PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TC afternoon session 8/10 observations: Pats and Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said in some other thread, I wouldn't read much into the defense getting torn up. Training camp favors offensive players heavily. It's pretty hard to play defense when you're basically told to lay off the pressure and hitting. If we get torched Thursday night - then I'll start worrying.

I mean good lord, even guys like Rod Owens sound like badasses right now.

Plus joint practices are going to bring out more "negative" reporting, if you even want to call it that. When the Patriots' offense torches the Patriots' defense, we only tend to hear and see the details about how good the offense was. When the Saints torch the Patriots' defense, we hear the side that generally isn't talked about.

Last edited:
The Connolly issue worries me most. I dont want to see Brady on his back all night Thurs

Im very concerned about the OL as things stand

Great writeup. Thanks!

I have a theory about the umpire -- the rule change says something about doing it the old way the last two minutes of the half.

I've been looking forward to this report all day.

I've been really excited about the development of this team. My expectations are now tempered. I know, I know, it's very early still.

I think this is what EVERY Patriots fan's mentality should be, honestly. We all need to realize that this isn't the same top-tier team of last decade. This is a young team that will continue to go through some of the same (and different) growing pains that they experienced last season. Whenever someone says that this is an 8-8 or 9-7 team, the initial reaction is to get upset and call that person a mediot (or whatever else I've seen in recent weeks). However, the fact is that the players on this team have a lot to learn.

That's why I said in another thread that I thought BB agreed to do the joint practices with the Saints and Falcons after not having done one in a very long time. He knows the team is young and needs to learn a lot very quickly. This is about preparing the team for what they will face week in and week out, even from teams that are considered bottom-level. This learning experience will be invaluable.

Situational football:

Was surprised to see the umpire in his old position, in the defensive backfield, rather than in his new position (per new rule changes for 2010). That really befuddled me- if anyone knows why this happened, please clarify. I have no idea what purpose this serves.

Was this during the 2 minute drill? I guess its to not hinder the offense when in no huddle chasing the game.

The change will be in effect for all offensive plays, except for the final two minutes of the second and fourth quarters, and figures to have a major impact on teams like the Patriots and Colts, slowing them down.

Change will affect Pats no-huddle - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Last edited:
One thought on the defense is that we're not (I don't think) seeing jams and things like McGowan's TE death attack can't play out in practice.

This report doesn't worry me. It makes think of the weeks ahead that our boys will be doing that little bit extra an over-confident group may not be.

Great report, accurately expresses the feel and the situation. :rocker:
I might again add that in one early 11 on 11 series Brees threw to TE David Thomas either 4 or 5 times in a row, all completions. WTF? The Pats eventually developed decent pressure on Brees. And yes, Brees looks like he belongs anywhere in the mix of the top 3 QBs in the game. That good. Always liked the guy; supposedly he has an insane work and study ethic. Amazing how all the consistently top QBs share that attribute.

I was surprised at the Pats offensive misques, the most blatant being Welker quiting on a long route that woulda, coulda, shoulda been a TD. Contract issues? :) Missed that it was H who missed his block in the 7 on 7 that got Brady stripped. Brady's Mom needs to speak to him about his launguage, easily heard in the stands. :eek:

Gost needs to work his onside kicks. They gotta go 10 yards. Otherwise, the young Pats ST guys are not filling their lanes. Asses will be kicked and names taken.

I could not agree more with the important observation that this nascent team really benefits from these scrimmage sessions, especially against the SB champs. Kudos to both orgs and their obvious professionalism.

I have to say that in all the years, watching this intriguing session was the best training camp experience.

Great stuff. Professional reporters please take note: this is how it's done.

Great write-up, Patspsycho. I appreciate the time and effort you put in on it. Thanks.

Great writeup.

Hey -- a quick question, very slightly off-topic but not worth another thread: Does anyone know when the public practices end? I saw this info early on but can't find it, even after drilling through the patriots.com site.

Also, I keep seeing speculation that some players (Schobel, for example) are waiting until the 2-a-days end to join teams; anyone know when this is?

I'm not worried about getting beat by the Super Bowl champs in TC either. In fact, like others have mentioned, it's probably a good thing. An early embarrassment can sometimes be the spark that a team needs to gel and get their act together.

Not saying this team had an attitude problem or anything, just that a kick in a** can be a positive in the preseason.

Perhaps the ket point is you have to be prepared to score 30 points against the Saints if you hope to win.

It will not be realistic to expect any defense will hold them to 3 points 150 yards total offense. Same for any elite offense.

I definitely would have liked to see some more success in certain situations but I wasn't so discouraged. I saw a team better than 10-6. On individual levels up and down the field I think I saw a team that hung with the best in the game on the practice field and like you said they got some good work in that was likely better one preseason game.

Indeed. I would also note the PFW guys didn't sound nearly as pessimistic.

Nice writeup, though.

One thing I've noticed is I don't think I have read a single thing written at all about Mayo in any writeup so far.

I take it the guy is still alive? McKenzie news has died down a bit, as well.

Excellent write-up! thanks a lot for taking the time to write down so much in details. MUCH APPRECIATED!!

I think detailed camp reports whether by media or fans while awesome have to be viewed in the context of what the teams and coaches are actually looking for or trying to accomplish. Remember, these are scripted sessions with no live tackling and the QB's are off limits and aside from the occasional selfish player looking to make an impression, nobody is trying to hurt anybody. Don't fall back into the Matt Cassel couldn't move this team to save his soul and we saw that in pre season trap. Sometimes players are even being set up to fail just to see how they react going forward.

Belichick puts it in perspective:

“We saw a lot of things from the Saints that we haven’t seen,” Belichick said. “We did a lot of things and they did a lot of things for us to adjust to. We can walk-through it and talk to them, but when someone hurts you with it, you make those changes. That part of it was great. Sean (Payton) and DC Gregg Williams, that whole staff does a terrific job with that whole team, so it was really good work all the way around. Our players responded well. … There was no better preparation for the game, and we’ve seen a lot. It’s been a great learning experience for our football team.”

“There were things that I don’t think we would’ve been ready for two days ago that we’re ready for now,” he concluded. “That’s pretty beneficial.”

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive An early morning wake-up call from Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who calls yesterday’s work some of the most productive his team’s had

One thing I've noticed is I don't think I have read a single thing written at all about Mayo in any writeup so far.

I take it the guy is still alive? McKenzie news has died down a bit, as well.

Funny thing about Mayo yestarday. Unless my ears failed me, after one play where the LBs shredded the NO OL and made a great play on Brees as the D left the field one of the coaches yelled to Mayo, "Show some enthusiasm Mayo! You (guys) just made a big play!"

Counterintuitive to my image of Mayo.

Funny thing about Mayo yestarday. Unless my ears failed me, after one play where the LBs shredded the NO OL and made a great play on Brees as the D left the field one of the coaches yelled to Mayo, "Show some enthusiasm Mayo! You (guys) just made a big play!"

Counterintuitive to my image of Mayo.

I think there is a difference between intensity and enthusiasm. Mayo is intense and driven and working hard at becoming a vocal leader. Calling for enthusiasm here at times seems almost counter intuitive. But I recall BB doing just that a couple of years ago because he apparently felt the team was a little to tight and robotic, and he encouraged them to do a little celebrating (preferably with teamates) to lighten the mood (because you should still enjoy playing the game in the process of playing it right). You need to find that balance between confident and arrogant that allows for remaining focused without becoming mentally ground down in the process. I know Bill has mixed emotions about the term swagger, he says swagger never won a thing.

Great report, accurately expresses the feel and the situation. :rocker:
I might again add that in one early 11 on 11 series Brees threw to TE David Thomas either 4 or 5 times in a row, all completions. WTF? The Pats eventually developed decent pressure on Brees.

They went to dime and had Meriweather spy on Thomas. That stopped the completions.

I could not agree more with the important observation that this nascent team really benefits from these scrimmage sessions, especially against the SB champs. Kudos to both orgs and their obvious professionalism.

I have to say that in all the years, watching this intriguing session was the best training camp experience.

I agree. It was the best camp session I ever saw. BB has said it was one of the most productive practices of his coaching career.

Belichick loves joint practice with Saints - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I've heard to the opposite, that hes been throwing the quintessential NFL routes; 15 yard outs, passes over the middle to our new TE's. I think the concern that Brady has his horse blinders on because of last year is unjustified. I think now he has faith in these new receivers and we'll see them appear for us this year; in what quantity remains to be seen. That said I hope Psycho can chime in and tell us what % of his throws seem to be 'bombs' to Moss.

Yes he is spreading the field much more now. He does not hesitate when throwing to Tate or Hernandez. Sometimes they are his first reads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back