PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Visanthe Shiancoe to in season IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a huge fan of Shiancoe getting that IR spot. Hopefully there are 0 injury concerns for the rest of the team and it's a moot point.

And what are the chances of that happening? Shiancoe is quickly becoming the Taylor Price of Patsfans.com too many post for such an average player.:rolleyes:

The interesting twist to this is that if you are sure a player will be back the rule states he must remain on the list for 8 weeks but can come off it any time thereafter. So no three week window as with regular IR. Shiancoe can't come off until week 9, our bye week, so effectively could not be back until week 10. Ballard can come off after week 7 or up until week 9 and practice for three weeks and then either be activated or be IR'd for the remainder of the season. It would seem to somewhat insure Bill a supply of available replacement 4th TE's from week 8 thru the end of the season.

Jeff Howe tweeted something about the short term IR player being able to practice after week 3, but I didn't see that mentioned in the rules.

I think the rule is you can begin practicing after 6 weeks and are allowed back after 8.

I agree. :D

I would save it for a key starter either on offense or defense somewhere down the line.
I figured you would be on the IR for doing handsprings over this announcement

I figured you would be on the IR for doing handsprings over this announcement
I would rather have Branch on the 53 man roster than Shiancoe. Branch is a proven pass receiving option within the system as opposed to Shiancoe, who is currently a complete unknown at this point in time.

To each his own.

I would rather have Branch on the 53 man roster than Shiancoe. Branch is a proven pass receiving option within the system as opposed to Shiancoe, who is currently a complete unknown at this point in time.

To each his own.
Shaincoe isn't on the 53 man roster.
And by the way, Shiancoe is not a rookie who has never produced. He has been a near probowl level TE.

Last edited by a moderator:

To each his own.

What we KNOW about The Twig is that he looked completely done in the NFL at the end of last season. Now he's a year older and though he flashed against scrubs in preseason he's even less likely to be effective for this next season of football.

I think he's great on the Shadow Roster and hope for our sake that this once quick older player remains there.

Shaincoe isn't on the 53 man roster.
And by the way, Shiancoe is not a rookie who has never produced. He has been a near probowl level TE.
Joey Galloway was a better career wide receiver than Visanthe Shiancoe has been at tight end. That doesn't mean the receiving option is a system fit.

Joey Galloway was a better career wide receiver than Visanthe Shiancoe has been at tight end. That doesn't mean the receiving option is a system fit.
You cannot seriously tell me that signing one over the hill player who didn't work out is proof that any player from another team will fail.

What we KNOW about The Twig is that he looked completely done in the NFL at the end of last season.
Deion Branch didn't look done to me catching that bomb in the AFC Divisional Playoffs against the Denver Broncos. As for done, that was Chad Ochostinko.

Now he's a year older and though he flashed against scrubs in preseason he's even less likely to be effective for this next season of football.
Depth at the wide receiver position (split end and flanker) should not be ignored.

I think he's great on the Shadow Roster and hope for our sake that this once quick older player remains there.
Visanthe Shiancoe is no spring chicken at the age of 32 either.

Last edited:
What if Brady goes down and we want to use that in season IR???

You cannot seriously tell me that signing one over the hill player who didn't work out is proof that any player from another team will fail.
As opposed to the following ex-Patriots tight ends:

Fred Baxter
Kyle Brady
Chris Baker

We'll keep him on the 53 but keep him inactive on game days.

Agree completely.
I'd rather wait and see if some 1st line valuable player needs the respite to return as our January playoff zombie. This team seems fit to win in the regular season; the playoffs not as much.

Also completely agree.
The past 20 or so seasons have seen an important starter injured.
It might happen again.

Apparently anyone-uwai can replace your fourth TE.
Not so your left tackle, RDE, starting WR, LB, etc.

Whats the other option wait for an injury you dont know will happen while potentially losing a talented player for the year?

I really dont like the structure of this rule. It makes it stupid and difficult to use.

All players should go on the same IR no designation and at any point in the season you should be allowed to take one player off. You should be able to wait and see what positions get more riddled and you should be able to wait and see how each player progresses in their rehab from injury.

Pretty much, it seems. I guess that's what it comes down to - I'm fine with losing Shiancoe for the year, since we have 3 TEs who are better than him anyway. I think the possibility that one of Brady, Welker, Mankins, Wilfork, Gronk, Hernandez, Mayo, etc. goes down with an 8+ week injury, combined with their value to the team, is sufficient that I'd save it.

It would take an injury to a more important player, IMO -- a Spikes, Gregory, Vollmer, Dowling type -- to make this a more compelling question. For the fourth TE, it just seems like there's not much reward for the opportunity cost. I'm really surprised that Belichick seems to have basically wasted this asset; he's the last coach that I'd expect that from. Either that or he holds Shiancoe in much higher esteem than all of us seem to.

Last edited:

We'll be screwed. But at least Mallet will have five, maybe six, tight ends to throw to.

If a key player goes down, we would keep on the 53 rather than putting him on IR.

Pretty much, it seems. I guess that's what it comes down to - I'm fine with losing Shiancoe for the year, since we have 3 TEs who are better than him anyway. I think the possibility that one of Brady, Welker, Mankins, Wilfork, Gronk, Hernandez, Mayo, etc. goes down with an 8+ week injury, combined with their value to the team, is sufficient that I'd save it.

It would take an injury to a more important player, IMO -- a Spikes, Gregory, Vollmer, Dowling type -- to make this a more compelling question. For the fourth TE, it just seems like there's not much reward for the opportunity cost. I'm really surprised that Belichick seems to have basically wasted this asset; he's the last coach that I'd expect that from. Either that or he holds Shiancoe in much higher esteem than all of us seem to.

The comparison is not Brady/Welker/Mankins/Wilfork etc vs Shiancoe. If Welker goes down with an 8 week injury tomorrow, you aren't IRing him. You are keeping him on the roster at the expense of the last man on the roster that will need to be cut in order to bring Branch back. The thing is, he already knows he wants to bring Schiancoe back so using this rule allows him to keep that 53rd guy now.

If a key player goes down, we would keep on the 53 rather than putting him on IR.

Yup exactly. The restrictions imo make it so that your best using it on the first mid level guy who gets hurt. Carry the 54when you can and decide to carry or ir anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes