PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE vs. WR depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It seems likely we'll have 5 WR + Slater on the roster, dress 4 WR + Slater, and use a maximum of 3 WR at one time, most commonly 2. (Because Gronk, Hernandez, and an RB are all likely to be on the field as well.)

It seems likely we'll have 3 TEs on the roster, dress 3, and use a maximum of 3 at one time, most commonly 2.

Bit of a disparity there. Yes, I know both WRs and OTs can back up TEs; but TEs can also backup WRs.

One possible explanation -- the quality of a TE as a receiver is fairly binary, or rather trinary (Gronk, slow guy with great hands, JAG without great hands). But I don't really buy that; e.g., Watson doesn't fit into my trichotomy.

Last edited:
Patriots are heading back to a vertical style of offense....and with the TEs and WRs we have to choose from that should have the league a little concerned given the success of 2007 under the same style, with the same players, the same OC and now another dimension with GronkAndez thrown into the mix.

This style of offense may suite Ochocinco a little better too.

Last edited:
Patriots are heading back to a vertical style of offense....and with the TEs and WRs we have to choose from that should have the league a little concerned given the success of 2007 under the same style, with the same players, the same OC and now another dimension with GronkAndez thrown into the mix.

This style of offense may suite Ochocinco a little better too.

God help the league if Ridley progresses too. He gives us a homerun threat out of the backfield we didn't have in 07 too.

Gronk is such a great player that the drop-off when he was hurt doesn't really prove much.

But the fact that Solder took regular snaps at TE and hence had to leave the field on some plays (due to eligibility-swapping rules) suggest we were too thin at TE last season.

I guess one question is whether we'd ever want to use 3 TEs other than for a few jumbo-package plays. Last season 3 TE sets looked good for the occasional whole series, but we didn't have an FB and we didn't have many outstanding WRs. So maybe there's no real need to staff up for that kind of grouping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back