Welcome to PatsFans.com

Teachers from Mexico to Help Fill Positions in Utah School Districts

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Terry Glenn is a cowgirl, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Several Utah school districts have just hired a total of 12 new teachers from Mexico. The State Office of Education has been working on the plan for almost a year. This is part of an agreement Governor Huntsman made with Mexico when he visited there a couple years ago.

School districts say they're happy about it. The teachers will be filling positions that districts can't seem to staff right now. At the same time, the teachers will help a growing population of Hispanic students in the state. School districts are having a harder and harder time finding elementary school teachers, science and math teachers.

Human Resources Director for Granite School District Mike Fraser says, "Right now, as we speak, we still have 30 elementary positions to fill."
    But the Granite District has just filled three of those spots with teachers from Mexico. "We think it's going to be very exciting," Fraser says. "These are very qualified teaching candidates who are proficient in English."

The Granite district was one of four school districts in Utah to send employees to Mexico where they interviewed over 50 teachers that the Mexican Consulate had pre-screened. Other districts include Salt Lake, Tooele County and Davis County. "Each school district selected three teaching candidates to bring back to Salt Lake City," Fraser says.

Most of the 12 teachers will speak English in the classroom with the exception of those hired for dual immersion programs. The Granite District says the teachers will be a great help to Spanish-speaking students and their parents, who often feel left out of their child's education. "They're very intimidated to come to the school, show up at parent-teacher consultation because of that language barrier," Fraser explains.

Mark Peterson with the Utah Office of Education says, "If the teacher happens to be teaching math or science or whatever, if they speak Spanish, it's a bonus."

The three teachers Granite hired all have at least six years of experience and one has her MBA. The state says it's glad to have that kind of quality from anywhere. Peterson says, "At the moment, Utah can use highly qualified teachers wherever we can get them from, which is why the districts are out recruiting out of state, and this is just a little further out of state than normal."
    The teachers will arrive in early August. They'll make a salary of around $35,000, compared to about $12,000 in Mexico. The state is helping the teachers get a temporary work visa which would allow them to stay here up to three years.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1333827

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Was watching Sprout last night with my 2 year old nephew, and they were doing hop scotch in spanish. For a second I thought someone had mistakeningly put on the spanish channel, but it was indeed on Sprout. :mad:

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Nazi Bastards
    Thompson For President

When The Politician Bastards Want Something And They Know The People Don't Want It They Will Find A Way To Ram Down The Peoples Throat They Just Did It With Homosexual Marriage.

The NEW FAR LEFT LIBERAL DEMOCRATS are slowly taking your right to speak, your civil liberties and your right to vote away from you.
    (Fox News & Limbaugh are next on their Hit List, they want them Censored)

They Are The Sneaky New Back Stabbing Nazi Party.

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

God, Harry, what a gloomy view for someone who has lived through so much. Politics today is no different than it was before.

Just face it that the age of Reagan is over. It lasted 27 years, which may not be as good as the 48 years of liberalism that started with Roosevelt, but it's a long time, and has had an impact. The pendulum is starting to swing back to the left. Speaking from experience, you might not like that swing, but you get used to it.

5. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, it'd be much better if they left those positions unstaffed, rather than hiring qualified teachers from Mexico. This is where the difference between people who dislike illegal immigrants and those who dislike all immigrants becomes evident.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

I have no problem with what they're doing. In fact, it points to all that I've said regarding immigration, and why it has to be controlled and regulated. Immigration is comprehensive. These 12 migrants are educated, skilled, and affluent in our language. They are not the uneducated, low skilled red ink that has invaded us from our southern border. Beyond that, they are documented, and are LEGAL. Now, would you want the US to accept 1 million new teachers from Mexico? Of course not. Why? Cuz it might negatively effect the employment of citizen teachers. See, everything needs to be done with a plan in mind. What is going on now is wrong on a multitude of angles.

BTW, obviously for some it will always be about race, just as for others it will always be about emotion, or politics. It's why you need to listen to people who make a sensible case, and not an emotionally based one. Emotion=irrational.

7. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't get the impression that you oppose immigration for racial reasons, but can you see how your Sprout-in-Spanish comment would cause one to wonder?

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Well said.

Also, I object to the term "race" being used in reference to Mexicans. There is no "Mexican" or "Hispanic" race at all. People who speak Spanish are not a part of any particular race. Even groups like Dominicans have a diverse racial makeup. DO you think Alberto Fujimori was a member of the "Hispanic" race because he was Peruvian? Are David Ortiz and Gerry Garcia a member of the same race? That's like saying Edgar Winter and Michael Jordan are both members of the "English" race.

Just a pet peive of mine...language, that is. Thanks for listening.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  9. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You're right that the term "race", as used colloqually, isn't scientifically sound. Then again scientists aren't sure there's enough of a difference between any of the "races" to qualify for the term. What's meant by race in this context is "culture", and people who are called "racists" should be called xenophobes. But race is the prevelant word today, and as long as we all know what we mean, then it's OK.

