PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TBC, Beisel or Claridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
As of now, (assuming not vet pick-up), what's your guess as to who benefits the most by Willie's departure.

Beisel.

(TBC if he fails)

You know what I agree. I think Vrabel will be getting reps at both ILB and OLB again this training camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
TBC doesn't compete for an ILB spot. The battle I believe is
between Claridge and Beisel if there is a battle .... I think Beisel
will be starting next to Bru. But I don't think that means Claridge
will get cut or TCB will be cut ... all three will probably make it.

JR4 said:
TBC doesn't compete for an ILB spot. The battle I believe is
between Claridge and Beisel if there is a battle .... I think Beisel
will be starting next to Bru. But I don't think that means Claridge
will get cut or TCB will be cut ... all three will probably make it.

To clarify, I think BB has 2 options.

OPTION A

Colvin, Bruschi, Beisel/Claridge, Vrabel

OPTION B

Colvin, Bruschi, Vrabel, TBC

IMHO, that's how I see it working right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
PATRIOTS-80 said:

OPTION A

OPTION B

...........................I agree

Of the Lb's, Beisel will get the most time, at first anyway.

But I think we'll see much more 4-3 action - Seymour and Wilfork inside with Warren and Green/Hill outside - because that is where the strength lies with the team as it stands. This lineup would give the Pats a ball busting inside pass rush/disruption, with strong anchors on the edges. So I say that Green and Hill benefit from McGinest's absence the most.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Of the Lb's, Beisel will get the most time, at first anyway.

But I think we'll see much more 4-3 action - Seymour and Wilfork inside with Warren and Green/Hill outside - because that is where the strength lies with the team as it stands. This lineup would give the Pats a ball busting inside pass rush/disruption, with strong anchors on the edges. So I say that Green and Hill benefit from McGinest's absence the most.

No, it doesn't. People don't understand that personnel don't interchange easily between a 4-3 and 3-4. They require totally different skillsets of players which, quite frankly, the Patriots don't have.

Tedy Bruschi is not nearly fast enough to play MLB in the 4-3. He'd be a OLB.

Mike Vrabel would likely move down to DE in a 4-3.

Neither Green nor Warren are light and quick enough to play a pass rushing DE. The better/best DEs in the league are in the 230 (Mathis) to 260 range (Freeney, Rice). Warren is 307. Hill is 300. Both are more run-stuffing guys than anything.

Wilfork and Seymour would be a nice combination inside, but they're still a bit on the big side.

The entire Patriot front 7 is built for the 3-4. They'd be simply too big and too slow to be an effective 4-3.

Last edited:
A little worried about Claridge

Watched his interview with the media on PVN (patriots.com), and there was something in it that left me a little concerned about Ryan. He said all the right things, but he seemed a bit offhand and unfocused, his body language in the tape of him on the field was casual and distracted, the reports are that he's put on weight this offseason, but in the video he looked soft around the face and neck... looked more like beer weight to me.

After losing his brother who was clearly a role model to him, I'm wondering if he's a little too unfocused to come in and win a starting role with the team.

Anyone else pick up on that?

You can only make that assumption when you talk with a person, not just by looking at his appearance.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
I can see where you might feel the Pats might go that way. But, something for your consideration:

What defense the Patriots use is determined by what Belichick thinks, with all of his years of experience and astute analysis, is the most effective defense for the particular opposing team and game situation. Period. Period. Period.

So, to determine what Belichick thinks is the most effective defense for a particular opposing team and game situation, you simply have to observe what he uses.

It turns out, with observation, that the preponderance of the time, he feels that the 3-4 is the most effective.

So the answer to your thought is that it is most very likely that he will continue to use the 3-4 this year for the majority of the plays - because he apparently feels it is the most effective.

Any observation of how Belichick organizes a team will quickly convince you that he coaches players to be effective in the schemes that he feels are the most effective. He doesn't tailor schemes to fit the players - he tailors players to fit the scheme. It is also very obvious and has been commented on many times in many threads that he drafts for coachable talent and flexible skills so that he has the kind of players that can be tailored to fit whatever schemes he wants to implement.

To phrase it a different way, no matter what particular players 'happen' to be on the roster, that will NOT determine what defensive scheme he uses.

To go along with that perspective, if you are really interested in how Belichick crafts and uses various defensive schemes, you have to observe that, while the 3-4 is used the majority of the downs, it is not at all uncommon to see a 4-3 and, at times, even such schemes as a 2-5 or even one where there are no down linemen. Also, I haven't seen it commented on (altho I may have just missed it), that if you observe the downs where there are 3 down linemen, there is not just one vanilla 3 DL set - you will see the 3 DL in various alignments versus the OL. One example - the NT is not always over the center but may be shifted over so that you end up with a 'strong' side and a 'weak' side of the DL.

Last edited:
PATRIOTS-80 said:

OPTION A

OPTION B

yes..I agree...but with these longshot possibilities..maybe later in the season...Beisel/Claridge/Alexander/Gardner... TBC/Mincey...LONGER shots, but one never knows...

Re: A little worried about Claridge

rookBoston said:
Watched his interview with the media on PVN (patriots.com), and there was something in it that left me a little concerned about Ryan. He said all the right things, but he seemed a bit offhand and unfocused, his body language in the tape of him on the field was casual and distracted, the reports are that he's put on weight this offseason, but in the video he looked soft around the face and neck... looked more like beer weight to me.

After losing his brother who was clearly a role model to him, I'm wondering if he's a little too unfocused to come in and win a starting role with the team.

wow Rook Boston, what do you got ESP? LOL

Beisel and TBC win over Claridge.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
As of now, (assuming not vet pick-up), what's your guess as to who benefits the most by Willie's departure.

The opposition.:mad:

Last edited:
I'm going out on a limb here and say that Claridge will not benefit.

PATSNUTme said:
I'm going out on a limb here and say that Claridge will not benefit.

You daring bastard...;)

Re: A little worried about Claridge

rookBoston said:

Waitaminnit!
I wasn't born last night.

You said this a half-hour before noon, Eastern time, on Thursday?

pats1 said:
No, it doesn't. People don't understand that personnel don't interchange easily between a 4-3 and 3-4. They require totally different skillsets of players which, quite frankly, the Patriots don't have.

Tedy Bruschi is not nearly fast enough to play MLB in the 4-3. He'd be a OLB.

Mike Vrabel would likely move down to DE in a 4-3.

Neither Green nor Warren are light and quick enough to play a pass rushing DE. The better/best DEs in the league are in the 230 (Mathis) to 260 range (Freeney, Rice). Warren is 307. Hill is 300. Both are more run-stuffing guys than anything.

Wilfork and Seymour would be a nice combination inside, but they're still a bit on the big side.

The entire Patriot front 7 is built for the 3-4. They'd be simply too big and too slow to be an effective 4-3.

Thanks. Saved me posting that.

RayClay said:
The opposition.:mad:

O.K. Ray, I don't got clue why you posted that. This is an old thread (from June I think) brought up the board by me for amusement because the question at the time was ------ from the LB that our currently on our team, who will benefit from Willie's departure? (Obviously, it won't be Claridge).

Now if your post has to do with your LB panicked thread, sure I wouldn't cry if we got another LB. But its not opening day, other teams rosters haven't cut down to 53 yet. And as of now, one has to face that TBC and Eric Alexander are the primary back-ups. (Maybe Chad Brown as an OLB). We also got some developmental rookies. If we got a LB acquistion after the 53 cutdown, while he sits on the bench as a back-up he'll learn the playbook.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back