Welcome to PatsFans.com

Teachers union refuses to return overpayment

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

This is an old article, as this happened back in March, but I just saw it today. Nothing like the teachers union acting as a role model for kids eh? I guess you should keep what isn't yours, as in taxpayer money, and publically tell the people it belongs to, to suck it. When I read this, and the words of the union rep, I couldn't help but be reminded of the single greatest quote of all time, which happened to be made by another leader of the teachers union. It went like this:

"When school children start paying union dues, that 's when I'll start representing the interests of school children.”
    Albert Shanker, United Federation of Teachers

School District Asks Teachers to Return Pay

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: March 11, 2007

HOUSTON, March 10 (AP) — The school district that runs the nation’s largest merit pay program gave oversized bonuses to about 100 teachers and is now asking them to return the money.

A total of about $75,000 was overpaid because a computer program mistakenly calculated the bonuses of part-time workers as if they were full-time employees, the Houston Independent School District said. Gayle Fallon, president of the Houston Federation of Teachers, the city’s largest teachers’ union, is telling members not to return the overpayments, which range from $62.50 to $2,790.

Ms. Fallon said the district could not force the 99 teachers to sign forms authorizing it to deduct the money from their paychecks, and promised legal action if it tried to.

“If it’s the district’s error, then the district should bear the loss,” Ms. Fallon said.

The union has opposed the merit system, which was unanimously approved by the school board last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/education/11houston.html?pagewanted=all

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

That's a union's job. It compares to companies who go to court to avoid giving refunds to consumers and shareholders, and when they are forced to do so they make it inconvenient and difficult. I'm not defending the union, but that's it's job.

In corporations, top management never loses site of the fact that their job is to "increase shareholder wealth." Therefore, if a corporation is sued, it tries to resolve the suit quietly and for the lowest cost. Unions do the same sort of thing for their members.

3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Nothing new here. The Teachers Unions could care LESS about children's education. Robbery, muggings, rapes, 10 year olds getting "taken outside", 14 year olds having abortions without parents' knowledge (never mind consent): Schanker and his union are about one thing and one thing only: MORE MONEY for teachers (oh, and the Union, too, natch). Everyone and everything else can go to hell, as far as he is concerned, as long as THEY GET THE MONEY. Talk about how somebody can sleep at night. A total dirt-bag.

//

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

Well Foggo you are right on this one, the teachers union represents teachers not the kids.. when I was a union leader in corrections, our focus was not on the inmates.. it was on making sure our needs were met, we got salary increases and we maintained a safe environment.

It is about money, that and safe working conditions.. as far as the rest of your rant goes more unsubstantiated stuff that you run with.

5. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Except in your case, you didn't go around saying you were doing this "in the best interest of the inmates".

There is nothing wrong with teacher's unions, they should be involved with teacher pay and disclipine issue, they shouldn't however, use their dues to promote their left wing agenda. Why is it whenever anyone talks about any education bill it's endoresment (or non endorsment) from the NEA is the first thing mentioned.

I think they are screwed with this one. I know when I signed on with the government, I signed a little piece of paoer that stated that I would bring to the government's attention, any undue monies paid to me.

Either way, they can just deduct the money from thier next paychecks, I don't think their is anything they (the teachers) can do about it. But it does go to show how petty they are.

The sooner we eradicate government run schools in this country, the better.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

Except for your last sentence I do not disagree, except to add how stupid the school district is for overpaying them..

As far as political action goes, you are policeman if I remember correctly, doesn't your union advocate for gun control or items that could be considered either left wing or right wing??

My response had to do with the rant and rave of Foggo who claimed that the teachers union was responsible for just about every shortcoming in the US schools.

7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The thing about bonuses is that they vary. Its not the same as a salaried person getting more one month out of nowhere or just finding money on the street. Besides, when the bonuses came I bet a lot of people went outside their usual budgets and bought things they wouldn't ordinarily buy. Should they be allowed to return any purchases they made?

The simple solution is to trim back subsequent bonuses to get back to square one. Not just demand it out of the blue.

8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

I quit the union when they told me to vote for Chuck Schumer for Senate.

The only this gun control does, is make the criminals more safe in the knowledge that they will be accousting an unarmed person.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Let's try to use the unions principles, and logic, with some different real life situations. Shall we?

By the unions standards when you go to the super market, and some poor kid gives you change for a $100 bill, even though you only gave him a $10, you should tell him to suck it, cuz the money is now yours.

On the flip side, by the unions standards, if you go to the bank, and write $100 on your slip for your $1,000 deposit, the bank can tell you to suck it, cuz the money is now theirs.

I wonder what the union would be saying if they were underpaid, and not overpaid? Hmm...I think we all know the answer to that question.

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Nice lesson for the kids.
    Teachers I know who love their job and do it for the Kids are more often than not working in private schools for less money and not in the union. They've done the public gig and left because the kids, parents, admin, and union didn't care about education or teachers.

11. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Come on, in Monopoly when you get the chance card "Bank error in your favor, collect $200" you don't have to give it back, do you? :D

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 3 / -10

A lot of Big City Teachers Leave because the kids beat the sh!t out of them then when the kids are expelled the Parents come back and Beat The Teacher up again, then the parents get a Lawyer and sue the teacher.

The public school system is a disgrace.

:bricks:

13. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ask your wife to read the label on your beer bottle!

Sounds like your drinking drain cleaner....Any good?

14. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It sounds like the judicial system is the disgrace and not the public school system. Allowing a teacher to be constantly harrassed has nothing to do with the school system.

15. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Harry's just having a fox senior moment!

16. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm perfectly happy with the public school system where I live, admittedly a small town. From your description it's the kids and parents that are the disgrace not the schools or teachers.