PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE draft or acquistion necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jczxohn1

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Re-reading the Stan Jacksina article brought back the fact that this is the second time Graham has been out due to a shoulder injury. He was in 2002 as well. Wonder if it was the same shoulder? Wasn't it when he dove for a pass and fell on it?

Anecdotally, it appeared as if there was an unusual number of shoulder injuries last season. I think I wondered aloud to my keyboard, on a post long since dead to hackers, about the numbers and the possibility of an equipment change being involved....

BB needs 3 TEs for camp, a top draft pick would be good value, then a FA and UDFA to round things out and perhaps develop someone for the shadow roster. As far as Graham, he was the best blocker on the team last season and I would like to see him extended this year.

If we extend Graham then a Fauria/Weaver type should be enough and we would hope he'd never actually play. If they think Graham's leaving, a higher upside draft choice should be used so he would be ready in 2007 and as an emergency in 2006.

BelichickFan said:
If we extend Graham then a Fauria/Weaver type should be enough and we would hope he'd never actually play. If they think Graham's leaving, a higher upside draft choice should be used so he would be ready in 2007 and as an emergency in 2006.
All three TEs play. 44 seperate players get used in most Patriots' games, better have a 3rd TE who can keep things going even if he is never needed as an injury replacement.

Absolutely another quality TE is needed, especially if the team thinks Graham is on his way out. They certainly could bring in a vet to the mix, but I sense with high a number of TE propspects, one will be drafted.

jczxohn1 said:
Re-reading the Stan Jacksina article brought back the fact that this is the second time Graham has been out due to a shoulder injury. He was in 2002 as well. Wonder if it was the same shoulder? Wasn't it when he dove for a pass and fell on it?

I see absolutely no reason why, if a TE is the best player available after round 1, the Patriots shouldn't grab him. They use TE's alot, and you can't have too much talent. Now, let's hope we fill more of a need in round 2 or 3, but ya never know how it's going to shake out.

It is not necessary to draft a 3rd TE on day 1. The key word is necessary.

That doesn't mean they won't or shouldn't. If the best guy on the board is a TE at one of their picks there is a roster spot available for one.

I see TE as a FA issue.

Acuire a Weaver type through FA as a #3 TE. I hope they plan on resigning Graham. He is part of the 'young core' of the team.

They'll probably draft a TE who's a solid special teamer. They need their third TE to be active, so he's going to have to play Teams as well. Rookie offense-only guys don't fly around here.

Bostonian1962 said:
I see absolutely no reason why, if a TE is the best player available after round 1, the Patriots shouldn't grab him. They use TE's alot, and you can't have too much talent. Now, let's hope we fill more of a need in round 2 or 3, but ya never know how it's going to shake out.

They use TEs a lot for blocking. They need to use them more in the passing game.

I don't see us spending an early round pick on a TE, unless next year's draft looks like **** for TEs right now.

patsfan13 said:
Acuire a Weaver type through FA as a #3 TE. I hope they plan on resigning Graham. He is part of the 'young core' of the team.

I would have been completely content for the Patriots to have brought back the prototype "Weaver type" ...
Jed Weaver himself ... and play out that scenario.
Since this was not to be ... and since the club doesn't re-sign stalwarts as soon as we fans instruct them to do ...
then Graham, alas, probably is going to be exposed to the fickle winds of free agency
before we make a move to get him back.

This means to me that, on Saturday,
unless we find someone with whom to trade down,
with pick #21 we are going to acquire
another superlative specimen of a tight end.

It is the only position i see us spending a first on.

Three topnotch TEs on the field at one time ...
with one playing H-back ...
could make for an alarmingly potent offense ...
a unique challenge to defenses.

AndyJohnson said:
I see TE as a FA issue.

Who are the FA TEs that the Patriots could bring in that are somewhat well rounded?

sieglo said:
They use TEs a lot for blocking. They need to use them more in the passing game.

I don't see us spending an early round pick on a TE, unless next year's draft looks like **** for TEs right now.

Unless a lot of underclass TEs join the 2007 draft, the 2007 draft looks VERY weak at TE. 5 total 1st day prospects.

Matt Spaeth - Minnesota
Clark Harris - Rutgers
Tyler Ecker - Michigan
Jonny Harline - BYU
Martrez Milner - Georgia

Potential underclass TEs:
Greg Olsen - Miami
Zach Miller - Arizona State
Jason Goode - Maryland.

DaBruinz said:
Unless a lot of underclass TEs join the 2007 draft, the 2007 draft looks VERY weak at TE. 5 total 1st day prospects.

Matt Spaeth - Minnesota
Clark Harris - Rutgers
Tyler Ecker - Michigan
Jonny Harline - BYU
Martrez Milner - Georgia

Potential underclass TEs:
Greg Olsen - Miami
Zach Miller - Arizona State
Jason Goode - Maryland.

I'm a big fan of Harris.

I think TE is definitely a spot they will be looking at. Not only do they require 3 on the roster, they really like ot have 3 GOOD ones, AND Graham is in his contract year. Pats very much want to build depth behind Graham in case he leaves, I have no doubt of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes