Reaction score
1971 Cowboys 6-3
1980 Raiders 6-3
1983 Raiders 6-3
1988 49ers 6-3
2000 Ravens 5-4
2001 Patriots 5-4

Last edited:
All that tells me is it doesn't happen very often. But I'm not giving up on them yet. Still a lot of football left to be played.

OK 6-3 and not playing the best... will take that for now and see how it plays out...

PonyExpress said:
1971 Cowboys 6-3
1980 Raiders 6-3
1983 Raiders 6-3
1988 49ers 6-3
2000 Ravens 5-4
2001 Patriots 5-4

Wow! Are people really that low about a 6-3 team that they need you to convince them there's still a "chance"?

Maybe it would help them also to remember way back to the year 2005 to a team that was 7-5 and won the Super Bowl.

I've always felt that, as long as a Patriots team makes it to the playoffs, regular season record means nothing

What DOES matter is the general health,depth and "refuse to lose" attitude of the team at that time.

How we are in those categories won't be known for quite some time, so dwelling on where the team is at week 9, week 10, 11, 12, 13 is really irrelevant to me, as long as we're setting ourselves up for the playoffs.

Did the sky fall on those team before they made their runs?

I remember the Cowboy team who won their second straight SB in the 90s was 7-4 at one point and started 0-2.

To me the NFL hit the mother lode this year. Parity seems at an all time high this year with most all teams seeming "beatable" yes, even the Colts. Every weekend there's a number of teams that surprise with either a win or loss. If the Pats can get some of their key players back healthy, and regain some of their confidence in both D and O lines....I like our chances late in the season.

Interesting to note that all but one of the 6-3 teams to go on to win the SB played in the 16-game era.

There must be hundreds of teams that have been 6-3 in that time frame. I don't think it means much.

We have some major injury and execution issues to deal with. I don't think the Colts are much better than us in reality, but I still don't know if we can beat the Chargers or Broncos. They would stuff the run and kill Brady if we played them today.

As a fan, I will be very disappointed if we fall out of the playoffs. As a realist, I don't think our chances are outstanding at this point. If we are healthy going into the playoffs on the D-Line, at safety and cornerback, on the O-line, and if Brady doesn't get injuried again due to lack of protection, than our chances will be okay as long as our WRs are playing a lot better than now, by getting seperation and running routes correctly and reading blitzes correctly. Also, our running game needs to be sorted out, with new blocking schemes that actually work. Also, it would help to actually be competitive against a team with a winning record.

All those things are possible, and Belichick has a history of making things happen, but realistically we aren't beating good teams currently, and have been badly exposed these last two weeks. So I am going to adopt a wait and see attitude rather than worry about how many 6-3 teams in NFL history won the superbowl.

I realize that an objective attitude doesn't sell well at this site, but I'm gonna wait and see what develops. ;)

Objectively I'm with you, 5.

Subjectively? I've fallen into the "Wahhhhhh why are we only 6-3?" trap.

I remember finding an old sports section from about this time a few years back, which had gotten stuffed into the cabinet under the sink in the bathroom. I can not remember the year or the specific teams... but as I recall the "unbeatable" Chiefs were way up in the stories (and the standings,) and there might have been some article in there about how Baltimore was just too good a team not to return to the super bowl... you get the idea.

But writers gotta write about somethin', we gotta talk about somethin'...

It would be great if this all looks very different (and much better) by the end of the year. Until then we're a so-so team that can usually beat up on the mediocre, but lose to the elite.

PFnV

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
We have some major injury and execution issues to deal with. I don't think the Colts are much better than us in reality, but I still don't know if we can beat the Chargers or Broncos. They would stuff the run and kill Brady if we played them today.

Here's a reality check for you. Colts 27 Patriots 20. The Patriots are not better than the Colts.

My God.

I think you have to throw out those early ones and focus on what's happened since free agency and salary cap. Or if you just focus on the millenium, by your count 2 or the 6 champs, have been worse than 6-3. Add to that the steelers being 7-5 last year, and you got yourself a trend.

That 50% of Super Bowl winners having a marginal record at some point during the season.

Those aren't bad odds.

RyanTheColtsFan said:
Here's a reality check for you. Colts 27 Patriots 20. The Patriots are not better than the Colts.

My God.

I didn't imply that, ****head. I said the difference is not dramatic. The Pats played their worst and the game could have potentially gone into OT.

The Chargers and Denver, being tough teams that play real smashmouth football, unlike the Colts, would probably crush the Pats right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots