Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you be in favor of adding Tebow to the Pats

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 6 of the 13 games he started he had a QB rating of 90 or better. He also rushed for 49+ yards in 8 games. His style is not pretty, but results are all that matter.

His rating was 72, 27th in the league. Are you really going to say that is better because less than half the games hit 90?
His 'style' produced poor offense, but luckily for the Broncos thier defense over came that.
His team only scored 20 points in 4 games out of 13.
Are you seriously telling me those are good results?

Hoyer has never thrown a meaningful pass at the professional level. Brian could very well end up being a better QB than Tebow, but anything past this season is irrelevant to discussion since he only has one year left on his contract, Mallett is being groomed to take his spot and by all indications he's looking to get a chance at starting somewhere.
So you don't want a backup QB who may develop into a starter? Just what is your point here?

I think it would be a complete mistake to start a guy who has only 43 passing attempts in garbage time if you've got Tebow on your roster.
What is relevant about that? Hoyer has more snaps playing in an NFL style offense than Tebow. Are you really going to put his experience running a glorified Wildcat where his coach was afraid to let him throw, ahead of spending 3 years in the system?

Ok... decoys are useless. Wonderful point. You're totally right that coaches rarely, if ever, use players as a decoy and find success even less of the time... Cool story.
OK, name one team that has used a 2nd QB in the red zone as a decoy to trick teams, and I will admit I am wrong.

Also, QB sneaks happen at places all over the field, not just the goal line.
That still doesn't mean it makes sense to take Tom Brady off the field and put Tim Tebow in.

Wow, Great post. You 100% convinced me that BB has a tendency to spend his time interviewing players he has no interest in. That is a strong strategy.

BB trusts Meyer and believes in his system/the way he grooms players. Meyer and BB are confidants. The same thing was true when Saban was at LSU.

You can't possibly think Tebow is capable of running the Pats offense. Or do you think they would change it for him?

Wow, Great post. You 100% convinced me that BB has a tendency to spend his time interviewing players he has no interest in. That is a strong strategy.

BB trusts Meyer and believes in his system/the way he grooms players. Meyer and BB are confidants. The same thing was true when Saban was at LSU.

Every year there are hundreds of posts on this board about how BB tries to trick other teams into thinking he is interested in someone he isn't. There was a lot of rumor that BB might take Tebow in round 1. If those posters are right, there is every reason to believe it was subterfuge.
There is also a reasonable chance that BB simply respects Tebow, genuiniely likes him and what he stands for, and wanted the chance to sit down with him, like he does with many people that are not going to be on his football team.
I would also imagine BB interviews many players, works them out and determines he is not as interested as he thought he may be.
All possibilities that are equally strong as if BB had dinner with him they are BFFs and he will not rest until he is on the team.

BBs relationship with Meyer is not going to mean he judges a player differenty because he has an association to him. That is ridiculous.
It means that they have a relationship (like with Saban) where he can get an honest opinion about a player the coach has coached that may help him get a cleared assessment. It doesn't mean if you know Meyer you become better.

I've lost any shred of creditability I had in John Clayton

I'd respectfully decline the potential for trade. There's no role or position for Tebow on the Patriots.

His rating was 72, 27th in the league. Are you really going to say that is better because less than half the games hit 90?
His 'style' produced poor offense, but luckily for the Broncos thier defense over came that.
His team only scored 20 points in 4 games out of 13.
Are you seriously telling me those are good results?

When the team's record is 8-5, those numbers are perfectly acceptable, especially considering the back up role he'd be relegated to here.

So you don't want a backup QB who may develop into a starter? Just what is your point here

What is relevant about that? Hoyer has more snaps playing in an NFL style offense than Tebow. Are you really going to put his experience running a glorified Wildcat where his coach was afraid to let him throw, ahead of spending 3 years in the system?

No, he doesn't.

And, yes, this season I would much rather have Tebow trying to win us a game than Hoyer.

OK, name one team that has used a 2nd QB in the red zone as a decoy to trick teams, and I will admit I am wrong.

That still doesn't mean it makes sense to take Tom Brady off the field and put Tim Tebow in.

LT has thrown a couple touchdowns in the red zone if I'm not mistaken. So has Antwaan Randle El.

I'm not surprised you don't think it makes sense to keep Brady from getting hit while putting the one of the 3 best power running QBs in the league in as his substitute.

Every year there are hundreds of posts on this board about how BB tries to trick other teams into thinking he is interested in someone he isn't. There was a lot of rumor that BB might take Tebow in round 1. If those posters are right, there is every reason to believe it was subterfuge.
There is also a reasonable chance that BB simply respects Tebow, genuiniely likes him and what he stands for, and wanted the chance to sit down with him, like he does with many people that are not going to be on his football team.
I would also imagine BB interviews many players, works them out and determines he is not as interested as he thought he may be.
All possibilities that are equally strong as if BB had dinner with him they are BFFs and he will not rest until he is on the team.

BBs relationship with Meyer is not going to mean he judges a player differenty because he has an association to him. That is ridiculous.
It means that they have a relationship (like with Saban) where he can get an honest opinion about a player the coach has coached that may help him get a cleared assessment. It doesn't mean if you know Meyer you become better.

To address the first paragraph of your unintelligible rambling...

That'll be a great and compelling game Sunday, New England at Denver. The Patriots' secondary is in terrible shape. But Bill Belichick had a thing for Tebow before the 2010 draft. I'm told he was fascinated by him. They went out to a long dinner in Boston's North End, and that's not something Bill Belichick does with prospects very often. Fun to see Belichick match wits with Tebow in Denver -- I hope for the first of many meetings.
Marion Barber's mistakes, Matt Prater's*OT field goal lead to Broncos comeback - Peter King - SI.com

You are horribly slow if you don't notice the trend of BB drafting Meyer or Saban produced players. What other schools have shown a pattern of producing several Patriots in a short amount of time?

I'm not saying BB sees a guy from Florida available, craps his pants in excitement and ignores everyone else to draft him. But it certainly provides a leg up knowing that the player was coached in college by someone you trust and respect, played in the best conference, was a winner and you have uncompromising access to their backstory/personality/tendencies.

Last edited:
doublefacepalmp1.gif

LetsGoPats36, I don't normally agree with Andy all too often but you don't have a logical argument. Tebow is an NFL Quarterback as much as the Wildcat is a scheme you can bass your long term offense around.

If your pass completion percentage is under 50 points, you're going to struggle in most legitimate NFL offenses, let alone one based on deciphering defenses and making on the fly adjustments in tandem with your receivers.

Personally, I'd rather Hoyer and Mallett given their prolonged exposure to the Patriots offense and fit within our system.

Last edited:
And, yes, this season I would much rather have Tebow trying to win us a game than Hoyer

In the limited playing time he's had Hoyer has been poised, accurate, and made good decisions, I can't say the same for Tebow. I'll take Tebow as an H-back but not as a QB.

Tim Tebow will be the first NFL player whose team actually has to give up draft picks for somebody to take him off their hands.

I'm just waiting for the headline

"Tim Tebow traded to *team here* for first round pick"

Body of the article-

The Broncos traded Tim Tebow, and their first round pick today to the *team*

In this revolutionary trade, the Broncos will receive absolutely nothing, but the gift of no longer having to suffer through having Tim Tebow wear their uniform. The GM of *team* was quoted saying, "receiving only a first for having to take Tebow was a steep price, but we're confident this draft class is deep enough that letting Tebow onto our team is worth the price"

Obligatory stat line for player mentioned which shows how bad at everything besides running around he is.

Last edited:
Tim Tebow will be the first NFL player whose team actually has to give up draft picks for somebody to take him off their hands.

I'm just waiting for the headline

"Tim Tebow traded to *team here* for first round pick"

Body of the article-

I'd love to see the Broncos sign Peyton, then trade Tebow to the Jags for Gabbert, straight up.

LetsGoPats36, I don't normally agree with Andy all too often but you don't have a logical argument. Tebow is an NFL Quarterback as much as the Wildcat is a scheme you can bass your long term offense around.

If your pass completion percentage is under 50 points, you're going to struggle in most legitimate NFL offenses, let alone one based on deciphering defenses and making on the fly adjustments in tandem with your receivers.

Personally, I'd rather Hoyer and Mallett given their prolonged exposure to the Patriots offense and fit within our system.

The point behind my argument is not that we need to get Tebow as our backup QB. That's just an added bonus.

If you think Hoyer is a better QB than Tebow, fine. No one really knows until he gets some starts.

If you agree with AJ that decoys are useless or sparsely-utilized, subbing Tebow in for some running plays would be disastrous, QB sneaks only happen in the red zone, that Tebow's value is exclusive to being a Tight End/Hback, etc... it's time to start following a new sport.

Last edited:
If the Broncos were inclined to trade Tebow, I don't see any way that the Jaguars don't offer considerably more for him than the Pats will.

So the big knock on Tebow is the completion percentage. When Fox runs on 1st downs 99% of the time, and on 2nd downs 80%, and they get stuffed, Tebow found himself in a lot of 3rd and longs. And if you check the completion % for 3rd and longs in the NFL, its something around 30%.

Tebow also has no quality TEs in Denver. When he had one in Hernandez at Florida, he had a quality completion %.

Not to mention that Tebow took a team that started 1-4 to the playoffs, and beat the #1 defence in the playoffs. Watch Tebow throw a great pass for the 1st TD @1.51 Steelers Vs Broncos Highlights//Tim Tebow Magic - YouTube

So the big knock on Tebow is the completion percentage. When Fox runs on 1st downs 99% of the time, and on 2nd downs 80%, and they get stuffed, Tebow found himself in a lot of 3rd and longs. And if you check the completion % for 3rd and longs in the NFL, its something around 30%.

Tebow also has no quality TEs in Denver. When he had one in Hernandez at Florida, he had a quality completion %.

Not to mention that Tebow took a team that started 1-4 to the playoffs, and beat the #1 defence in the playoffs. Watch Tebow throw a great pass for the 1st TD @1.51 Steelers Vs Broncos Highlights//Tim Tebow Magic - YouTube

No the big knock on him is the Broncos had to specifically design an offense around him because he is not capable of functioning in an NFL offense. That is the reason he'll never be on the Pats. Instead of going to a 2nd or 3rd read like Brady would, Tebow's two options are run or throw it out of bounds.

The point behind my argument is not that we need to get Tebow as our backup QB. That's just an added bonus.

If you think Hoyer is a better QB than Tebow, fine. No one really knows until he gets some starts.

If you agree with AJ that decoys are useless or sparsely-utilized, subbing Tebow in for some running plays would be disastrous, QB sneaks only happen in the red zone, that Tebow's value is exclusive to being a Tight End/Hback, etc... it's time to start following a new sport.

Which supports the point that Tebow is a below average Quarterback. I acknowledge that he was a nice shot in the arm for the Denver team, however they are a run first, defensive team. Tebow gave them belief in their ability with some marvellous circus like ability of his own. That doesn't project long term.

Call me stupid but I'd rather someone who can pass the ball proficiently and skill position players rather than a guy who is below average to OK in all, superb at none.

Tebow creates more questions than answers.

Last edited:
No the big knock on him is the Broncos had to specifically design an offense around him because he is not capable of functioning in an NFL offense. That is the reason he'll never be on the Pats. Instead of going to a 2nd or 3rd read like Brady would, Tebow's two options are run or throw it out of bounds.

You dont know what you are talking about. That 1st TD vs Steelers was his second read.

Going to the 3rd read? What 3rd read?
When the broncos gave away their best receiver (lloyd) for nothing(6th round pick) just after tebow took over this season. What other teams did this? Its almost like they were setting up Tebow for failure.
Demaryus thomas was injured most of the season, and tebow's only options were Decker and Royal and some scrub TEs. Teams would double Decker and Royal, and then that was that.

Even Brady would fail in that offense, with only Decker and Royal to throw to. When Tebow had a good TE in Hernandez in Florida, he put up quality completion %.

Which supports the point that Tebow is a below average Quarterback. I acknowledge that he was a nice shot in the arm for the Denver team, however they are a run first, defensive team. Tebow gave them belief in their ability with some marvellous circus like ability of his own. That doesn't project long term.

Call me stupid but I'd rather someone who can pass the ball proficiently and skill position players rather than a guy who is below average to OK in all, superb at none.

Brady would fail if he only had Decker and Royal and some scrub TEs. He would be even lower than a below average QB in that offense.

Brady would fail if he only had Decker and Royal and some scrub TEs. He would be even lower than a below average QB in that offense.
That's a laughable notion at best and you should probably stop right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back