Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tea Party leader demonstrates his idiocy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/todd-akin-legitimate-rape.php?ref=fpa

Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill, justified his opposition to abortion rights even in case of rape with a claim that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses that prevent pregnancy.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

A 1996 study by the American Journal of Obstetricians and Gynecologists found “rape-related pregnancy occurs with significant frequency” and is “a cause of many unwanted pregnancies” — an estimated “32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year.”

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +383 / 67 / -92

#87 Jersey

Fxckin stupid by anybodys standards. Whats he been doing hanging around Joe Biden?

3. Phokus

Phokus Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tea Partiers are sub-human garbage

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

I also think he's stupid, his mother should have aborted him.

5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +255 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Don't worry Todd, the electorate has ways of shutting your whole Senate hopes down when they hear stupid remarks like that.

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,025 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

These are the people running the country ...
    and then the President gets the blame. - this guy is a pud.

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +841 / 27 / -33

Isn't this the same guy who wants to repeal the civil rights act and voting acts of the 60's...

This guy may unseat Joe Walsh for the biggest right wing azz clown.. another effort to suppress the vote and insure totalitarian rule...

8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Well Sarah Palin and the Tea Party endorsed a different candidate in this race. They endorsed Sarah Steelman.

You slander of the Tea Party is incorrect and you should change the title of the thread rather than perpetrate a lie.

Nothing in you link even makes this claim about this guy being a Tea Party leader.

Why are you resorting to lies and distortion about the Tea Party?

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

Are you telling me not to trust Fox News or are you saying that a Tea Partier who is a candidate for US Senate is not a leader? (Also, FYI, Bachmann, among others, endorsed Akin.)

Tea Party-backed Rep. Akin wins Missouri GOP Senate primary to take on McCaskill | Fox News

Missouri Rep. Todd Akin broke out of a three-way GOP primary fight Tuesday and won the nomination to take on Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill in the fall. Akin had played up his Tea Party credentials, in an unusual primary race in which all three candidates claimed conservative, outsider appeal.

The results send yet another Tea Party-backed candidate into the general election, with the McCaskill face-off considered one of the most closely watched Senate races of the year.

10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have to admit I am a bit confused. I thought the feminazis were always telling us that rape isn't about sex? :confused: :confused:

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

I am telling you that Sarah Palin endorsed Steeleman over thsi guy in the pub primary.

Press Release - Governor Palin Endorses Steelman in Republican Senate Primary

And a National Tea Party Group endorses Steeleman:

National tea party group endorses Steelman

12. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Huh? Not sure where you're going here, wolf

13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +255 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

The Tea Party is so fractured that you cannot look at this guy or that guy and define it based on what they say or do. You can have the likes of Kira Davis( http://kiradavis.net/ ) all the way to the likes this idiot that claim Tea Party credentials. The two have almost nothing in common.

Patters I think you like to generalize to make political points but I disagree that truth needs to take a back seat. The ends do not justify the means just because it's a campaign where winning is seen as the only thing.

14. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Probably got that info from Bob Jones University, they're up on the latest research. ;)

15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,025 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

i was a Limbaugh listener in the 80's when he was making a ton of dough talking about the feminazis. :p

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

I think this guy did mangle what he meant to say in a very Bidenesque way.

That said he should resign and let Steeleman run on the ticket (the pubs have till 8/21 to submit their candidate).

I think what he was alluding to was the medical thought that a traumatic event like an assault rape causes hormone changes that make a full term pregnancy less likely.

The idea was discussed for example in a 1999 article on rape and pregnancy written by an MD for a Christian life journal:

Christian Life Resources

17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,112 / 16 / -9

Quite a difference between 30,000, and "if we use this and that estimate we get 200," from some sort of "religion mixed with science" site.

Patters, do you think the 200 figure is accurate, or the 30,000+ figure you quoted? I'm curious about the discrepancy.

By the way, has Patters insulted all rape victims if he doesn't agree with your source? Or do you have to e-mail one of the guys running the website for his disagreement to be a ban-able offense? :)

PFnV

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

I linked the site as the sort of information that is out there that Akin might have been trying to express when he made his gaffe.

I don't know if the information is strictly correct or not. or if the figures that Patters cites are correct.

The way he derives his numbers doesn't seem to be totally irrational he cited FBI figures for the number of cases and then statistical data and probabilities as applied to the general case of getting pregnant from a single sexual encounter, with the speculation in the quote.

Like I said Pubs aren't allowed to make the sort of gaffes that dems get away with so he should get out in favor of Steeleman. McCaskell is very unpopular in Mo. and should be an easy win if the discussion is about her support of Obama and Obamacare.

Instead the press will make the campaign about this gaffe and not the economy.

19. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Why are you on patters for this one? Your point re the "tea party" is well taken, but the guy claims to be tea party, he has a tea party endorsement and bachman's endorsement, and you have foxnews calling him
    Tea party. And meanwhile in this thread, you've got 13 claiming patters is spreading lies simply because there is no "true" tea party and this moron got Bachman 's endorsement rather than his own fav, palin.

It's not like patters made this up.

20. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +473 / 3 / -3

#11 Jersey

Is he the leader of the tea party? When people point out the rapes and murders and vandalism of the OWS it is always a case of individuals that just said they were part of the OWS. Even if that person were called OWS by MSNBC or some other news channel.

But he big question is... how did this person become the leader of the Tea Party??