Welcome to PatsFans.com

Teabonics

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phokus, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Spelling brought to you by the Texas board of Edgewkashun...

I love it.

I understand that there are smart Tea Party peeps, its just that the loudest and most outspoken seem to not be the brightest of the bunch.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Ok...I'm sorry. That's hysterical. I especially love the ones which admonish people to "Speak English" or to "Learn English" and are misspelled.

2 funy 4 wourds.
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,045 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Keeping it REAL, when I know the thread is supposed to be light. Hannity was speaking to a bunch of the Tea Party people today.....and had the following exchange:

HANNITY: When you think about the vast majorities that they have in Congress and they had to bribe, backroom deals, corruption, that’s all because the tea party movement, the people — all these Tim McVeigh wannabes here.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

Video: http://www.dailykos.com/tv/w/002641/

WTF?

The applause seems to be for the end of the segment, not for the McVeigh comment...BUT for Hannity to use that name as a term of endearment is super f-ed up. Tim McVeigh was a freaking TERRORIST. He killed a bunch of innocent men, women and children.

Hannity,

You are a moron.

Love HD
  6. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL wtf, that probably deserves it's own thread. That's probably the first truthful thing Hannity has EVER said.
  7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Its hard to spel wurser than i do but these people maneged. :confused:
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

They do it on purpose it drives the "Obama Groupies" nuts.

:rofl:
  9. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Phokus cut the crap. That is way over the top. Hannity deserves to be called a moron but you should stop right there. Can you even see the hatred you have or has it blinded you?
  11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Well ther dooing a good jobb as far as spelin goes :bricks:
  12. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So... the purpose of conservative illiteracy is to drive "Obama Groupies" nuts. No, we aren't mad that rightwingers are illiterate, it's actually actually amusing
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think the problem grew after liberal teachers gave everyone an "A" even when they had incorrect answers on tests in order to preserve their self esteem:rolleyes:
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I don't know if they did that....I do know that when my kids were in school the teachers didn't stress spelling and grammar very much in the lower grades because they didn't want to stiffle their "creativity."

It's sad because you can certainly be creative correctly. The ability to write a story or a poem or to turn in an intelligent, well thought out, well researched paper doesn't go away if you're also forced to use proper spelling and grammar.

I'm mostly appalled lately when I get email from my kids or my nieces and nephews and look at their spelling. They tell me I'm not supposed to care, it's thought that counts, and maybe it is - but I think I'd feel like they thought a bit more of me if they bothered to make sure I could read what they wrote.

No matter what people say about "spelling doesn't matter," the truth is - it sure the hell does - especially when it's intended to be read by other people. It's going to immediately mark you as one of two things - smart or dumb. No one pays too much attention to dumb people who are trying to tell them things - figuring if they're too dumb to spell correctly they're probably also too dumb to trust on anything important, either. The more people you're trying to reach (such as a protest sign which might be read by hundreds, if not thousands, of people) the more you ought to make sure your message is going to say what you want it to say - not shout "HEY LOOK AT ME!! I'M NOT WITH STUPID - I AM STUPID!!!"

When I was teaching poetry classes I used to tell everyone it was akin to dressing up for a blind date. If you want to impress the person you're meeting you put on your best clothing, if you're a woman you put on make up and shave your legs, if you're a man, you brush your teeth and you exchange your cut-off sweat pants for a decent pair of jeans and a clean shirt - otherwise they'll think you don't give a damn what they think of you - and they probably won't go out with you again.

That's what correct spelling and proper grammar does. It makes people think better of you - and makes them willing to continue reading whatever it is you're writing.
  15. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

No, no, it wasn't the liberal teachers' fault... it's left-wing plants posing as illiterate right-wingers!

Oh let's cut to the chase, conservative illiteracy is the fault of anybody but conservatives :rolleyes:

How's that personal accountability thing going, guys?

PFnV
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yeah, those guys and their signs are too funny and they earned every remark that came their way. Somewhere along the line they failed to grasp the concepts you just illustrated so well. Usually that starts with the parents, then the teacher and the finally the student. In the end though each individual has an opportunity to overcome it and break the mold.

I was only half serious about the liberal teacher deal. Actually though I had an English teacher in my junior year(1970) of high school that allowed us once to grade our own quarter. He said he would honor whatever we graded ourselves and to let our conscience be our guide. That was the last time he ever did that:D He was a miracle worker I tell ya. The school I don't think has ever seen since anyone make so many failing students into instant geniuses.....but I think that story shows you what can go wrong when you break too far away from teaching/learning basics.
  17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well not everyone else. It's either Liberal teachers or Canada:p
  18. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0

It depends on the age group. My children's teachers don't stress about their spelling when they write stories, but then again they are only in kindergarten and only now learning how to read. I think its fantastic that they are learning both at the same time, using what is called "inventive spelling". In fact I think the process will help them in the long run as it helps them learn their sounds faster and puts them ahead of the curve with both reading and writing. And as a former poetry teacher, I am sure you would agree that the most important for a writer is to write.

As for the pictures, stupid people come in all shapes, sizes and party affiliations. I was bored with them after a few.
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I don't know, BSR. Maybe. That's when they started telling my kids not to worry about spelling, either. The problem came later when it WAS time to worry about it - it meant they not only had to learn something new but to unlearn something already ingrained - which was the phonetic spelling they'd been using. Because we didn't have a television and I was a readaholic all my kids had a decent handle on reading by the time they got to kindergarten so I can't speak as to if they'd have read better or not due to no stress on spelling but I'd think it would have hindered them rather than helped them. Most kids sight read to a large extent - so if they've been writing "house" spelled as "hous" or "cat" spelled as "Kat" they aren't going to recognize the correct spelling in a regular story or book setting. It honestly seemed to me that the longer my kids were in school, the more lazy they got about not only spelling but reading and writing, as well.

As for the most important thing to do being write for a writer - honestly, sometimes I'm not so sure. I've read an awful lot of trash in poetry class rooms. The most important thing to do is treat it like it's important, I think. If someone intends on only writing for him or her self then yeah, the most important thing to do is write everything that comes to mind. However, if the writer intends on having other people read it and appreciate it then other factors enter into the equation. It needs to be orderly, it needs to be concise, it needs to be interesting, it needs a beginning, a middle and an end. It needs to be spelled properly, the grammar needs to be correct.

Now that we've entered the computer age it's almost criminal for anything meant for public consumption to be misspelled. There's a little thing called "spell check" on virtually every computer in the world. Not to use it when you're turning in an assignment is the height of stupidity.

(just for clarification - I'm not talking about the occasional transposed letters or a few random misspellings which happen in a chat room or on a football board - those are unavoidable and insignificant. I'm talking about school papers or letters to editors or writing assignments when people use things like "they went 2 the store," or "The big bad woff 8 the granma with his big teth." )

Ok, I'm all worked up now. Time to go eat a cookie or something.
  20. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0

Well, I guess it depends on how well that is covered in the later grades. At this point I am not too worried about it as I can see the progression they are making and the general improvement in their spelling as the year goes on. However, I can certainly see how they could learn some bad habits and I do see your point.

You might be approaching it from the view of a natural writer, or someone that has been doing it for a very long time, but I think for many people formulating and organizing their thoughts is probably the biggest problem. That is something that can only be done with practice, practice and more practice. I wish I had done more through my elementary education. It would have made college that much easier. (Then again, I was ESL so that's a whole different situation)

Totally agree with that.

Sorry, didn't mean to work you up. I just thought this was much more interesting then plain politics.