PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Clay Harbor- What do we have here ? An underrated under the radar signing ? Or a JAG ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From his contract, it surprisingly looks like he is a lock to make the team. That's not a JAG contract to bring someone in just for camp competition. As much as it would be great to get James Develin back, Harbor's versatility with playing fullback could make Develin expendable.
Most of have us carrying 3 TE's and 1 FB,

He seems to be more of an H-back than a true TE somewhat of a poor man's Hernandez. They paid him a decent amount this season so I can't seem him not on the roster.

imo, more of a jag, but will battle it out with aj derby.

personally, i think derby is the one who could surprise.

He seems to be more of an H-back than a true TE somewhat of a poor man's Hernandez. They paid him a decent amount this season so I can't seem him not on the roster.

yep, more of an h back.

I don't know. But he sure balled out against the Pats. So naturally we had to sign him. It was a forgone conclusion the week following the game against the Jags.:eek:

Most of have us carrying 3 TE's and 1 FB,
So you are saying that Develin is a lock based on what? I know he is a fan favorite, and I like him too, but I think it could come down to a numbers game. If Harbor proves himself to be a more than adequate fullback, you don't think that impacts Develin's chances of making the 53?.

Its not like every team in the Belichick era has had a true FB.

So you are saying that Develin is a lock based on what? I know he is a fan favorite, and I like him too, but I think it could come down to a numbers game. If Harbor proves himself to be a more than adequate fullback, you don't think that impacts Develin's chances of making the 53?.

I wouldn't go as far to say Develin is a lock but personally I think he is much more likely to make the team than not. It is more about Josh than Bill. Josh loves FBs and likes to carry them. Develin before his injury was a staple on the game day roster.

The thing that i think is more likely to keep him off the roster than the young guys behind him is his health. We can not automatically assume he will bounce back 100%. If he does not he is gone and if he does not make the team then i don't think the Pats carry a FB at all.

Right now i have the Pats keeping Lewis, White Bolden Develin and Blount with Brown being a tough cut. But injuries happen a lot at that position and if Develin is not happy Brown steps in and you focus on becoming more pass happy with your RBs.

Also if Lewis starts on the PUP keep Brown of course.

If Develin is back to full strength I think he makes the team over Harbor. Develin's positive impact in the run game is pretty significant. I feel like Harbor was kind of an insurance signing in case Develin wasn't 100%. Harbor is a nice player but not really special. Derby could be just as good or better depending on how he has developed.

imo, more of a jag, but will battle it out with aj derby.

He may find himself in a battle with Michael Williams, our blocking TE3 from last year. It's hard to predict due to Williams having some versatility as a backup/emergency OT and already having a niche in this offense.

When you throw guys such as Devlin and Derby into the mix, it should be a decent competition for that TE3 and H-back spot, or "spots."

Harbor signed for 2 years $3 million. I don't think he's getting cut.
Reiss says: Another way to look at it is that the Patriots are only on the hook for the $400,000 signing bonus, which is just $50,000 less than what receiver Reggie Wayne received last year (he was released before the end of the preseason), so it doesn't necessarily make Harbor a lock for a roster spot.

Reiss says: Another way to look at it is that the Patriots are only on the hook for the $400,000 signing bonus, which is just $50,000 less than what receiver Reggie Wayne received last year (he was released before the end of the preseason), so it doesn't necessarily make Harbor a lock for a roster spot.
Good find. I am not sure what they do with the FB/H-back/TE group. Michael Williams is essentially a tackle so if he gets cut I would think it's just a numbers thing. Of course I could be completely wrong but it is somewhat reasonable to think that Harbor and Devlin one battling for one spot.

i feel develin is a lock, yes.

yeah, harbor is far from a lock. he is here to push derby and be worked in as a move te and get looks to squeeze develin out. which is a longshot.

but, good depth camp invite, cheap and injury security. he has never played with a good qb or team either.

yeah, harbor is far from a lock. he is here to push derby and be worked in as a move te and get looks to squeeze develin out. which is a longshot.

but, good depth camp invite, cheap and injury security. he has never played with a good qb or team either.
Harbor is far more of a lock than Devlin at this point.

I wonder...if the Pats line up with Gronk on one side of the line, Bennett on the other, Edelman in the slot, Hogan wide left and Harbor at fullback with Dion Lewis or someone at tailback, opposing defensive coordinators will immediately die of a brain seizure.

But then that might be 12 men on the field so....never mind. o_O

I wonder...if the Pats line up with Gronk on one side of the line, Bennett on the other, Edelman in the slot, Hogan wide left and Harbor at fullback with Dion Lewis or someone at tailback, opposing defensive coordinators will immediately die of a brain seizure.

But then that might be 12 men on the field so....never mind. o_O
Unless Gronk lines up at Tackle

Unless Gronk lines up at Tackle

Yeah, I guess, but that would mean 4 blockers and we all know how that fared last season.

Perhaps the whole point is they can keep the same personnel grouping on the field and run or pass in like a million ways. VERY difficult to defend against possibly.

I am intrigued to see what A.J Derby and Bryce Williams shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back