PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Team Goals and predictions for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
This is a team of destiny, and the greatest season by any team in the NFL will conclude in Arizona with a victory over the Packers..

With that being said if we want this greatness to continue next yr,but I wont go as far as being another undefeated season.. But another trip to the super bowl this is what we should focus on..

Resign Assante Samual- its been pretty clear he is worth the big bucks, and we need to pay him..

Resign Moss, release or restructure Stallworth- I know its pretty much a given that Randy Moss should be back here, I was stoked about Donte Stallworth, but unless he is the star of the playoffs, Donte is getting cut, unless he restructures.. I think we could have a Wr corp next yr of
Moss, Welker , Gaffney- need for him to resign , Chad Jackson, and Kelly Washington- who will grow into a bigger Wr role next yr. My vote is to have Stallworth, and give up on Jackson, but I think Stallworth will be too pricy..

Youth at LB- We could lose 2 maybee 4 LB, Izzo, Seau, and possibly Vrabel and Bruschi.. We have been screaming for yrs for some youth and in desperate need of it.. This could be our downfall in the playoffs, but were able to overcome it with the great offense.

Trade the No pick for extra picks.. - Unless its a cant miss players, we could fill alot of holes with those draft picks...

Those are just some goals, I would like to see for this greatness to continue, but we have 1 goal right now, and that is to win the big game in Arizona.. :rocker:

Resign Assante Samual- its been pretty clear he is worth the big bucks, and we need to pay him..

Resign Moss, release or restructure Stallworth- I know its pretty much a given that Randy Moss should be back here, I was stoked about Donte Stallworth, but unless he is the star of the playoffs, Donte is getting cut, unless he restructures.. I think we could have a Wr corp next yr of
Moss, Welker , Gaffney- need for him to resign , Chad Jackson, and Kelly Washington- who will grow into a bigger Wr role next yr. My vote is to have Stallworth, and give up on Jackson, but I think Stallworth will be too pricy..

Youth at LB- We could lose 2 maybee 4 LB, Izzo, Seau, and possibly Vrabel and Bruschi.. We have been screaming for yrs for some youth and in desperate need of it.. This could be our downfall in the playoffs, but were able to overcome it with the great offense.

Trade the No pick for extra picks.. - Unless its a cant miss players, we could fill alot of holes with those draft picks...
nice post.
my thoughts;

remember what that bum clements from buf got?huge blockbuster contract. no way new england is even in the running for asante.

as for re-signing moss, ive been told that for some reason he couldnt sign during the season. until i see some evidence of that, my argument is this; teams will be willing to offer him huge money, and the only way we sign him is if he takes the huge discount again. if he were going to take the discount, i think he would have done so already, as there would be no point in going to free agency unless it were to check out the huge offers.

i dont believe the youthful linebacker issue is much of an issue. linebackers can grow old in this league, unlike most other positions. we did fine this year, and i think we will be fine next year.
the problem, as you mentioned, is probably the loss of them. vrabel is not going anywhere, but bru might retire. there is speculation of rodney retiring also (he's listed as a db, but he's kind of a linebacker)
we do have some young talent coming up in the core, we may see one of them step up next year.

as for the draft, all of us will take a stab at predicting bill, but none of us will succeed. bill has a system and he is sticking to it. even he doesnt know who he will pick, or what he will do, until the time comes. he takes whoever is the best talent available at the time, and who the hell knows what that is. i think bill would have just as much trouble predicting how the draft will go as we do.

Last edited:
2008 pats needs to maintain their #1 ranked offensive and improve their defensive ranking overall.

Who dropped you on your head as a kid?

This is a team of destiny, and the greatest season by any team in the NFL will conclude in Arizona with a victory over the Packers..

With that being said if we want this greatness to continue next yr,but I wont go as far as being another undefeated season.. But another trip to the super bowl this is what we should focus on..

Those are just some goals, I would like to see for this greatness to continue, but we have 1 goal right now, and that is to win the big game in Arizona.. :rocker:

Yeah, give up on Chad Jackson. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nice post.
my thoughts;

remember what that bum clements from buf got?huge blockbuster contract. no way new england is even in the running for asante.

as for re-signing moss, ive been told that for some reason he couldnt sign during the season. until i see some evidence of that, my argument is this; teams will be willing to offer him huge money, and the only way we sign him is if he takes the huge discount again. if he were going to take the discount, i think he would have done so already, as there would be no point in going to free agency unless it were to check out the huge offers.

i dont believe the youthful linebacker issue is much of an issue. linebackers can grow old in this league, unlike most other positions. we did fine this year, and i think we will be fine next year.
quote]

The Patriots have enough CAP room or renegotiate money to keep everyone they want, including Asante and Randy, if wanted. And to sign a big time FA LB too. And draft one as well.

This team won't be pinched until 2009 or 2010 by the CAP, I suspect.

I am not worried ONE BIT about Moss. Moss and Brady are a unit. Brady has taken the discount and cashed in via other ways. The two are tight, and they discuss "life" according to Tom. I would be shocked if the team can't offer him enough to satisfy the need for payment, and also keep the duo together. It would be a sin to break that up. Everybody is going to work hard to make it happen.

If we think that we witnessed history this year consider that it was their first year together. What happens after that can only be better. The numbers might not always be better, but they'll be stupendous every year.

Would Moss pull a Ty Law and go hang out in KC for a few million bucks more? I seriously, seriously doubt it. Randy Moss has many motivations, and I think most of them are about winning. He's at the peak of his career, headed for its twilight, and a chance for greatness. Call me stupid if I'm wrong, but I think Randy wants rings more than he wants cash. If his money management is as good as I've heard, he isn't hurting for food money right now anyway.

I will not lose ONE WINK of my forty winks per night worrying about another Deion Branch mistake. Nope. I refuse to worry about nothing, and that's what this worry will come to - nothing. Randy is a Patriots. Randy is Tom's other half. Randy ain't going nowhere.

Sean - Happy New Year. Don't quit your day job...

I really think what WE should do is start enjoying each season in the comforting knowledge that Belioli never sleeps and they will take care of it. We're not going to go undefeated every season, probably never again, and we aren't gonna win every snap or every game let alone every superbowl. But we will be competitive for as long as Bill and Tommy don't decide they'd rather play golf and fish. Bill will retain the players we want to whom winning football really matters. Asante is a very good zone corner, he is not a long term franchise player on a team that already has a couple of them. PS - Vrabel isn't going anywhere. Bruschi and Seau could be, but that remains to be seen. Kelly Washington is pretty full of himself for a gunner who can't crack the WR corps. Gaffney may get offered more than he's worth. Stallworth is a $6M talent at WR if we need him and he's 4 years younger than Randy. CJ is halfway though his rookie deal, so whether he makes it or not he's cheap labor from here on out unless he really pisses someone off.

The team never looks past this week, the task at hand. The fan base should try that sometimes. They are going to enjoy 16-0 til Wednesday. Then on Thursday they will look forward to a playoff game with one of three teams they won't identify for certain until Sunday.

ShrewBeer

You can't alter a players contract more than once a year. When we traded for Randy we altered his deal. Therefore we could not revisit it for 12 months or, since it was only a one year deal, until the end of the season. It ended this week. They will get a new deal done soon. They are a little busy now planning for the playoffs. Nobody else can talk to him, or visa versa, until FA opens in mid March.

AZ

This team won't be pinched by the cap until Belioli and Brady leave. If then. Unless you make serious talent misjudgements or overpay for inferior talent or tie too much bonus money up on too few players whose injuries could then have devastating consequences, you don't get in cap trouble. This FO is disciplined and relatively unemotional when it comes to acquiting or retaining talent and adhering to their compensation principles. Their biggest ticket item respects that, and he discounts them a couple of million a year to help set the tone. The guys worth having follow his lead within reason. The one's who can't or won't don't belong here anyway. They found Asante on day two and coached him up. They can do it again. They plug holes with truly motivated veterans who play here for less, sometimes little more than minimum depending on their role and age. They draft pretty well. They maintain and expand the core, even if fans don't always see eye to eye with their selections at the outset. It's a blend that works well in this system, as a couple of the national talking heads seemed to notice once 16 was in the books.

FrontSeven

I have had to fight the urge to call you stupid several times this month. However, this is not one of those times. :D

thanks for the clarification on the moss deal, mo. ive been looking around trying to figure that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes