PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tebow working on zone-read plays in practice (EDIT: and "catching passes" too)

Not quite sure what you are trying to address or correct, but...

A Zone-read allows an opposing DE to be unblocked. This creates a blocking mismatch in favor of the O. If the unblocked DE cuts-in and closes in on the RB; the QB simply keeps the ball and runs off tackle. If the DE stays at home, the ball is handed off to the RB who, again, has a numbers mismatch in his favor....

EDIT: And yes, this is a concept that is pretty far removed from what NE has done in the past on O. I don't recall any reports of them doing this in the past in practice (certainly never in a game). Saying it's akin to a simple bootleg really isn't true; totally different blocking...

Thanks for the update -- I leave it to your speculation on whether you believe the Patriots really installed all of this before the first morning of training camp.

I believe the OP must have seen Tebow place the ball in the belly of the running back, and pull it out, and lumped this under the concept of "zone read." But whatever it was, it's not an indication of any special "package" for Tebow. I believe it was just a rep like any other being run by the third string QB, and if they tweaked for Tebow so be it. Not really news.

Not quite sure what you are trying to address or correct, but...

I was "addressing or correcting" the notion the implied notion that there was some sort of Tebow offense detectable from someone seeing what they called "zone read." Zone read is a very common play in the NFL now.

seriously Im not posting this to be an ******* but there is a training camp thread. I really don't want the forums to turn into tebow mania so can we keep all training camp related news that isn't injury related in there. Again not being an ******* but I and I think many other posters would like a single thread where we can discuss all training camp news in one place instead of having 6 different threads.

What do we talk about in the other threads, recipes?

If the Patriots need a back-up for the back-up, they'll be in deep trouble and the street free agent market will include guys with more experience and who are better passers than Tim Tebow.

There are guys like Tarvaris Jackson, Vince Young, Tyler Thigpen, Jordan Palmer, etc. still without a team right now, and another 30-plus guys soon to be available when cut downs begin. What's Charlie batch doing? He was superb for the Steelers last season.

I'm sorry, but I don't get this Tebow experiment at all. The sooner he gets cut the better.

Tebow isnt getting cut.

He will play special teams, some H back, TE and some QB.

Tebow isnt getting cut.

He will play special teams, some H back, TE and some QB.

Thats how I see it.

Bill loves versatility and work ethic Tebow is reported to have to say nothing of the talent... all of which is probably worth a roster spot right there.

If Tebow can be coached into fixing his throwing mechanics then the potential trade value/upside is huge.

Thats how I see it.

Bill loves versatility and work ethic Tebow is reported to have to say nothing of the talent... which is probably worth a roster spot right there.

If Tebow can be coached into fixing his throwing mechanics then the potential trade value/upside is huge.

He's been throwing like that since he was in high school and it hasn't been fixed yet. I wouldn't count on it in the pros, while the kid is on his third team. People, quarterbacks particularly in the NFL, are creatures of habit. Even if he keeps working on it, he'll probably revert back to his old mechanics when under stress.

There are those who want this to be different than it is, but in the words of Tom E. Curran...

"Practice over. Tebow Horrendous"

Mike Reiss comments..

* Tim Tebow had struggles on Friday, starting with a delayed read on his first 7-on-7 rep. Tebow short-armed a few throws, had some passes deflected and forced a couple throws into coverage, one of which was picked off by safety Nate Ebner. What also stood out from Tebow is his ability to break the pocket. His movement skills are unique for the quarterback position, as many know.

There are exactly ZERO plays that it is worth benching Brady to bring in Tebow.

What offensive plays do not have Brady? 4th down.

For "real" punts, use Mesko. If it would be a loooong FG or hoping to pin them deep (say across the 50 to the 35) once in a while bring in Tebow instead of Mesko. The defense has to respect the fake and he can pooch it sometimes. Other times he runs a play. If they make it, he comes out for Brady. If not, it is like a real good run back.

Or not.:)

There are guys like Tarvaris Jackson, Vince Young, Tyler Thigpen, Jordan Palmer, etc. still without a team right now, and another 30-plus guys soon to be available when cut downs begin. What's Charlie batch doing? He was superb for the Steelers last season.

Just curious, what are their playoff records?

If the Patriots need a back-up for the back-up, they'll be in deep trouble and the street free agent market will include guys with more experience and who are better passers than Tim Tebow.

I'm sorry, but I don't get this Tebow experiment at all. The sooner he gets cut the better.

Well Bill Belichick sees alot in Tebow. What he sees is a good football player with a good work ethic who will do anything to help his team win.That in it self makes a valuable team member. In addition, Tebow is a winner and every NFL team wants a winner. Overall, he will make an excellent person to fill the final roster.

UFC Champion Chris Weidman Stands Up for Tim Tebow v s Stephen A Smith - YouTube

You tell 'em, **** & Gagootz...!!!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/****boots.jpg/220px-****boots.jpg

Well Bill Belichick sees alot in Tebow. What he sees is a good football player with a good work ethic who will do anything to help his team win.That in it self makes a valuable team member. In addition, Tebow is a winner and every NFL team wants a winner. Overall, he will make an excellent person to fill the final roster.

UFC Champion Chris Weidman Stands Up for Tim Tebow v s Stephen A Smith - YouTube
He sees a training aide for the D with a read-option QB.

On general principle, I whole-heartedly agree with you. however, he's getting older and I've seen his head get crushed a few times. but, then again he's a football player.

Besides, I'm not sure BB would even be able to pull him off the field :).

If Tim has to take any meaning full snaps we are in big trouble. Nice guy, good teamate, not a good QB. IMO, he is a long shot to make the team.

Thanks for the update -- I leave it to your speculation on whether you believe the Patriots really installed all of this before the first morning of training camp.

Uh, no. I don't think they installed it; past tense. I think they are practicing it. And, yeah, the first day of practice is a pretty good day to start practicing stuff.

I believe the OP must have seen Tebow place the ball in the belly of the running back, and pull it out, and lumped this under the concept of "zone read."
No, Gresh and Zolak were talking about the use of the zone-read today; they were at the practice. They saw it. I'll take their word over your assumptions.

But whatever it was, it's not an indication of any special "package" for Tebow. I believe it was just a rep like any other being run by the third string QB, and if they tweaked for Tebow so be it. Not really news.
Except no one claimed there was a "special package" at all. That's you putting words in people's mouths (and quoting words that were never said).

I was "addressing or correcting" the notion the implied notion that there was some sort of Tebow offense detectable from someone seeing what they called "zone read." Zone read is a very common play in the NFL now.
Uh, no one -- not me or Gresh/Zo -- claimed that there was a "Tebow-offense." Now your just putting words in mouths, to an absurd degree.

Uh, no. I don't think they installed it; past tense. I think they are practicing it. And, yeah, the first day of practice is a pretty good day to start practicing stuff.

No, Gresh and Zolak were talking about the use of the zone-read today; they were at the practice. They saw it. I'll take their word over your assumptions.

Except no one claimed there was a "special package" at all. That's you putting words in people's mouths (and quoting words that were never said).

Uh, no one -- not me or Gresh/Zo -- claimed that there was a "Tebow-offense." Now your just putting words in mouths, to an absurd degree.

You're over-thinking it. I was not arguing with anyone or disputing anything. I was downplaying the significance of the entire thing. I am skeptical that they've done anything of any significance that would involve other players having to learn special blocking schemes or plays that are not in the regular playbook. I speculate that all that was really observed was (1) Tebow in shotgun; and (2) Tebow faking the ball to a back from shotgun.

To the extent you think I was putting words in people's mouths, I was not -- I was posting what I wanted, downplaying all the things that one should not conclude from this minor observation.

No one is talking about benching Brady

But I'm still not quite sure why the prospect of Tebow catching passes or running the ball is viewed by so many as an affront to Brady - or undermining the game in some way.

Brady doesn't throw the ball on every play you know

... A Zone-read allows an opposing DE to be unblocked. This creates a blocking mismatch in favor of the O. If the unblocked DE cuts-in and closes in on the RB; the QB simply keeps the ball and runs off tackle. If the DE stays at home, the ball is handed off to the RB who, again, has a numbers mismatch in his favor....

EDIT: And yes, this is a concept that is pretty far removed from what NE has done in the past on O. I don't recall any reports of them doing this in the past in practice (certainly never in a game). Saying it's akin to a simple bootleg really isn't true; totally different blocking...

I thought this Marshal Faulk interview of Kaepernick today was a nice explanation / demonstration of the Read Option:

The read option through San Francisco QB Colin Kaepernick's eyes - NFL Videos

Why are people starting threads about seventh stringers?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back