PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Team that plays the best - not the best team wins in the palyoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The past 4-5 weeks have created some clutch situations and really helped the team gain confidence. they will need to draw from these lessons win the playoffs roll around.

On paper I think the Patriots are the strongest team in the playoff mix but all the entrants are good NFL teams and all have the potential to upset the Patriots.

I expect the Patriots to win but they will have to play 2 very good games to make it to the Superbowl. Brady, BB and homefield are huge advantages for the Patriots.

AFC Snapshot - (team with best chance of beating the Patriots at the top)
Indy
  • I have a lot of respect for Indy, 12 wins for 5 years in a row is not easy. I really appreciate their schemes, both on offense and defense they have great systems.
  • Pros - Manning, schemes, coaching, defense - I think their defense this year is better than last year even without Freeney.
  • Cons - Defense can be run on, injuries on defense, O Line.
Chargers
  • Pros - Talented team, if LT gets going they can keep it close.
  • Cons - Rivers is a big question mark and so is coaching. They will also be playing wild card weekend which favors the Patriots.
Jaguars
  • Pros - Very good running team, QB is playing well.
  • Cons - Coaching, secondary. They will also be playing wild card weekend on the road.
Steelers
  • Good matchup for the Patriots, they would have to cause a lot of turnovers to have a chance
Browns
  • Pros - Offensive weapons, offensive line, QB has over performed.
  • Cons - Defense, experience. They will also be playing wild card weekend on the road.

Last edited:
I think you are sort of right. It's clear that the best team does not always win. For example: teams that win the super bowl every year are considered the best team in the NFL, yet usually have some losses.

Where I think you are correct is that a team that is generally regarded the best, and has the better record may not win that game ('01 Super Bowl :) ).

Where I think you are wrong, is that the team that plays the best that day and is therefore the better team on the field that day will win.

The team that plays the best, is the best team.

I get your point, but if I beat you, I'm the best. Period. Finis.

Bill Russell said it, "That's why they keep score".

and we were crucifying when kordell stewart said the same thing after we won the AFCCG in 2001

Ray who was better in 1998:

Denver, who finished 17-2 and won the Super Bowl, or the Giants, who finished 8-8?

I agree, if you win you are the best, end of discussion. My choice of words was poor, I hate it when other teams claim they are better even after a loss. See Steelers and others (Chargers and their whiny little b-tch LT)

My point was more of 'on any given Sunday', and that the Pats will have to play 2 very good games to make it to the Superbowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes