Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tea Party Reps Vote With Democrats!!!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

And people thought it would never happen!!

Nine House Republican freshmen and three inaugural members of the Tea Party Caucus voted against a proposed extension of three Patriot Act provisions Tuesday night, helping block the measure from passage under fast-track rules.

The House clearly backed the measure, voting 277 to 148 to extend the provisions, and most Republicans stuck by their leadership and supported the extension. But enough defected, joined by most Democrats, to keep the measure from receiving the two-thirds majority required for passage under the fast-track procedure.

Attention immediately swung to whether House members sympathetic to the tea party had decided the matter, especially after Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio) said Monday that the vote would be "the tea party's first test."

The Republicans who voted no Tuesday night included Roscoe G. Bartlett (Md.), Paul Broun (Ga.) and Walter B. Jones (N.C.), all of whom were original members of the House Tea Party Caucus when it was founded last summer.

And nine GOP freshmen also voted no: Justin Amash (Mich.), Michael G. Fitzpatrick (Pa.), Christopher P. Gibson (N.Y.), Tom Graves (Ga.), Randy Hultgren (Ill.), Raul R. Labrador (Idaho), Robert Schilling (Ill.), David Schweikert (Ariz.) and Rob Woodall (Ga.).

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2011/02/gop-freshmen-help-derail-patri.html
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

It's be fun to see how righties handle this, since they're so used to marching in lockstep with their Party.
  3. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Good. I think it's a sign that some at least in the Tea Party are taking their constituents seriously. If they truly are a libertarian-ish movement, as they claim, this is the way one would expect them to vote. I know more than a few libertarians, and they had no love for the Patriot Act.
  4. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

The Tea Party has some redeeming characteristics after all. Good on those 9 members!
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,045 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

You and others need to pay more attention - tea party people are not necessarily conservatives. You may even become fond of them over time - not loving fond - perhaps just amusingly fond as in they will serve a purpose here and there just as the blue dogs did for the right here and there.
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

That was not my point. My point was about how other right wingers would react (and isn't it interesting that so far they're avoiding this thread).

That said, I know libertarians are not necessarily conservatives; the problem with libertarian ideas is that they play into the hands of bigots by supporting legalized discrimination, cutbacks to programs that tend to help those discriminated against, and support for policies that tend to help those who benefit from discrimination.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

On most of the right wing sites this AM, the feeling seems to be that the Republicans were asleep at the wheel...

Patriot Act reverse surprises GOP - Washington Times

Rank-and-file reject Patriot Act - Jake Sherman and Marin Cogan - POLITICO.com

But in reality most of the Right Wing Site.. Hot Air, Townhall etc. choose to ignore this news, and are more concerned with what Sarah says or about the book that Bristol is going to "write"....

Such is the state of the news.. they want you to know what they want you to know..
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Tea Partiers are old time Americans (real far left loons despise them) don't be surprised to see the Tea Party agree and support the Democrats on other things many Tea Partiers are just like me We Used To Be Democrats until the "Moonbats" took the party over.

Maybe We Will Come Back-----------:)
  9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

But you repeat yourself.
  10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The thing is as much as some here want to go right to the ugly, some independence from party was indeed exercised here. Why not celebrate that?
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Libs believe their own stereotypes about conservatives/libertarians that they move in lockstep. Perhaps they imagine they are as intolerant as dems would wouldn't allow B Casey to speak at their convention because we was pro life.

The Tea PArty reps/supporters evaluate each issue and respond according to how they view the constitutionality of the proposal. I don't know enough about the bill to comment on whether I agree with them or not on this bill.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +518 / 6 / -2

Look at how trivial peolple are in here. They are auto piloted to criticize anything D/R depending on their personal affiliation. Then people wonder why we're in the mess we're in.

BTW people, this is exactly why we even have a Tea Party. It exists because enough of us in the voting public want to see principles guide policy, and nothing more. I'm stoked to see some people actually doing what they said they would. I can only hope that this type of action is contagious. The Patriot Act should be debated publically before it's even considered for any form of renewel. If it is even passed at all, it should be stripped down and made constitutional. So many people have no idea what's even in it, including myself. I've been watching that Judge Napolitano show a little bit more of late, and he's been pointing out some of the powers that are entrenched in the Act. Crazy stuff.
  13. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The first post in this thread shows a fundamental ignorance of what the tea party is beyond what Jon Stewart and the Huffington Post say it is.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

Conservatives/liberatarians do not belong in the same sentence.. see the views of Liberatarians on gay marriage, abortion, war, foreign aid et al.

Sounds nice, but does not make much sense. It seems to me that all that is done is an effort to disguise conservatism from what it really is.. so lets tag another label on it to make it palatible...
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

The fracturing of the republican party continues.

I've gotta hand it to these Tea Baggers. The Patriot act shat all over our 4th amendment rights, and was a huge intrusion of government. They said they were going to do this when y'all voted your boys in ... this isn't shocking.

It's a small vicory for the constitution, and your rights.

HAVING SAID THAT.......

Using the same logic: When the debt ceiling comes up for a vote, and the tea baggers keep their word, the united states will default and go bankrupt. MOST will blame the tea baggers, or the democrats, or even the republicans, but the truth is.... Its our own fault as Americans, we have sat here doing nothing for 30 years while wall street and unregulated capitalism drained us of jobs, money and rights.

tick tock...
  16. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

When the Tea Party first started to come about, I was definitely intrigued at the thought of a viable third party. When the neocon elements of the Republican party tried to hijack it, I started to become disillusioned, especially as it seemed that the TP was moving in that direction. If they can keep up with a firm third party agenda (in a libertarian-esque vein), I'll definitely eat my words and revisit my conclusions about the direction of the movement.
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

18. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +252 / 3 / -4

As darryl points out, conservatives and libertarians are 2 very different animals.

Who is "they"? because the republican party hasn't shown itself to be fond of pro-choice candidates.

We'll see. I hope they generally do this and continue to do so, as it would differentiate them from both major parties.

I'm still skeptical of their long-term existence, but I would very much like for them to prove me wrong.

-------------------

Back to the actual topic, I think this is a very good thing. We see candidates thinking for themselves as opposed to voting in lockstep with a party.

I think this is particularly the case given my understanding of the nature of the vote -- whether to "fast-track" something as opposed to (hopefully) giving it greater consideration with (hopefully) some thoughtful debate from both people on both sides of the issue.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

The influence of the Koch brothers, big pharma et al has tainted the whole process.. they have become the them that they warned us about.

They lost their purity and have become another pawn in the poltical machine..
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Agreed. It doesn't take long for a movement to be co-opted in America. I started to realize that there is nothing the corporate pigs won't mess with when I heard Janis Joplin singing on a Mercedes commercial and Led Zeppelin on a Cadillac ad. They are totally up front with it now, and they don't care what anyone thinks. If Ralph Nader ever revives the Green Party, i wouldn't be surprised if I saw Dupont and Exxon supporting and funding it...just so it could be absorbed into the Republicrat "family". Wait for Michael Moore wearing a Tyson Foods baseball hat soon.