PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Brad Cottam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for thoughts here; a number of mocks have suggested the Pats would take him with their own 3rd. How would he fit in the Pats' O? As a replacement for Kyle Brady? Or could he be more?

My .02 here is that it would cost a mill to cut Brady and 3 mill to play him, so I think we retain him.

My .02 here is that it would cost a mill to cut Brady and 3 mill to play him, so I think we retain him.

I'm not one who normally argues for cutting folks--especially productive ones--but that's why I'm asking (I know dryheat, among others, has suggested taking him): is it possible that, even in 2008, the Pats could get equal/better production out of Cottam and save $1.5M or so?

Don't forget that David Thomas (Texas '06 draft) should be back from injury and fully healthy for 2008. I would not be thrilled to see a high pick on a tight end when we have sevral good ones. The D and getting more athletic and younger is the direction I want the team to go in.

I'm not one who normally argues for cutting folks--especially productive ones--but that's why I'm asking (I know dryheat, among others, has suggested taking him): is it possible that, even in 2008, the Pats could get equal/better production out of Cottam and save $1.5M or so?

Maybe in the end that's what they do. With Dave Thomas coming back, K. Brady's role might diminish. He's basically another tackle at this point, and used mostly in running situations - if Thomas can block, cutting K. Brady to save the couple mill might be worth it, and then drafting a TE as you suggest - so I see your point.

There are issues will all of our TE's. Our primary needs should be dealt with in our first three picks (pass-rusher and two corners).

Belichick knows whether Brady is worth $2M of new money. I suspect not. In any case, it is worth having competition to see if the money can be saved.

Last edited:
He's a giant who catches everything near him. He runs in the mid 4.7s. If he ran .1 faster, and wasn't coming off an injury, I think he'd be a first rounder. I think there could be a spot on the roster for him. It could depend on what Belichick thinks of Spach.

Isn't Cottam a slower version of Watson? Only injured more than Watson? (If that is possible.)

Isn't Cottam a slower version of Watson? Only injured more than Watson? (If that is possible.)

With more mass, better hands and blocking ability. Injury status is a toss-up. He's not nearly the deep threat or athletic mis-match Watson can be in the passing game.

Last edited:

Is Ben Watson Fast?:confused: That's news to me because i don't remember Watson running away from ANY LB's or Safeties in this league.

Last edited:
Is Ben Watson Fast?:confused: That's news to me because i don't remember Watson running away from ANY LB's or Safeties in this league.

*blink* Are you really this dumb? Or are you a bandwagoner who just started watching the Patriots? Watson is extremely fast. He caught up to Champ Bailey in the 2005 Divisional game when Bailey was running back an interception that would surely have been a TD.

Watson has routes that he's very good at. Seam routes and such. However, teams play off him and keep him in front of them because they know he can kill them. And the Pats didn't exactly use his speed to their advantage this year.

Rookie TE's don't normally contribute too much in their first year. Cottam might because he's pretty athletic, but if you want a lot of production now, NE's probably better off going with TE's on the current roster. But if they can afford the luxury of that pick, it might not be a bad idea to get him.

I put his grade at 56. And the fact that he missed almost the entire 2007 season didn't help his cause. Really, I don't see taking him with the Raiders third as a good pick. There should be a bunch of good RB's still on the board, and a few good LB's, CB's, and O-linemen still available.

I put his grade at 56. And the fact that he missed almost the entire 2007 season didn't help his cause. Really, I don't see taking him with the Raiders third as a good pick. There should be a bunch of good RB's still on the board, and a few good LB's, CB's, and O-linemen still available.

If he hadn't missed the 2007, I think he'd easily be the first TE off the board. Injuries happen. Some become chronic, some are fluky. We'll see. It's really going to depend on if Brady and Spach are here next year, and what Belichick thinks of Spach. If they both stay here, then no, it's probably not a good draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes