PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tebow is a green bean!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW the new CBA closed a loophole that allowed teams to advance salary. It was becoming a habit with a lot of deals - and especially rookie ones - being written absent signing bonus because of the difficulty in recovering it after some of the arbitrator rulings in the mid 2000's. You could pay them more of their guaranteed money up front with recapture clauses that protected the team if the player screwed up or forced a trade or something... I believe in these cases teams had to count the advance in the present, so Denver will be getting a credit but only for the amount that is being reimbursed. They will have to eat the rest as sunk cost. You only get credit on cap expenditures when they are reimbursed (like Atlanta did only for the amount of Vick's signing bonus they could actually ultimately recover). NY will never pay the half they are not reimbursing (Tebow already has it and it's somewhere on Denver's cap) so they aren't on the hook for it - but they will be on the hook for the money they are reimbursing that will come off Denver's cap. That will be in addition to his 2012 and 2013 actual salaries. So he is costing them an extra $2.5M against the cap than what they likely thought he would.

Thanks for the answer Mo.

IF you are right,(and I assume you are); that just makes this all the more hilarious. Another 2.5M cap hit on the JESTERS. LOL. :singing:

And while we are talking about stupid cap hits; I wonder too if the extra .5M on Stanton gets any hit on them or if it all goes to the DOLTS.
(oops; saw someone else said the Jesters do take the hit

This just keeps getting better and better.

Last edited:
The more I look at this, the more I think that the Jets are going to do a cap friendly contract with Tebow and look to sign and trade him to move up the draft board. There are a couple of teams where Tebow makes sense - Philadelphia and Jacksonville come to mind for very different reasons.

Philadelphia is the best location since the Eagles offense is designed for a left-handed running QB already. Michael Vick hasn't had a complete season in three years since he came back. Andy Reid could insert Tebow near the goal line as a hammer and limit Vick's plays per game or just keep Tebow as a backup and put him in when Vick gets hurt.

Tebow's contract was a problem in Denver and the late release of the announcement due to contract and compensation to the Broncos makes it likely that there is another shoe to drop.

The more I look at this, the more I think that the Jets are going to do a cap friendly contract with Tebow and look to sign and trade him to move up the draft board. There are a couple of teams where Tebow makes sense - Philadelphia and Jacksonville come to mind for very different reasons.

Philadelphia is the best location since the Eagles offense is designed for a left-handed running QB already. Michael Vick hasn't had a complete season in three years since he came back. Andy Reid could insert Tebow near the goal line as a hammer and limit Vick's plays per game or just keep Tebow as a backup and put him in when Vick gets hurt.

Tebow's contract was a problem in Denver and the late release of the announcement due to contract and compensation to the Broncos makes it likely that there is another shoe to drop.

That makes no sense. Tebow's contract wasn't a problem in Denver. His existence was. The JETS would not take a $3M cap hit just to set up a draft trade. What they paid is about where he tops out compensation wise. It really is odd though that Philly never even kicked the tires on this deal since they have about the only QB you could envision Tebow being a solid backup for...as is. Have to assume while Reid loves to set himself up to take PR hits for his moves this one was even too much of a potential automatic controversey starter even for him (knowing that fanbase).

Meanwhile, despite players like Cromartie backing off their public stances, this is just the beginning of what the off the record chatter will be from now until one of Sanchize or Tebow either nails down the franchise QB title for real or exits the Big Apple in the Swamp...

Tim Tebow greeted by anonymous griping from Jets teammates | ProFootballTalk :D

Hate the move on so many levels. The Jets have had some head scratching moves over the last couple years, but I at least saw the logic behind it. I really don't see the logic here since he was anointed the #2 QB. I thought MAYBE they would turn him into a full time H-Back of some sort, but NOOOOOOOO. If you thought this team was a circus before, just wait.....