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Arnold gets it :

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2007/06/14/national/a162328D73.DTL

""You've got to turn off the Spanish television set" and avoid Spanish-language television, books and newspapers, the Republican governor said Wednesday night at the annual convention of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.

"You're just forced to speak English, and that just makes you learn the language faster," Schwarzenegger said.

"I know this sounds odd and this is the politically incorrect thing to say, and I'm going to get myself in trouble," he said, noting that he rarely spoke German and was forced to learn English when he emigrated from Austria."

Learn the language or you'll have trouble succeeding - what a concept.

11. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I've personally had to do it, and you're right, everyone has to. But we have to give people support while they learn the language. For adults that come here, especially elderly, learning the language can take 5 or more years. That doesn't mean bi-lingual classes are a good idea, but it means you can't ignore that people WILL have a need to speak their home language until they can learn English.

12. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Agreed - but there's a fine line between that and enabling them to speak their own language forever. Make it too easy to speak spanish and they'll never learn English.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Say what? If someone is as ignorant so as to assume that from such from said comment, then that is more a reflection of them, and than it would be of me.

Let me be perfectly clear here, as I have been since day 1. We have been invaded on a level unprecedented in our history. We, the american citizen, are being forced to assymilate to the invading culture, and not vice versa. My displeasure with the Sprout in spanish is that we should not be teaching our citizen children to learn a foreign language for political purposes. We should instead be teaching foreigners to speak our language for our societies purposes. Every foreignor who has come to this country has had to assymilate, and none has ever received the magnitude of assitance and coddling that the current crop has. This is offensive to me because it undermines what this country is genuinely about, and is purely being done for political, and financial purposes. We used to be a country that was built on accountability, the rule of law, and opportunity for all those who abided by them. We were a country who encouraged the integration of foreign cultures, but not the domination of one. This invasion has pissed on that principle. Being the child of two foreign immigrants who came here legally, I have seen what used to be, and what currently is, and I am not happy. I don't know many legal immigrants who are. This country used to be about opportunity and not hand outs. The political agenda (future votes), the financial profitability (fastest growing demogrpahic + subsidizd labor), the social destruction (overcrowded classrooms and ER's), and the massive cost to my wallet are what have driven me to my position. Race, color of skin, religion, etc...are all insignificant to me.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

WHY ON EARTH ARE ELDERLY PEOPLE COMING HERE? WHY LET THEM?

It's funny how every immigrant of the past has learned to assimilate without issue, and only now do we need to coddle. Does anyone ever wonder why? It wouldn't have to do with the types (low-skilled/uneducated) of immigrants that are overrunning our borders, or the amount would it? Nah....

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Bingo! You get today's prize. ;)

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

It's the hypocrisy of the Far Left Liberal, they constantly scream and whail about freedom & free speech then when people that don't agree with them exercise those freedoms the Far Left Liberal wants them silenced especially when the other side starts to win.

Left Wing Liberal "talk shows" are a colossal, dismal falure, their solution to their falure, try to censor and destroy successful Conservative Talk Shows, this is just one example of their bias.
    They constantly act like spoiled little children who have had their ball taken away from them.

Their nastiness, fouled mouth hatred and sore losing jealousy has ruined many of them to mention a few, Al Franken his Cursing little nutty pal Jenny Garafoola, Cindy Sheehan, Phil Donahue, Dan Rather, and now Cute Perky Katie, they have all gone the way of the Goonie Bird, the people just don't want to hear them, or look at them.

17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

It's politics, Harry. Both sides do the exact same thing. Look what happened to Dan Rather! No one is calling for laws to silence Fox; they're simply trying to put consumer and political pressure on Fox to lighten up.

You think there weren't campaigns by right wingers against Air America? They played the exact same game.

Give the right wing some credit for silencing them. Don't hold liberals to a standard you don't hold conservatives to.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Allright, I'll try, I just opened a gallon jug of Pisano Wine I'm going down and watch the tide go out.
    :bricks:

19. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Make sure you don't fall down or in and go out with the tide.I seem to recall another drinking and falling incident resantly. :D

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I live in a city where there is a very large Polish immigrant polulation. There has to be at least a dozen Polish ethnic clubs. They all have bars and function halls, but most importantly, they have classes in English for the new arrivals. They never speak Polish in front of their children, but you often hear the adults conversing in their native tongues. They ALL work their arses off doing the most difficult jobs. Their children are taught Polish after they learn English, but by then, the kids have picked-up so much, they are almost fluent in both languages. This community has no official documents in Polish, ask for no translators from the State, and try their hardest to communicate in English at all times. I have NEVER heard one of them say, "I don't speak English"...NEVER. I'm talking about recent arrivals.