PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TB's role in the rookie WR development

yukon cornelius

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
am I the only one who was a little turned off by his behavior last night?

I get his frustration, and I get that he's always been fiery and unabashed in holding players accountable

at the same time, he's got Edle-dude and 3 rookies in the line up last night (granted Boyce was essentially a DNP).

Yeah, there were blown routes, dropped balls, but does he really want to revisit the game film of his performances his first couple years in the league?

Not sure what I was seeing last night was leadership and holding teammates to a high standard, or entitled petulance

I expect more out of him in this situation; I am a-ok with emotion and leadership, but not sure we aren't just seeing a little sense of spoiled frustration seep in.

He needs to take a role in the development of the kids, and at least in-game I'm not sure we're seeing it

It did not look good but I don't know how it affects the rookies or anyone else. At least he said after the game he needs to control that **** more. I'm sure it's frustrating for him to go from a top of the line passing offense to what was on display last night. But there's no need for the temper tantrums, in my opinion, as little as that matters.

Was thinking the same thing this morning, but have been too busy to post something.

His job is to behave in a manner that will optimize teaching, development, and motivation. I was left thinking that his highly expressed frustration may not have been the best choice in that regard, and wondering how intentional he was being. What's the best way to influence the rookie receivers? Not at all convinced that was it. If not, then the Jets' defensive coaches won the mind battle with him.

Tom is an emotionally charged guy. This drive is one of the reasons he is a winner and one of the reasons he can inspire those around him. He gives both positive and negative reinforcement, as any real leader should. These rookies need to learn what they do right and what they do wrong and Tom needs to be the one to tell them.

If he goes a little overboard at times, you have to remember the stress he is under to pull this offense along completely alone. I'm sure these guys are far more resilient than you are giving them credit for. And at the end of the day, they know Tom wants the best for them and the team as a whole.

I might have to put this picture in my sig. It is so easy to forget the nice things he does in order to berate him for getting frustrated at times.

CXwkeLN.jpg

From BB himself:

Q: Tom Brady’s irritation was pretty obvious. Is there a point where a player can be counterproductive in his gestures to the team?

Belichick: I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him.

my take is the kids are gripping.....they are thinking, and pressing.....that's never good

i like the brady went back to dobson after a drop.....that show's confidence

just want to see him keep his emotions more in check.....

I found it a little Manning-eske (and therefore.... off-putting) myself. I get the frustration, but it came off as a little too temper-tantrumy for my liking. Don't get me wrong, TFB is still the man for me, but he didn't do anything to to quiet the haters last night.

Let's face it, if that was Peyton Manning...... We'd all be goofing on him today and re-posting the classic MANNING FACE video.

I think Tom's been a little spoiled since 2007 with fairly dependable receivers. He's gonna have to dig down to 2006 a bit and prove to everyone exactly why he is the GOAT..... He's can win with great receivers, poor ones, and even little baby ones. As frustrating as this is to watch, I think that this might be exactly what he needs.

am I the only one who thinks every thread is more or less the same?

Brady is a perfectionist and thats why he is a winner. Brady is never satisfied. Hes not satisfied with 3 rings. Thats not good enough. Peyton Manning is the same and he too has made his displeasure known on the battlefield.

I surmise that Brady and his WRs have gone over all the coverages and adjustments in practice and that it appeared that Brady was getting through to the rookies. Thats whats likely the frustrating part.

Edelman went through it. Thompkins showed signs of life last night after a miserable performance in Buffalo. Dobson will learn too.

It crossed my mind that some of TFB's frustration may have been a result of his own mistakes. Not all of them mind you, but maybe a few.

Brady is a perfectionist and thats why he is a winner. Brady is never satisfied. Hes not satisfied with 3 rings. Thats not good enough. Peyton Manning is the same and he too has made his displeasure known on the battlefield.

I surmise that Brady and his WRs have gone over all the coverages and adjustments in practice and that it appeared that Brady was getting through to the rookies. Thats whats likely the frustrating part.

Edelman went through it. Thompkins showed signs of life last night after a miserable performance in Buffalo. Dobson will learn too.

agreed

i just can't help but think allowing his frustrations to come to the surface so visibly is effecting not only the WR's performance, but his own as well

BB was crying like a whiney little you know what last night....hey Tom Wes Welker ain't coming through that door. Hey Tom you might not put up Peyton or Brees number early on but the end justify the means. I wasn't happy with his dispostion last night or even last week at times he looked scared. Please Brady don't morph into Drew Bledsoe some of those off your back foot throws were mind numbing.

Rewind to the points in the game where a JETS receiver screwed up, and take a look at Geno's are-you-kidding-me expressions. They were ten times bigger than Brady's.

I thought Brady was trying his damnedest not to bite his receivers' heads off, mostly successfully, but the smoke rising from the top of his skull gave him away. :)

Not sure what I was seeing last night was leadership and holding teammates to a high standard, or entitled petulance
Brady shouldn't be yelling at Dobson, he should be yelling at Belichick. Aaron Dobson is what he is: a 2nd round draft pick who is literally seeing his first NFL action.

Don't get mad at Dobson for his limitations. Get mad at Belichick for making Aaron Dobson this team's primary wide out.

Brady shouldn't be yelling at Dobson, he should be yelling at Belichick. Aaron Dobson is what he is: a 2nd round draft pick who is literally seeing his first NFL action.

Don't get mad at Dobson for his limitations. Get mad at Belichick for making Aaron Dobson this team's primary wide out.

Great Points 2012 was a Great year to make a splash in the WR pool guys like Reggie Wayne - VJack and others were available we came away with Pansy Lloyd.:mad:

Rewind to the points in the game where a JETS receiver screwed up, and take a look at Geno's are-you-kidding-me expressions. They were ten times bigger than Brady's.
You must have had your Patriots-colored glasses on, or been watching a different game. I'm sympathetic to Brady's situation, but Geno Smith didn't display anywhere near the same amount of exasperation as Brady. He certainly didn't do anything like Brady on the field yelling at one of his own.

He's not a robot...

How many times can you go to a huddle and say "Come on guy's, we can do this, Championship drive" I'm sure after the 30th huddle most people would snap. Miscue, drop, drop punt rinse repeat....

This ******** new age society believes anger is a deadly sin. I said this last night, I wish our whole team was as fired up as TB we'd be unstoppable...

Yes he should.

Dobson has been through passing camp, training camp and the WRs go over coverages and adjustments every week at practice and in the film room.

Branch came in and picked up the offense and he was a 2nd round pick. Lots of rookies do across the NFL.

If you think Brady was yelling, wait till they run the film an BB gets to break it down. Now that is when their butt is really gonna hurt. They don't give out ribbons for f'ups once you leave school. Reality is, if you practice something over and over and over and over, then f'up what you practiced, your asking for trouble. No "good try" medals in real life.

Yes he should.

Dobson has been through passing camp, training camp and the WRs go over coverages and adjustments every week at practice and in the film room.

Branch came in and picked up the offense and he was a 2nd round pick. Lots of rookies do across the NFL.
Your memory is faulty, Brnach did not show up and start producing at the level of a primary target on day 1. He started 7 games (played in 13), had 489 yards and 2 touchdowns in his rookie season. He was a distant #3 on the depth chart that entire year. Dobson is very much on pace to have a season like that.

Dobson was playing his very first game as a professional. Absolutely no amount of passing camp, training camp, or coaches instruction can provide the experience you get from being under real fire. He is what he is. It is unreasonable and unfair to expect anything more.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back