Welcome to PatsFans.com

Teacher lets students vote out classmate, 5

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by weswelker#83, May 25, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Unreal, someone ought to beat that teacher senseless. Can't blame the kids, kids can be brutal, but a teacher ought not put a 5 year old, with or without social disorders, on trial like that. But look at what we expect out of Kindergarten teachers, who they are and what we pay those who take care of our kids...can't say I'm totally shocked that they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed sometimes.
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Wow, 14-2............. That kid must of been a real PITA. :eek::rolleyes:

Our school system is in peril, it really is.
  4. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

microcosm of what's wrong with the US and the world

but it is democracy right? lol

poor humanity
  5. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +300 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

OK kids, now we've learned what "tyranny of the majority" means. Now, for an extra bar of chocolate, who can tell me what's wrong with it? :eek:

[P.S. For our English fans. Any bets on whether Wendy is related to Michael?]
  6. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I love how every kid that has no discipline is diagnosed as autistic. Use to be ADD. I spent 8 years in a private grammar school and oddly enough not one kid ever showed signs of ADD or Autism. The teacher sounds like an immature product of a school system that makes excuses for everyone and graduates everyone as long as they show up (most of the time) herself.
  7. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Maybe not the right place for this, but please don't equate ADD and Autism, ADD could be looked at as hyperactivity and a short attention span, we had plenty of kids around who fall into that category when we were younger, but they didn't prescribe Ritalin for it so they usually just went special ed and ended up being held back a grade until they matured, or they were pushed forward because nobody wanted to deal with a hyper kid. Autism is a severe to crippling mental disorder characterized by what is essentially a mis-wiring of the brain, an inability to handle social situations, and often coupled with "savant ism"...it is also pretty easy to diagnose with very straightforward symptoms, especially now that is has been recognized and studied further, but there are no real "cures" drugs, or patches. ADD has a very loose range of symptoms and is, again, often just hyperactivity and handled with Ritalin. Not trying to be a douche but equating the two minimizes the more serious one.
  8. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Then how is it that something like 1 in 250 kids is diagnosed at Autistic? I'm not equating the disorder. I'm saying they are quick to throw labels to make them helpless victims instead of what just may be a severe lack of discipline and boundaries at home and at school. If these disorders are so prevalent now how is it that 100s of kids were actually able to sit at the desk, do their work and pay attention when I was a kid? Not one kid acted out or disrupted a class ever. But, now the kids can't control themselves? I think a little Super Nanny is what most of them need.
  9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,448 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

The difference is that ADD is way overdiagnosed and Autism is not.
  10. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

"But the state attorney's office concluded the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse"

Making a kid stand at the front of the class whilst the rest of the kids point, say why they dont like him and make sure it's known he's not liked in school?

That teacher should be hung.
  11. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Just a little update:
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/972423,oust052708.article
  12. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,448 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

13. Zeke_Mowatt

Zeke_Mowatt Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I don't disagree with you - I think the worst thing that ever happened to kids was teachers not being able to smack them; I know that the fear of physical punishment certainly kept me in line even as a wise cracking little sh!t. With that said, a principal or VP who knew how to rap your knuckles when you were sent to the office (or in my case pick you up off the ground by your sideburns) is different from being shamed in front of the class...that scars a helluva lot worse than physical punishment. However and more to your point, and this is pure speculation, I suspect we are going to see a link between some chemical that has been added to something in the past 10-20 years and the huge increase in cases of autism arise within the next 10 years and it will be clear why it has become a more common issue. Having been around it a bit, believe me, kids with ADD are often just hyper, kids even with mild autism are very obviously not wired properly and it manifests itself quite differently.
  14. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

VIDEO ADDED

two points;

1) What the hell is the school admin NOT putting the kid in a special needs class, which is staff be people prepared to deal with him. Cute kid and all, but he certainly has needs.

2) Mom is kinda HOT. :cool:
  15. rj8806

rj8806 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This doesn't surprise me at all. I moved to Tennessee in June 2004 from Port St. Lucie. I had been living there for 10 years. My youngest child was actually a student at Morningside which is the main reason for us leaving Florida. The school system is a crock. The teachers there just show up for a paycheck and that's it. 25+ years ago, Florida voters approved the Lottery with the promise that the proceeds would go to the school systems. It worked so well that they cut Physical Ed from the curriculum. They couldn't even come up with enough money to buy the basics like basket balls, kick balls and such.
    My son who struggles in school often tried to stay after school to get help and was told that he was interfering in the teachers time. She did not have time to stay and help him.

Port St. Lucie has become a joke of a city. 35 years ago it was empty with 1 main road running thru it, now it looks like a mini-Miami.

While I do miss the beach and surfing, I certainly don't miss PSL.

Richard
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  16. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,448 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

You should have sent your child to St. Anastasia or St. Edwards. Both are excellent private schools. A little costly, but excellent. I know because I am a product of the St. Anastasia-John Carroll system.
  17. rj8806

rj8806 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wish I could've afforded private school, I'd still be in Florida. My plan right now is to wait until my son graduates H.S. then move back and put my daughter in private. I will not be moving back to PSL though. Way too crowded for me now. I used to live off of Floresta right across from Floresta Elementary. Where abouts did you live when you were there?
    I also was a manager at St. Lucie Draft House and loved football Sundays. I always had the Patriots game on the big screen behind the bar.:D

Richard
  18. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,448 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Yeah, PSL has completely changed. Used to be a smaller town with a smaller population and you knew a lot of the people that lived there. Now, there are two 6-A high schools in that area alone (one which is supposed to be the worst high school for fights and crime in the tri-county area). I used to live in Country Club Estates in St. Lucie West. Paid many a visit to the draft house. To this day, it's still my favorite restaurant in that area. I think I went there every weekend between '02-'04 so, believe it or not, we've probably actually crossed paths before at some point in time.
  19. rj8806

rj8806 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you hung out at the Draft House between '02-'04, we definitely crossed paths. I was manager there for about 5 1/2 years and worked 6 days a week. There were only 2 male floor managers(myself and a guy named Larry) and 2 female ones. I was the guy about 6ft tall with blonde hair and worked every football sunday.
    I used to go to PSL in the early '70's with my mom to visit her friends and yes, it was much nicer back then. About the only thing in PSL back then was the Holiday Inn on U.S.1 with the waterfall and swimming pool. Used to be able to cross Jensen beach Causeway and get to the beach in less than 20 minutes from PSL, now it takes a good 45 minutes.
    All of the Cubans that were in Miami are moving north at an alarming rate. I actually sold my house to a cuban couple when we left. Better than doubled my money in less than 4 years.:D
  20. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,448 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

That and all the New Yorkers are moving South.