PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TC #2 Observations and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patspsycho

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Went to the afternoon session- got there late and had to leave early so did not observe much. The place was jam packed.. as jammed as I can ever remember it. This isn’t a true TC because not all the components are in place- still missing a few key players. So I’ll just throw in my bits; odds and ends.

Supposedly a no-pads no-contact practice, but they were really pushing it. I bet if any NFL officials were there, fines would be coming. I noticed they wore lacrosse pads instead of football pads.

Welker doesn’t even have a brace on- just a testament to his mental toughness. Brady has a sleeve on.

We have an embarrassment of riches at TE. Lee Smith is an absolute brute. He is a complete specimen. He has all the tools- but there’s another TE that’s a monster, Will Yeatman, an UDFA. He kept catching my eyes. Just a monster with speed, good hands, and power. Not sure if there is even a highlight reel of him out there, but he really handles himself well at this level.

Good to see Bodden and Cunningham at 100%. Moore is really becoming entrenched in this D. He was putting in a good number of reps at 1st string and is all over the field. Fletcher is shooting up the depth chart- I saw him call plays a few times. At this point I would say he is now Mayo’s backup, and if Mayo goes down, I think Fletcher will be the mike not Guyton. They were working a lot on zone coverage today and it seems a lot more tighter, more crisp than it was last year. You could tell there was heavy emphasis on this, especially over the flat.

Wright is back and looks good.

I have my eyes on Markell Carter; he was in the right place at the right time, all the time. Did not need to be told twice what to do. I think he will tough to cut from the roster.

On offense, a lot of route running- very repetitive. Focus on alignment and correct route adjustment. One thing I saw and appreciated was that Brady is making a very conspicuous attempt to get on the same page as Price. Price was consistently yelled at- he was trying hard to pick up on all the cues and tell (helmet tap) that Brady is infamous for in terms of post-snap coverage based route modification. Price has some ground to cover before he catches up- but seems to be trying very hard. In one snap, he executed beautifully on a 6 which he correctly did not dig (man to zone) but deeped in the zone hole underneath the safeties and snagged a long pass from Brady.

It was good to see Brady at his usual intolerant belligerent self (“F---king come on!”).

Spikes tweaked his left hamstring dropping back into coverage- stayed in for one more play then left for good. Did not appear serious.

Many of you will be happy to know that camp fodder favorites Farnham and Ross Ventura are back.

Camp kicker Koepplin has a really great leg- he really booms the ball. I am afraid that we will lose him to another team once we trim roster.

Ridley looks good- soft hands, crisp route. He is 3rd in depth. Vereen is 4th. Ridley dropped a few passes in scrimmage, but it was probably rookie jitters, I think he should be fine after he settles in.

Based on what I’ve seen, and the depth chart printed and handed out to the public, my judgment is that:

Fred Taylor and Nick Kaczur are absolutely gone.

Crumpler, Deaderick, and Ron Brace are on the fence.

For those of you happy that Brady cut his hair- he only cut the back end of it.

But there is a far more serious problem. Edelman’s hairdo is downright ridiculous. He’s long gone- beyond cure. He’s gone Fabio. If I took a picture, my iphone would never forgive me. So that’s a new subject to start arguing about.

On vacation now so will not be attending another camp until later next week.

Went to the afternoon session- got there late and had to leave early so did not observe much. The place was jam packed.. as jammed as I can ever remember it. This isn’t a true TC because not all the components are in place- still missing a few key players. So I’ll just throw in my bits; odds and ends.

Supposedly a no-pads no-contact practice, but they were really pushing it. I bet if any NFL officials were there, fines would be coming. I noticed they wore lacrosse pads instead of football pads.

Welker doesn’t even have a brace on- just a testament to his mental toughness. Brady has a sleeve on.

We have an embarrassment of riches at TE. Lee Smith is an absolute brute. He is a complete specimen. He has all the tools- but there’s another TE that’s a monster, Will Yeatman, an UDFA. He kept catching my eyes. Just a monster with speed, good hands, and power. Not sure if there is even a highlight reel of him out there, but he really handles himself well at this level.

Good to see Bodden and Cunningham at 100%. Moore is really becoming entrenched in this D. He was putting in a good number of reps at 1st string and is all over the field. Fletcher is shooting up the depth chart- I saw him call plays a few times. At this point I would say he is now Mayo’s backup, and if Mayo goes down, I think Fletcher will be the mike not Guyton. They were working a lot on zone coverage today and it seems a lot more tighter, more crisp than it was last year. You could tell there was heavy emphasis on this, especially over the flat.

I have my eyes on Markell Carter; he was in the right place at the right time, all the time. Did not need to be told twice what to do. I think he will tough to cut from the roster.

On offense, a lot of route running- very repetitive. Focus on alignment and correct route adjustment. One thing I saw and appreciated was that Brady is making a very conspicuous attempt to get on the same page as Price. Price was consistently yelled at- he was trying hard to pick up on all the cues and tell (helmet tap) that Brady is infamous for in terms of post-snap coverage based route modification. Price has some ground to cover before he catches up- but seems to be trying very hard. In one snap, he executed beautifully on a 6 which he correctly did not dig (man to zone) but deeped in the zone hole underneath the safeties and snagged a long pass from Brady.

It was good to see Brady at his usual intolerant belligerent self (“F---king come on!”).

Spikes tweaked his left hamstring dropping back into coverage- stayed in for one more play then left for good. Did not appear serious.

Many of you will be happy to know that camp fodder favorites Farnham and Ross Ventura are back.

Camp kicker Koepplin has a really great leg- he really booms the ball. I am afraid that we will lose him to another team once we trim roster.

Ridley looks good- soft hands, crisp route. He is 3rd in depth. Vereen is 4th. Ridley dropped a few passes in scrimmage, but it was probably rookie jitters, I think he should be fine after he settles in.

Based on what I’ve seen, and the depth chart printed and handed out to the public, my judgment is that:

But there is a far more serious problem. Edelman’s hairdo is downright ridiculous. He’s long gone- beyond cure. He’s gone Fabio. If I took a picture, my iphone would never forgive me. So that’s a new subject to start arguing about.

Thank you so much for the report. Good Stuff!! :rocker:

Thanks for this Patspsycho

I'm surprised you say Crumpler is on the fence. I really thought that he'd be around to teach Smith. Brace is somewhat of a surprise especially since he played well for awhile last year.

Yes, thank you. I think Crumpler will be around atleast one more year, all the young TEs need a veteran showing them the ropes. One year isn't enough for the younglings.

Last edited:
IMG_0060--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

I know it's only been one day, but what receivers do you think are on the fence now with the addition of 85? Branch? Tate? Price? Edelman? None of them?

Thanks for the report. Did you notice anything about how Hernandez was moving?

Vereen is below Ridley in the depth?

I hope BB see's this truth and values the cheaper player that is the same type as Crump and far younger.

The more i've read about Ridley the more I like.

Re Crumpler. Hes still healing right?

Thanks for the report Patspsyhco. Hope you are wrong about Crumpler, but understand the TE depth they now have. Hopefully he will rise to the challenge of TC and make people forget about the Jets dropsie.

Last edited:
thanks, patspsycho.

like the majority of your posts, very informative.

enjoy your vacation, and i shall be looking forward to more of your camp observations to come over the next several weeks. :rocker:

Sounds good on Ridley. Although, Reiss mentioned that he had a pair of drops. meh.

Great post though.

Yes, thank you. I think Crumpler will be around atleast one more year, all the young TEs need a veteran showing them the ropes. One year isn't enough for the younglings.

Looks like the young toolsy Lee will put up a great fight:) and if it is close the rookie will be kept

Thanks again for another informative and timely post on Training Camp! There's just no way I can get down there this year (and looking like no games either) and so these are wonderful for me to read.

V/R

My argument is this: why squeeze one more year out of a vet at the expense of losing what might be an elite TE with his entire career ahead of him?

Crumpler had all of last season to set an example and to teach the ins and outs of being a professional TE. Honestly what would another year do?

Gronk has proven himself very capable and has kept his nose clean.

We already have a fully stocked RB corp, WR corp, DL, etc. and I still think we will go with 4 TE.

I'm surprised you say Crumpler is on the fence. I really thought that he'd be around to teach Smith. Brace is somewhat of a surprise especially since he played well for awhile last year.

Brace's attitude does not seem to be there.

Who's the mucking foron who one-starred this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back