PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tebucky signed a two year deal worth $2 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE39 said:
Clayton also reports the signing bonus as $300K.
Normally, one would think that this decent signing bonus) meant his chances of sticking were greater, but this year BB seems to be going for two year contracts with a bonus. Perhaps the extra cap room gives him the luxury of using a signing bonus to get a two-year contract. Too many times we signa guy for a year, he does well, and then some other team offers him bigger bucks. SInce BB has cap to burn, this may be a good use of some of it.

sounds right on the money

spacecrime said:
Normally, one would think that this decent signing bonus) meant his chances of sticking were greater, but this year BB seems to be going for two year contracts with a bonus. Perhaps the extra cap room gives him the luxury of using a signing bonus to get a two-year contract. Too many times we signa guy for a year, he does well, and then some other team offers him bigger bucks. SInce BB has cap to burn, this may be a good use of some of it.

seems like a plausible scenario to me.
clearly the 2-year contract approach patriots have been using is part of somebody's thinking about what happens aafter the 2007 season. perhaps some of us have read the cba closely enough to divine the rationale.
for me all i can think of is that BB does not expect to be here for 2008. from recent nfl/herald/globe articles on this, belichick's contract, set to expire after the 2006 season, was extended. nobody's asying (yet) the length of the extension.
will mcdonough, where are ye?

Does the amount of $ indicate he may be doing a bit more than playing ST's?
Or am I reading too much into it.? What's the vet min?

ilduce06410 said:
for me all i can think of is that BB does not expect to be here for 2008.
Although you may be right, none of us can know, it's more likely just a win-win where we get a player fairly cheap but on a short enough contract that they can still hope for another, bigger one if they do well. I don't think the length of contracts of Tebucky, Reche Caldwell and Mel Mitchell are significant indicators of Belichick's pending retirement.

CrazyDave said:
From Miguel's page :

Rookie - $275,000
1 Credited Season - $350,000
2 Credited Seasons - $425,000
3 Credited Seasons - $500,000
4 to 6 Credited Seasons - $585,000 *
7 to 9 Credited Seasons - $710,000 *
10+ Credited Seasons - $810,000 *

*All salaries for players with four or more years of experience AND who sign contracts that qualify for veteran's exemption will only count $425,000 against teams' salary caps.

I think he's in the $710,000 minimum range.

CrazyDave said:

I would have to say "yes", it does appear that he's looking at more than just ST. He's getting more than Mel Mitchell, who is arguably a top ST player at the same position as TJ. On the other hand, a guy like Chatham got even more $$$ and he's really just a STer with some potential to play regular downs in a pinch. Perhaps there are other recent FA signings of top ST players that can be used as a benchmark. But based on these two examples, I would say Mitchell (veteran $, tiny bonus) probably came up on the short end of things.

I think the 2-year deals are more attractive to potential FA's. When guys sign for one-year the clock's already ticking and they think about where they're going to play next year.

One thing I've never been able to figure is, how could anyone in their right mind name their kid "Tebucky?"

I think some of these deals come under the category of "bridge player" a term often used by Tom Curran, I find it hard to read anything else into it.

CrazyDave said:

We tend to demonize players after they leave.

We also look at Tebuck's shortcomings which we realized and others didn't.

Let's look at the facts.

We traded Tebuck because he wanted to be the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY in the NFL.

He wasn't worth that. But he's not strictly a special teamer either.

For all posters, 1% of players are the best, (Rodney Harrison, Reed, Pomelau) 1% are garbage, (cup of coffee), the other 98% make up the bulk of the NFL.

Until proven otherwise, Scott, Sanders and Tebucky are in the 98%.

So are the great majority of safeties in the league.

Tebucky is an experienced starting safety in the NFL. And a great ST player.

We know his strengths and weaknesses and he improves us in 2 areas.

He thought he was a top 1%, (he wasn't), but he's never been in the bottom 1%.

And for those who'd like to discard after every season, a new player has a much greater chance of landing in the bottom 1% than a player, (Scott, Sanders), that's been through a training campor two.

Last edited:
GJAJ15 said:
I think some of these deals come under the category of "bridge player" a term often used by Tom Curran, I find it hard to read anything else into it.
I know what you mean. It isn't the concract per se, but the sudden change of BB philosophy, from one-year deal to two. maybe it is just a coincidence.

RayClay said:

Let's look at the facts.

For all posters, 1% of players are the best, (Rodney Harrison, Reed, Pomelau) 1% are garbage, (cup of coffee), the other 98% make up the bulk of the NFL.

And for those who'd like to discard after every season, a new player has a much greater chance of landing in the bottom 1% than a player, (Scott, Sanders), that's been through a training campor two.

very good post

RayClay said:

Let's look at the facts.

Thanks for the input. I think you're right. He started for us, not because of injuries. The Saints apparently thought a lot of him. He makes this team better, and talk of him not making the team seems far fetched to me.
Just my opinion.

I hate to say it, but Tebucky's deal almost guarantee's him being on the team come September, unless BB is willing to kiss $300K goodbye, which I doubt.

I think that the signings of Mitchell and Jones does not bode well for Guss Scott OR James Sanders. I just don't see the Pats carrying 6 safeties and 6 DBs, unless they are MAJORLY gunshy about the possibility of injury.

I think that their signings all but eliminate the potential of drafting either a DB OR a safety in the draft.

DaBruinz said:
I hate to say it, but Tebucky's deal almost guarantee's him being on the team come September, unless BB is willing to kiss $300K goodbye, which I doubt.

I think that the signings of Mitchell and Jones does not bode well for Guss Scott OR James Sanders. I just don't see the Pats carrying 6 safeties and 6 DBs, unless they are MAJORLY gunshy about the possibility of injury.

I think that their signings all but eliminate the potential of drafting either a DB OR a safety in the draft.
That's possible. Scott's status may be quite uncertain at this point. Tough with recurring injuries.

I believe he kissed $250K+ goodbye when he waved to David Terrell on his way out the door. That money in our current cap situation means nothing. He'll retain the best and the rest can move on or hit the PS or hang out on the shadow team. Because the JETS were also kicking Tebucky's tires and he had a relationship with Eric there as well, there had to be some incentive for him to show up for the offseason and TC.

DaBruinz said:
I expect to see 11 DBs.

CB : Hobbs, Samuel, Gay. Scott, Warfield.
S : Wilson, Harrison, Hawkins, Tebucky, Mitchell, Sanders.

Warfield is a lot more durable than Poole, reducing the likliehood we'll need a 6th CB and Hawkins can move to CB in an emergency. This is one more Safety than we really need but we can keep an extra Safety over a ST LB from last year like Chatham or maybe Klecko's time has finally come. The above 11 is a good mix of youth, experience, depth and ST ability.

DaBruinz said:
He's already kissed the $300K goodbye. It's a sunk cost.

All it means is that BB thinks Tebucky is worth the risk that he doesn't make the team. And $300K isn't much - it's less than 0.3% of the salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots