PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teams That Can't Draft

Actually, he hasn't and it's an insult to put him in the same category as guys like the Williams' duo..

Haynesworth was widely seen as the best 4-3 DT in the league after 2006. You're clearly showing your ignorance.

Haynesworth was widely seen as the best 4-3 DT in the league after 2006. You're clearly showing your ignorance.

Read my post again. The fire finally got lit under his a** following the 2006 season. Prior to 2007, he was known as an underachiever. In both of his contract years, he made the pro bowl. DaBruinz said that he has been known as one the most "consistent" DT's in the league. I'm saying since he's been drafted in '02, he's had two good seasons out of 7 seasons. That isn't very consistent if you ask me.

Last edited:
Read my post again. The fire finally got lit under his a** following the 2006 season. Prior to 2007, he was known as an underachiever. In both of his contract years, he made the pro bowl. DaBruinz said that he has been known as one the most "consistent" DT's in the league. I'm saying since he's been drafted in '02, he's had two good seasons out of 7 seasons. That isn't very consistent if you ask me.

He was phenomenal in 2006. Seriously, hes been great for a while now.

He was phenomenal in 2006. Seriously, hes been great for a while now.

Well, you obviously like him, while I think he's overrated. Until 2007, I haven't heard anything positive about that guy. All he was known for was kicking Andre Guorode in the face.

Last edited:
Well, you obviously like him, while I think he's overrated. Until 2007, I haven't heard anything positive about that guy. All he was known for was kicking Andre Guorode in the face.

Just because you didn't know about him doesn't mean that he's a bad player and it doesn't mean he wasn't consistent.

I want to see how good this "Cortland Finnegan" guy is when he doesn't have "one year wonder" Haynesworth collapsing the pocket for him. Seriously, CB's can look better than they really are when your pass rush is forcing QB's to throw balls right at you. I can't wait to see this guy get torched by Moss this season. Oh yeah, they got extremely lucky by reaching for Chris Johnson. Most people thought the Titans were f****** morons for taking him that high.

That is officially the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Its not a f****** reach if the player is a star. Who CARES if most people think you reached if the player you draft is effing great? If its a "reach" and you "get lucky" by taking the player you think is best when you have the opportunity than the Pats got luck with Ty Warren, Logan Mankins, Matt Light, and most recently Jerod Mayo. What do you say to that luck? Haynesworth was hardly a one year wonder and Finnegan is a stud. What are you watching?

I really wouldn't put Tennessee on that list. They drafted very well in the past several years; you clearly don't know their roster very well. I follow the Titans very closely, since I lived in Tennessee for a year. Almost all of their pro-bowl players were drafted within the past 1 - 3 years. The core of their team is young, up-and-coming players who were selected through the draft. You can look at their linemen, their running backs, their secondary, etc, and you'll see players in the top 5 - 10 at their position, almost all of whom were acquired through the draft. Just because Young and Jones didn't pan out is no reason to speak poorly of the team, especially when those players flashed immense talent at one point or another.

I'd really like to hear your reasoning behind their supposed inability to draft--your first post seemed a bit incomplete. No offense. :)
No offense, but four months later I have been proven correct. Tennessee sucks. I learned that in June looking at the roster.

They truly are Exhibit A.

I wish I hadn't deferred to you and stuck to my own thought.

I am absolutely right that the defensive line of Tennessee can't do squat.

Bethel was a flop with the Pats, but lie about the guy's college record. And, for the record, Bethel was rated as a 2/3rd round pick. And clearly, the Pats thought he'd be able to stretch the field and be more than just a kick off returner. Unfortunately, like Jackson, he couldn't earn Brady's trust. Mainly because he couldn't run routes well.

I think both these receivers can run decent routes.

I think both these receivers are incapable of making the proper decision nearly 100% of the time when running "option" routes.

The Patriot passing offense is dependent on the QB and receiver seeing and adjusting correctly based on how the defense reacts at the snap of the ball.

And while Johnson was better at making the correct option read than Jackson, neither will ever be confused with Moss, Wekler or even a Gaffney when it comes to option route decision making.

PS: Miami has another WR, Camarillo I think, who is also a tremendous option route runner, ala Wes Welker. I think Welker and Camarillo both started out as UDFA with San Diego. Maybe BB needs to hire the San Diego coach that is teaching these UDFA's how to run option routes, to work wirth our UDFA WR's, because he appears to be doing a whale of a job. Too bad this San Diego coach is having such a bad time with Chambers and Davis! (Ha! Ha!)

Last edited:
Exhibit A: the Tennessee Titans.

Is this the team that only a few years ago nearly beat us in Foxborough with Steve McNair during the playoffs?

Gone are the imposing defensive tackles, replaced by nobodies. Our back-ups are better than these guys.

Number three pick (with a below average IQ) as your _backup_ qb for the foreseeable future? Number 45 pick (who could do only 15 bench presses at the combine and looked as if he needed a bra when he bared his chest for the weigh-in) as a perennial _backup_ rb?

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw/LenWhaleTraining.jpg

The only blatant mistake the Patriots have made during the Belichick era--that I thought so at the time--was moving up and sacrificing a lot to take Daniel Graham ahead of the Seahawks in the first round in 2002 at 21 when I was pushing for the perfectly serviceable (and surprisingly athletic, for his size) Chris Baker, whom the Jets took that year at 88.
2002 NFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know my Michigan State players.

But the universe has apparently righted itself.

I think they draft fine but they blew it on the wrong player at the wrong time. Taking Young has set back the organization, if they take a tackle (even a right tackle) they will over pay but at least the team can try to find a capable QB either via trade, FA or later round draft pick. They screwed this one up big time, see the Raiders for history repeating.

Come to think of it was Floyd Reese their GM at time? God, I hope BB overrules him come draft time.

* Just used this thing caleld Google, Reese was indeed the GM of the Titans when Young was drafted.

Reese was the GM. But, there was pressure from the owner to draft VY. He prob should have stood his ground longer if he felt otherwise. But, when the owner wants something.
He usually gets it.

Reese was the GM. But, there was pressure from the owner to draft VY. He prob should have stood his ground longer if he felt otherwise. But, when the owner wants something.
He usually gets it.

Reese was on record as not wanting to draft Young, but got overruled.

...And, for the record, Bethel was rated as a 2/3rd round pick...

...by 1 or at most 2 scouting services. All of the others had him pegged as no better than a 5th-rounder.

...by 1 or at most 2 scouting services. All of the others had him pegged as no better than a 5th-rounder.

I think BB broke a golden rule with Bethel. BB fell in love with the speed and overlooked the lack of production.

It seemed as if Bill fell into the same trap that 2 of his predecessors here, **** Steinberg & Booby Grier, would find themselves throughout their tenures: the Bermuda Triangle of height/weight/speed. Brock Williams, Kenyatta Jones, Rohan Davey, Cedric Cobbs, Chad Jackson, Shawn Crable, Kevin O'Connell & Matt Slater are other examples of this trap.

OTOH, Bill has also made the mistake of over-drafting based on "intangibles" & decent but not dominating college production, while over-looking obviously inadequate athleticism required for the position: Jabari Holloway, Dan Klecko, Guss Scott, Dexter Reid, James Sanders, Ryan O'Callahan, Mike Richardson, Rich Ohrnberger, George Bussey & Darryl Richard are examples of this different - but just as deadly - type of trap.

Last edited:
OTOH, Bill has also made the mistake of over-drafting based on "intangibles" & decent but not dominating college production, while over-looking obviously inadequate athleticism required for the position: Jabari Holloway, Dan Klecko, Guss Scott, Dexter Reid, James Sanders, Ryan O'Callahan, Mike Richardson, Rich Ohrnberger, George Bussey & Darryl Richard are examples of this different - but just as deadly - type of trap.

All these guys are 3rd round and lower picks. That seems to me to be the perfect place to draft "intangibles" type guys.

It seemed as if Bill fell into the same trap that 2 of his predecessors here, **** Steinberg & Booby Grier, would find themselves throughout their tenures: the Bermuda Triangle of height/weight/speed. Brock Williams, Kenyatta Jones, Rohan Davey, Cedric Cobbs, Chad Jackson, Shawn Crable, Kevin O'Connell & Matt Slater are other examples of this trap.

Are you seriously bashing mostly lower round draft picks that haven't even played 1 to 2 years in the NFL yet? If you went back to 2000 you could throw Brady into that second list, look how that turned out. Give some of those guys a chance before they are labeled "mistakes".

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back