated in the CNN/YouTube debate. By uploading a 30-second video to YouTube, “voters could directly question a presidential candidate during the debate.” Steve Grove, YouTube’s news and politics editor, called this new debate format “more democratic than ever.”

Yet so far, just three Republican presidential candidates — Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), and as of yesterday, Tommy Thompson — have confirmed that they will participate in the Sept. 17 debate.

Both former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney have said that they have scheduling conflicts. CNN has called their bluff. The website for Republican presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) reports today that CNN has postponed the September debate:

10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Think they were bullied by moveon.org to skip it or face the their rath? Seriously though. I think they would be making a mistake just as the dems did by skipping the Fox debate(chicken sh*ts). If they want the young vote here's a perfect opportunity to make their case. Somehow though I think the righty haters will come out to try embarass the candidates so they better be prepared. I think the questions will be more like attacks and accusations than actual questions. Mark my words on that. These will be way worse than anything Brit Hume would have posed.

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

This whole election thing is getting pretty boring, pretty soon they will be all required to have a myspace account and we can poll them by how many friends they have.. it is what it is, a a very expensive road for rich people who want the brass ring.

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

At least in the primary, the Democrats are no more likely to participate in a debate sponsored by Fox as the Republicans are likely to participate in one sponsored by MoveOn. Typically, during primary candidates participate in debates sponsored by legitimate news sources or sympathetic groups.

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What I find interesting is that there's been no real hue and cry from the left 1/2 of this board. Perhaps that has something to do with the absence of a certain former poster from Arizona, or could it be that the 'rightish' element of this board can't help but get emotional over every little slight? This question is definitely worth pondering.

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

I miss Nem.

15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The Repubs are smart as foxes. The over-exposure of the Dems has already turned off so many of the American public. As Hillarious, Obama and the other Dems cruise the country, out there like vultures trying to capitalize on some perceived weakness in U.S. role in the world, the Repubs can just sit back and watch them implode in their frenzied lust for POWER!! :eek:

The Republicans don't need a stacked YOUTube crowd amped up with their favorite Jon Stewart and MTV party line anti-Americanism.

CNN later? Maybe, if they ever come back down to earth.

YOUTube ever? Not a chance.

//

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

Why in the name of God would any sensible right wing patriotic family value republican want to seen on "you tube" :confused:

You Tube is for the new left wing Democrats and the Hollywood Wife Swappers.

"You Tube People" all carry pictures of Brithey Spears Vagina in their wallets.
    :bricks:

17. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

What the hell are you talking about? You tube is one of the most used video sites on the web and it is seen by millions of people.

18. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Fox News is not in the category of moveon.org. Moveon is getting to be a very radical organization. Fox is as right wing as MSNBC is left wing.

19. Patters

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

That's how you see it. Fox News is every bit as political as Move On. Though I don't have cable, I certainly have watched a lot of news while on business trips (and often staying in hotels that seem to offer nothing but news stations). It's dominated by strong and effective conservative pundits and a handful of weak and ineffective liberals. The only difference between Move On and Fox is that Move On doesn't purport to be a fair and balanced outlet of news.

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

I know, so is Fox News.