PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Alge Crumpler in town to visit Gillette tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think this would be a solid signing for us. I watched a few Tits games last season and Crumpler is still a pretty solid blocker. On top of that, the guy may be fat, but he can still catch a mean five yard pass when needed to. A blocking TE is what is needed and Crumpler can still get that job done (though not as well as he used to in Atlanta) and would come cheaper than a Daniel Graham. I'd be for this signing.

I honestly think this would be a solid signing for us. I watched a few Tits games last season and Crumpler is still a pretty solid blocker. On top of that, the guy may be fat, but he can still catch a mean five yard pass when needed to. A blocking TE is what is needed and Crumpler can still get that job done (though not as well as he used to in Atlanta) and would come cheaper than a Daniel Graham. I'd be for this signing.

Good observation. Some people just have their weight evenly distributed. He'd definitely be a role player, and obviously need to be affordable, but he still catches as many balls as our top TEs here and in Denver.

I think they're losing Watson. The TE class in free agency is putrid making him look like a superstar by comparison. Someone's going to throw big bucks at him and I doubt we match.

Hate to say it, but let's get the list of TEs available in round two, unless we want to go total JAG at the position.

Fine as a blocking te, but as a option reciever, no give me greg olson..

Definitely not the player he used to be with the Falcons when he was a hell of a lot lighter, but he has a positive run blocking rating from PFF:

ProFootballFocus.com - By Player

He would be an ideal complementary blocking TE if the Pats were to acquire a stretch-the-field type like Olsen.

Fine as a blocking te, but as a option reciever, no give me greg olson..

Give me both of them for the win. Also, give me both of the Olson twins for the win as well.

Why not!! , I hope its both, but would you give up a number 2 on olson or would you rather draft a te, I would take the number 2 for olson...

There are a lot of good TEs in this draft but Olsen is a proven product with soft hands that can exploit weaknesses in a defense in one on one coverage against LBs (which he would see in this offense when allowed to run routes). I'd rather give up the second for Olsen if BB is thinking about using it on a TE.

Why not!! , I hope its both, but would you give up a number 2 on olson or would you rather draft a te, I would take the number 2 for olson...

My position on Olsen's value is directly related to the question of whether or not the Patriots will get back to using the tight end as a viable receiving threat. If he's not going to see more passes than Watson and Graham did, it would be a waste of a 2nd round pick. If they're going to incorporate throwing to the tight end more often into the game plans, I could justify the move for a 2nd rounder, possibly getting back a lower pick on the other end of the deal.

Last edited:
Played in 67% of offensive snaps last season, blocking for a 2000 yard rusher.

My position on Olsen's value is directly related to the question of whether or not the Patriots will get back to using the tight end as a viable receiving threat. If he's not going to see more passes than Watson and Graham did, it would be a waste of a 2nd round pick. If they're going to incorporate throwing to the tight end more often into the game plans, I could justify the move for a 2nd rounder, possibly getting back a lower pick on the other end of the deal.
We haven't thrown to the TE a lot since Bledsoe was the QB. There's no reason I can see to think we'll suddenly start. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be Brady's thing the way Bledsoe used to like to throw to Coates.

Crumpler as a blocking TE would be fine and anything else is an added bonus.

he was a great receiver in ATL
he went to Tennessee and learned how to block and has said he actually likes to block now
i would love to have him as our #1 TE

Crumpler as a blocking TE would be fine and anything else is an added bonus.
The bolded part from Rapaport's blog is the bonus :

"An NFL personnel guy who has worked with Crumpler described him as “mainly a blocker at this point. Excellent leader/locker room guy.”"

It's great that he can crumple algae.

How about crumpling defensive ends?

he might not be as good as he was in ATL, but he still is a good TE. Pair him with a TE from the draft and i think we would be just fine

Crumpler was great running those seam routes 2003 - 2006 for the Falcons, but that appears to be a thing of the past. Considering how well Tennessee has run the ball the last two years, he may not be a bad option as a blocking tight end now - even if the only way he'll ever get open to catch a pass now is because the opposing defense chooses to completely ignore him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back