Even if this move makes our offense better (depends on how Sparano uses him), there is just so much downside and risk, I wouldn't even have taken the chance. Sanchez throws one INT...forget that...a few straight incompletions, all you'll hear on TV is TEBOWWWWWWWW. If I was a Pats fan I would be relishing in this.

Don't rub it in too bad...

I think that after the 1st couple 3 and outs the fans will be screaming for Tebow

That makes no sense. Tebow's contract wasn't a problem in Denver. His existence was. The JETS would not take a $3M cap hit just to set up a draft trade. What they paid is about where he tops out compensation wise. It really is odd though that Philly never even kicked the tires on this deal since they have about the only QB you could envision Tebow being a solid backup for...as is. Have to assume while Reid loves to set himself up to take PR hits for his moves this one was even too much of a potential automatic controversey starter even for him (knowing that fanbase).

Meanwhile, despite players like Cromartie backing off their public stances, this is just the beginning of what the off the record chatter will be from now until one of Sanchize or Tebow either nails down the franchise QB title for real or exits the Big Apple in the Swamp...

I don't think we know what Tebow's cap hit will be for the Jets until he signs the new deal. $3 million is if they take on the existing Broncos contract length and reported roster bonuses but both could be restructured. The Broncos toodk on some dead money in the deal, but apparently the cash compensation made that palatable and does not count towards the cap.

Why would anyone give them more for the pick than the Bronocs got? They were the high bidder. The high bidder doesn't have anyone to turn around and sell what they bought to for more.
They also traded away their backup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Sanchez scratching head.jpg
    Sanchez scratching head.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 93

I think I agree with Damien Woody in the article. This clearly is a marketing ploy. Sending a private jet and having a press conference for a back up QB? Woody Johnson is gambling that this will sell more PSLs even if he risks making this team 6-10 or even 3-13.

The funny thing is that you go to JI and they act like the hoopla is overblown and this won't play havoc with Sanchez's psyche (a few have argued that Sanchez is loving this because it is giving him motivation to become an elite QB) or cause a distraction.

The Jets better hope that September is the soft part of their schedule. As they are constituted right now, they are potentially a sub .500 team. They start off September 2-2 or even 1-3 and the QB controversy will be huge.

I don't think we know what Tebow's cap hit will be for the Jets until he signs the new deal. $3 million is if they take on the existing Broncos contract length and reported roster bonuses but both could be restructured. The Broncos toodk on some dead money in the deal, but apparently the cash compensation made that palatable and does not count towards the cap.

We know what his cap hit will be for the JETS. His 2012 salary plus the $ repaid to Denver by the JETS this season. Around $2.5M. That $3M figure is just the total cost they are reimbursing Denver over 2 seasons ($2.5M) plus the cost of eating $500K in bonus sunk cost on Andrew Luck's lone backup in Indy...

He's not signing a new deal with the JETS. He's actually just signing an amended deal with the Broncos that stipulates only half of his advance has to be repaid if he's cut or traded...in order for his trade to NY to be finalized. The JETS are then trading for that contract which is the exact same one he signed with Denver when he was drafted with that one minor language change. They are on the hook for whatever else remains in that contract including escalators or incentives he has or may yet earn.

If they all survive this season the JETS will have 2 QB's on the 2013 roster making within a couple of million of each other (and at least one of them is fully guaranteed his $$ already) and a guy backing up their circus antics for peanuts who probably has more developmental NFL starter potential than either of them.

I think I agree with Damien Woody in the article. This clearly is a marketing ploy. Sending a private jet and having a press conference for a back up QB? Woody Johnson is gambling that this will sell more PSLs even if he risks making this team 6-10 or even 3-13.

The funny thing is that you go to JI and they act like the hoopla is overblown and this won't play havoc with Sanchez's psyche (a few have argued that Sanchez is loving this because it is giving him motivation to become an elite QB) or cause a distraction.

The Jets better hope that September is the soft part of their schedule. As they are constituted right now, they are potentially a sub .500 team. They start off September 2-2 or even 1-3 and the QB controversy will be huge.

They go three and out in the first series of week one and it will be game on...

Over at JI..they live in a perfect world. Sanchez is a winner. They haven't had a losing season all but twice in 10 years. Sanchez is using this time to build into a mean lean machine. Nothing is wrong. LOLOLOL

Over at JI..they live in a perfect world. Sanchez is a winner. They haven't had a losing season all but twice in 10 years. Sanchez is using this time to build into a mean lean machine. Nothing is wrong. LOLOLOL

That's true. I laughed at their rate the offseason so far thread and so many of them give the Jets B+, A-, or A. For what? They had very specific needs and didn't really address any of them:

1.) Improve the RT position - They addressed this by guaranteeing one of the worst RTs in football his base salary for 2012 and are fruitlessly trying to trade him Grade: F
2.) Get a #2 WR who can stretch the field - They addressed this by signing often injured, never had over 365 yards in a season WR in Chaz Schilens. Grade: C-, maybe D considering how deep this position was in free agency
3.) Improve both safety positions - Lost out on Reggie Nelson, got LaRon Landry who's physical was bad enough to scare off the Pats. Grade: B- since Landry if healthy will a big pick up, but a huge risk considering what they have if he gets injured
4.) Improve their old, and slow OLB corp - They resigned old and slow Bryan Thomas who is coming off an Achilles injury. Grade F, but they are expected to try to get a pass rusher in the draft.
5.) Back up QB to Sanchez who can push him: Signed Drew Stanton and traded him a week later for a sixth round draft pick while eating $500k of his salary. Traded a fourth and sixth for Tim Tebow and a seventh. Instantly created a QB controversy and a media circus to gain the best option to implement a gimmick play that the rest of the league have gotten caught up with. Grade: C-

Overall Grade thus far: C- (and I am trying not to let my Patriots bias in or I would give them a D- or F.

I just don't see how Jets fans can say they have done a great job thus far when they had so many specific needs and addressed next none of them.

Last edited:
and as bad as the Jetst off season has been, the AFC champs have 6 picks in the 1st 4 rounds to the Jets' 3. Not lots of reasons to expect the holes to be filled by the draft. FA isn't over. Both teams will look to fill any roster backup holes with final 53 cuts from other teams.

Last edited:
Sanchez throws one INT...forget that...a few straight incompletions, all you'll hear on TV is TEBOWWWWWWWW.

That's a foregone conclusion. I'll be waiting for when they start yelling MC ELROYYYYYYYYY!!!

I was just reading all about the Tebow hoopla yesterday. When this deal was first announced (then delayed, then announced) I thought it was pretty funny, but it wasn't really going to help or hurt the Jets one way or another. He's just a back-up QB for cripe sakes, and one who's played lousy against us, twice. However, after looking at the show the Jets put on yesterday with this guy, and him willingly going along with it, I cannot believe that this move, either in the short term or the long term, won't seriously negatively affect one Mark Sanchez, who seems to be a sensitive soul on the gridiron.

How does bringing Tebow in in the first place not deal a serious blow to Sanchez's confidence? On top of that, how does letting Tebow steal the spotlight in such a big way, it appears for the long term, not damage that confidence/happiness/whatever, even further? What the heck are the Jets thinking? It's not like Tebow can step in and beat the Pats & other comers if Sanchez loses it. Can they seriously be thinking this? I thought it was a riot that Don Banks noted Bob Kraft is "thrilled" the Jets traded for Tebow at the winter meetings. I'll bet! He can't wait to watch the implosion. Neither can I!

I just don't see how Jets fans can say they have done a great job thus far when they had so many specific needs and addressed next none of them.

Read ANY Ray Ray 19 post...then see your shrink...or, in the case of a severe reaction, your nearest lobotomist...

Just tweeted by Mike Freeman of CBS... I think today it was Champ Bailey weighting in during the uni unveils...

Every player I read, talk to thinks Sanchez is a dead QB walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back