PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TC Practice on 8/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamanai

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Here are some impressions from Camp today:

The team did extensive work on punt protection schemes to start practice...(zzzzz!). Also, there were a lot of running plays...with minimal contact. So it was hard to get a read on a lot of things. Some 7-on-7 drills. Forgive my ramblings, but here are a few things about practice that did standout:

Brady - totally crisp all day.
Cassell - easily next best, actually looked decent/good for a change
O'Connell - not very good, throws off, poor decisions
Gutierrez - terrible. Threw into coverage a few times and was picked on back-to-back plays.

Chad Jackson had an "up" day catching the ball. Don't recall any drops. Brady connected with him on a bomb where the ball was a little underthrown, but Jackson came back, fought for it, won and waltzed in for a score. Not sure who he beat. Despite his obvious speed, it seems like the team is running a lot of slants and screens for him.

Moss has about the softest pass catching hands you'll ever see. Brady (or Cassell) would be rifling sideline passes to receivers and you'd hear a slap as the ball hit the WRs hands. Not with Moss - the ball was silently enveloped into his mitts. Looks effortless too.

Ventrone was playing almost everywhere and looked pretty good. I think he makes the team somehow. Like the other rookies, Slater didn't do much good or bad.

Dave Thomas has great hands - he'll definitely help this team.

Rookies were extremely quiet, IMO. Didn't see Mayo do much - he wasn't with the first unit most of the day. Wheatly almost had a pick, but it was a tough play. My first look at Bo Ruud. Not like I imagined. He's tall and thin - I pictured him to be more of a fireplug ILB. Definitely needs a year with the weights. He's only been practicing a short while, so I think the coaches are giving him extra grief to catch up. On one play, Ruud must have missed his assignment or did not know the play. I think it was Dan Pees who sarcastically yelled: "Yup. Bo Ruud, Mr. Scholastic All-American." Guyton got chewed out by BB on something - I think he failed to turn a play inside. Not sure though. Saw Crable at both OLB spots.

Seemed like the defense was running a lot of 4-3 today. Maybe to get Jarvis some action?

Sorry to say this but Bruschi looked pretty bad today. A couple of times he was burnt in coverage. I wonder if teams will be targeting him? I saw Vrabel playing some ILB with the first team on one series. Hobson was hardly on the field on anything significant. In fact, a lot of guys rotating in at ILB.

It appeared that the top punt gunners were: Chad Jackson, Spann, Slater and Wheatly.

Both kickers looking good.

I cannot remember much else right now...

good report man lots of info..

Great stuff and great, great news on Chad Jackson on the TD hookup with Tom, I'm really hoping this is what gets him going.

Thank you sir.

Thanks, encouraging news about young guys except for Gutz and I wonder why Mrs B didn't see the same performance from Bruschi? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes