PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teams taking our coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Teams have been raing our coaching staff for years so what do you think about this?

Seems interesting to me in that THEY JUST TOOK OUR COACH LAST YEAR.
Wonder what happens the next time they need a coach and reach out.
It appears to me McDaniels is not playing by certain rules teams have among themselves.
What do you think?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/09/broncos-not-letting-shanahan-raid-coaching-staff/

Broncos not letting Shanahan raid coaching staff
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 9, 2010 10:52 AM ET

As Josh Alper noted in today's one-liners, the Broncos have told running backs coach Bobby Turner he can't talk to the Redskins, who would like him to re-join Mike Shanahan in Washington.

The Denver Post has reported that in addition to Turner, Broncos strength and conditioning coach Rich Tuten, assistant strength coach Greg Saporta, special-teams assistant Keith Burns and director of football administration Mike Bluem all were longtime Shanahan associates who would likely be sought after by the Redskins. But if the Broncos won't let Turner go, it stands to reason they wouldn't let other team employees who are under contract leave, either.

The Broncos' handling of Turner spotlights the way different teams handle requests to interview their assistants differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Teams taking our coaches??

My understanding is that a coach is free to leave if the new job is a promotion. However, if he is under contract he cannot leave for a lateral change, i.e., same position for another team. The coaches and front office staff that have left the Pats over the last few years all got promotions with their new jobs.

The patriots and the broncos have the right to refuse to allow coaches under contract to take parallel jobs for other teams. However, they cannot prevent coaches leaving for a promotion.

With regard to new coaches taking some of the coaches from a team he has formerly coahed, that happens all the time and is a reasonable expectation.

As long as BB and the oline coach stays , the rest can go.

Teams have been raing our coaching staff for years so what do you think about this?

Seems interesting to me in that THEY JUST TOOK OUR COACH LAST YEAR.
Wonder what happens the next time they need a coach and reach out.
It appears to me McDaniels is not playing by certain rules teams have among themselves.
What do you think?

Broncos not letting Shanahan raid coaching staff | ProFootballTalk.com

It's not McDaniels' call to make. IIRC, it's the front office's call in Denver. They might query McDaniels for his view, but the final call is with the FO.

We've solved the problem...

Nobody wants our coaches anymore...:(

Last edited:
It's not McDaniels' call to make. IIRC, it's the front office's call in Denver. They might query McDaniels for his view, but the final call is with the FO.

Problem with this approach is being a coach in the NFL is not a 9-5 job, it is 5-9 job. If Turner and the rest get pissed off about this they might decide to treat it like a 9-5 job. In general in any team environment it is best not force people to stay that want to leave.

We've solved the problem...

Nobody wants our coaches anymore...:(

Post of the Day candidate.

Though I would be upset if Dante Scar, Ivan Fears & Pepper J left us; they're the only assistants remaining from the Good Old Days(2001-04). Bill would prob. replace them with some grateful-for-the-job, wet-behind-the-ears interns from some D3 college...if he replaced them at all.

I read earlier in the year how Josh had sat down with BB before going to the Broncos and went over which members of the football operation he could take with him, guys who were probably not going to be promoted within the organization but were familiar with the systems and would be an asset to Josh. It wasn't the poaching that went on when Mangini was leaving and going behind BB's back to hire people.

As for the Broncos refusing the Redskins, they should.

I wish someone would take Pees

I wish someone would take Pees

I saw him at the spa once. He was sitting in the jacuzi. It was the first time I was able to actually visualize whirled Pees....... :singing:

One of the BAD things about continued success, is other teams want some of that talent, that includes coaches and other office personnel.
We've been losing quality coaches and other help for years because they keep getting big offers to go elsewhere.

Probably why stuff looks to be so close to the vest.

I suspect that Belichick will need to give Pepper a promotion or wish him well.

i agree i would like to see how pepper johnson would do as the DC

Its going to happen, teams think that they are getting the next Bill B

Pepper should be qualified to be DC at this point in his career. It is open to question whether he will be as good as Belichick or even our other DC's in the past decade, but he should be at least an OK defensive coordinator and worth the risk of hiring him if a team has the need for a DC.

Its going to happen, teams think that they are getting the next Bill B

Instead of losing coaches,I would like to see BB add a few more coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back