Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tea Party Stops Flouridation of Water in Florida..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 6, 2011.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

and there will be a huge need for more dentists in the next ten years, and folks will whine about increased costs of dental care..

The flouride argument has been around since it was first introduced and is often described as some type of communist plot..

Guess the "Tea Party" hijacked this town meeting and bullied their way into stopping flouridation of water in Pinella's county..

Florida's Pinellas County rejects fluoride in drinking water

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +439 / 6 / -9

Weird how right populism has run its course as people see how self-evidently loony they were.

Occupy Wall Street is real grass roots, born of real economic frustration, not fear of a Black leader.

But you know what? As individuals in that segment rise to prominence, and/or that movement funnels into the larger politics, a similar dissipation seems inevitable. All such movements must either expend themselves in the transformation of one or the other larger grouping, or else result in a revolution. Thus far in the U.S., it's been the former (and I really think, despite all the bad things about America, that that's a good thing. Revolutions are typically quite messy.)

But if the equivalent to this happens in some towns across the country -- say, towns declaring themselves communes or some such -- watch the righties' heads explode.

PFnV
  3. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I take issue with this. I remember the real beginning of the Tea Party. Now, yes, it's become a relatively reactionary populist thing, but it was grass roots initially. It was in the waning days of Bush's Presidency, when he did the first bailout. Many conservative folks did not like it, and they began to be more vocal about their frustration with that type of spending. It wasn't more organized until Obama took office and did the second bailout. To generalize their motives as being part of a bigoted world view is unfair. Maybe some, yes. But not in totality.

I had hoped originally that they might be a legitimate voice for libertarian philosophy, but, alas, I was wrong. Too bad.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +111 / 1 / -6

#51 Jersey

YEP, thats the Tea Party's job, to raise prices on everything and screw over americans. :rolleyes:

Dental Care | Health Articles | Dangers of Fluoride in Water
  5. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +335 / 4 / -10

people still drink water from the tap?

ew
  6. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +335 / 4 / -10

not that this is their reasoning, water flouridation is by no means a cure all and can cause problems

flourosis

[​IMG]
  7. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As odd as it is of an issue to try and tackle at this moment, I am fairly certain in 15 years, teeth here in this state will be as good as anywhere, and people will see it was just another worthless government mandate.
  8. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Funny how the fleabagger movement starts up just as Herman Cain becomes a strong candidate for the GOP hmmmm?
  9. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well the Tea Party movement rose up because of Ron Paul's message of over taxing and government over-reach, which started before Obama even secured the Democratic Nomination...
  10. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I always credit Santelli with the start of it. The name had been floated around but I think he was the real start.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

would that be the same Ron Paul who is now praising these guys??
  12. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

That coincided w/the Obama Presidency, didn't it?

I don't think it was entirely a reaction to Obama, but I think that a Dem being elected was part of it, and a Dem who is black and with a funny name was part of it, too.

The real question is where all these people were during the Bush years, and even before that? Pete Petersen may have been the most prominent spokesman for less government spending and decreased federal debt, and he's been on it for almost 2 decades.
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

On one level it seems as though it was repressed rage about all the lies we were told by our government for the past 50-60 years, when Obama got elected he became a scapegoat... a convergence of many issues, so to speak

Many folks could not be rageful when George W. was prez, as it would have been miscontrued as unpatriotic..

Under Clinton people were making boatloads of cash so no one cared...

Under Bush 1 many were austruck by "Shock and Awe"..

Under Reagan, communism was still the great menace and he got away with mucho shyt.. including the start of the deficit stuff... tax increases and doing a whole bunch of behind the scenes stuff with Iranians and Nicaraguan's....

Under Carter, high gas prices and Iranian Hostages did him in..

It goes on and on and on...

Get my drift...
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  14. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yes, Ron Paul is celebrating their right to do this... Not their message by the way.