PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I knew Vernon Davis was a great football player, but didn't know what an elite athlete he was. I think Pope might move into the #2 slot for TEs. I don't think teams realizes how fluid he is.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9270956

dryheat44 said:
I knew Vernon Davis was a great football player, but didn't know what an elite athlete he was. I think Pope might move into the #2 slot for TEs. I don't think teams realizes how fluid he is.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9270956

42" vertical at 252 lbs! Unbelievable numbers. AND productive on the field, AND he impressed the combine reporters with his intelligence and maturity at the podium. And Pope's measurables are also astonishing given that he's 6'7".

All of which is good news for those of us hoping for an early run on tight ends to drop a nifty defensive player to #21.

Anybody know anything about Tony Scheffler??? He seems to possess the quickness that BB coverts.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

Maryland tight end Vernon Davis measured in at 6' 3" and 254 pounds. That height is not ideal compared to other top tight ends, but rumors that he was shorter than his listed height in college (6' 3") are not true, which is good for Davis' draft potential.

On the flip side, former Western Michigan tight end/first baseman Tony Scheffler measured in at only 6-foot 3/8, which could mean he'll have to move to fullback or H-Back at the next level.

Last edited:
I don't think Vernon Davis did all that great. He ran fast and jumped well, but he disappeared in the 3-cone, short shuttle, and long shuttle runs. Just looking at these Combine numbers, what exactly do they mean? That he runs explosively fast in a straight line, but can't effectively cut or make any other football-like movements?

I just don't understand the Combine buzz.

Boston Tim said:
I don't think Vernon Davis did all that great. He ran fast and jumped well, but he disappeared in the 3-cone, short shuttle, and long shuttle runs. Just looking at these Combine numbers, what exactly do they mean? That he runs explosively fast in a straight line, but can't effectively cut or make any other football-like movements?

I just don't understand the Combine buzz.

He didn't disappear. He still put up good times, just not the best.

Davis was the #1 rated TE before the combine. I think the combine just proved that he was an exceptional athlete as well as a great football player.

dryheat44 said:
He didn't disappear. He still put up good times, just not the best.
3-cone: #6
Short Shuttle: #6
Long Shuttle: either didn't run or not top 6.

<shrug>

dryheat44 said:
Davis was the #1 rated TE before the combine. I think the combine just proved that he was an exceptional athlete as well as a great football player.
Running fast doesn't by itself make someone a great athlete. Had he been top 3 in all categories, you'd hear no argument from me. I do agree that he is the #1 TE, but from gameplay and not combine numbers.

Boston Tim said:
I do agree that he is the #1 TE, but from gameplay and not combine numbers.

Then we're in agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing