PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teams to get new Microsoft tablets to xmit upstairs photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't trust any high tech update if it comes from some old geezer who spends his days playing shuffleboard on the Cape and waiting for bingo on Wednesday nights.
Can we get independent verification on this report?

I can't wait to see how far a coach chucks one of these things once they get one of the following:

olxerr.gif

Rrror-while-creating-Error-Report.jpg

error-displaying-previous-error-funny-error-messages.jpg

funny_errors_25.jpg

funny-windows-error22.jpg

After the Bills’ 17-13 loss to the Giants, Marrone indicated his tablet wasn’t operating in the first two quarters, per ESPN’s Mike Rodak.

“I was told mine was going to work, and mine didn’t work,” Marrone said afterwards, according to audio from WGR 550 AM in Buffalo.

Doug Marrone says his tablet “didn’t work” for portion of game | ProFootballTalk

The Patriots were apparently already cheating. Fines, suspensions and loss of draft picks to come. We'll worry about proof later./Roger Goodell

NFL teams will use tablets on the sidelines for the first time Sunday | For The Win

Replaces the old fax/printer tech for sending still photos of formations down to the coaches on the field. Supports "Bellistrator" write over mode too.

Prepare for all kinds of uninformed Jets fan speculation.

This and the new RFID tech on players sees the NFL moving fwd with tech, just not enough though

This may be a bit of a stupid question PWP, but is it written in stone that all coaches will be using these tablets, or just those who want to? We all know what a tech savvy guy like Bill Belichick will be thinking the first time something goes wrong, or it costs us a timeout, etc.

I just have a hard time envisioning Belichick using something like this on the sideline. The man keeps a sharpened pencil behind his ear, and takes on the sole responsibility of physically writing down penalties, etc.

What are your thoughts on the subject, and do you believe that BB will definitely be using this himself? Could he choose to stay as is, and delegate tablet responsibilities to some of the assistants instead?

how long until one of these gets hacked

Kraft had them all loaded with tracking cookies with the backing of Goodell behind the scenes. Wait until the Jet fans find out...I can see them now....

1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosion.gif

This may be a bit of a stupid question PWP, but is it written in stone that all coaches will be using these tablets, or just those who want to? We all know what a tech savvy guy like Bill Belichick will be thinking the first time something goes wrong, or it costs us a timeout, etc.

I just have a hard time envisioning Belichick using something like this on the sideline. The man keeps a sharpened pencil behind his ear, and takes on the sole responsibility of physically writing down penalties, etc.

What are your thoughts on the subject, and do you believe that BB will definitely be using this himself? Could he choose to stay as is, and delegate tablet responsibilities to some of the assistants instead?

Engadget says " The Sideline Viewing System won't be required to be utilized by NFL teams, but they will all have it at their disposal week in and week out, should they choose to want to integrate it into their workflow. A representative from Microsoft told Engadget the company doesn't "want to force anything," adding that, ultimately, it is up to individual players and coaches to figure out what they want to do and use the methods best suited for them."

I have no idea what BB will do but Kraft's Patriots have always been in the foreskin of video, digital & wireless technology so I would expect he would. He's comfortable with the "Bellistrator" which is a capability the tablets support. One possible problem is that paper diagrams being shown to several players & asst coaches don't have the sun shining on them problems that electronic displays exhibit.

One possible problem is that paper diagrams being shown to several players & asst coaches don't have the sun shining on them problems that electronic displays exhibit.

Watch. BB will have one hooked up to a printer on the sidelines to overcome this problem, making a joke out of the electronic display.

I bet that they run the old & new systems in parallel during an at least 1 yr eval phase

Stupid question but what is RFID?

Radio Frequency Identification.

These are unpowered little tags that "reply" with a signal when hit by the querying transmission. That reply signal carries the tag's serial number and its location can be inferred from the received signal. These are used all the time in inventory management.

RFID news

Fantasy footballers and coaches rejoice—NFL players to wear RFID tags | Ars Technica

"technology, known as "Next Gen Stats," will track player acceleration rates, top speed, length of runs, and even how much separation a ball carrier got from a defender. It's not just a Pandora's box of stats for fans and broadcasters, as coaches can immediately employ the data to decide what plays to run or how to defend them.

"We capture high-speed player data and convert it into real-time, usable statistics," Zebra said. "Imagine the playbook redefined with every snap."

The NFL said the technology will be used in 17 stadiums for the 2014-2015 season. The teams include: Atlanta, Baltimore, Carolina, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Green Bay, Houston, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, New Orleans, Oakland, San Francisco, St. Louis, and Washington. For the moment, however, NFL teams cannot access the in-game data for competitive reasons to allow the league a chance to examine its integrity."

What I want is an accurate RFID or other technology to place the ball after each play and to monitor crossing the goal line. Easier said than done.

What I want is an accurate RFID or other technology to place the ball after each play and to monitor crossing the goal line. Easier said than done.

Could they not use a chip in the ball then a corresponding "reply" chip in the marker the chain gang uses? Then have it so if they "ping" the ball has crossed the marker so it's a first down, that'd be a start at least.

This RFID system lacks accuracy. Good 1st step though.

As to general placement & crossing goal line or even 1st down location of ball has to be frozen once knee, whatever, hits ground, not easy to do with current digital systems. Wait a few years.

I can't wait to see how far a coach chucks one of these things once they get one of the following:

olxerr.gif

funny_errors_25.jpg

olxerr.gif

funny_errors_25.jpg

olxerr.gif

funny_errors_25.jpg

True,CPF,how true,they could use Apple Ipads I guess,but they would charge the NFL a buck or two for every picture sent,and they couldnt transfer it to another computer unless it was a Mac,and they would have to pay again to do that....snicker....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes