PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taylor Price

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want to give 3 years for the receivers, despite having essentially nothing on Price and not having anything particularly heartening on Tate (24 catches is not lighting the world on fire, after all).
David Givens only caught 9 receptions in his first full year with the New England Patriots. Next year, the Patriots drafted in the second round Bethel Johnson. Aside from his kick return abilities, how did Bethel Johnson work out? Drafting wide receivers in the first half of the second round have not worked out that well for the New England Patriots (Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson).

You want to ignore the entire injury history of Branch, as well.
You are the one sounding the alarm on Deion Branch's knees. I don't see mass hysteria on this message board about Deion Branch's health.

However, you want to count Light out after just one more season, despite the fact that he was the first LT alternate to the Pro Bowl and has played all 16 games in 6 of his 9 seasons as an NFL player, and you completely discount the young O-linemen currently behind the starters.
Walter Jones was finished at the age of 33. Orlando Pace was finished at the age of 33, his last year with the Rams. There is a precedent when great left tackles completely lose it. Next season, Matt Light will turn 33 years old.

Aside from Vollmer and Connelly (playing at right guard), the rest of the backup offensive lineman currently on the New England Patriots roster are a bunch of stiffs. I'm more concerned about Kaczur's back since he is currently on injured reserve than Deion Branch who will be active in the 2010 AFC Divisional Playoffs.

Last edited:
David Givens only caught 9 receptions in his first full year with the New England Patriots. Next year, the Patriots drafted in the second round Bethel Johnson. Aside from his kick return abilities, how did Bethel Johnson work out? Drafting wide receivers in the first half of the second round have not worked out that well for the New England Patriots (Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson).

How is this relevant to my question?

You are the one sounding the alarm on Deion Branch's knees. I don't see mass hysteria on this message board about Deion Branch's health.

I never mentioned Branch's knees. I mentioned his injury history in general. Again, he's played a full season just once in his career. It would be foolish to ignore that.

Walter Jones was finished at the age of 33. Orlando Pace was finished at the age of 33, his last year with the Rams. There is a precedent when great left tackles completely lose it. Next season, Matt Light will turn 33 years old.

Walter Jones had to undergo microfracture surgery, then had to get scoped, and couldn't take anti-inflammatories because of a kidney issue. He retired after missing an entire season due to the injury and getting woefully out of NFL shape. Pace had shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum and a torn rotator cuff and followed that up with a stint on the IR due to a groin injury. He'd played only 8 games in 2006 and 1 game in 2007 prior to going to the Bears and having those new injuries.

There's no such pattern involved with Light.

Aside from Vollmer and Connelly (playing at right guard), the rest of the backup offensive lineman currently on the New England Patriots roster are a bunch of stiffs. I'm more concerned about Kaczur's back since he is currently on injured reserve than Deion Branch who will be active in the 2010 AFC Divisional Playoffs.

The O-linemen drafted low and in the league less than 3 years are definitely stiffs, but we have to wait a full 3 years in order to be fair to the wide receivers? Kind of a silly argument in context, given the history of O-linemen in New England. Stephen Neal is certainly grateful that you weren't in charge of personnel when he was in his early years. Come to think of it, Dan Connolly is thrilled, too, along with guys like Joe Andruzzi.

Last edited:
I'd say it takes longer to groom a OT than a WR......and servicable WR's can be found.....Pats also have Jenkins and Farnam on their PS....

If I had to take a guess, I think WR isn't a priority need with BB but with his aging OL, he may want to start finding pieces to that shortly.

He already started looking in last years draft but one of his projects for Dante got poached trying to get him onto the PS.....my guess is goes for a pick earlier in this coming draft and the kid makes the roster.....slide Vollmer over to LT when Light retires and have a RT ready to go ..... cheaper than signing a FA and younger also.....Need a backup/replacement for Koppen soon also...

Just pray they resign Mankins...:rocker:

How is this relevant to my question?
Drafting a wide receiver in the first two rounds is extremely risky business and the New England Patriots have far greater priorities than wide receiver in the first two rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft.

I never mentioned Branch's knees. I mentioned his injury history in general. Again, he's played a full season just once in his career. It would be foolish to ignore that.
The New England Patriots have invested two third round picks in consecutive years at the wide receiver position. I guess you have already given up on Tate and Price since you are hell bent on drafting another.

Walter Jones had to undergo microfracture surgery, then had to get scoped, and couldn't take anti-inflammatories because of a kidney issue. He retired after missing an entire season due to the injury and getting woefully out of NFL shape. Pace had shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum and a torn rotator cuff and followed that up with a stint on the IR due to a groin injury. He'd played only 8 games in 2006 and 1 game in 2007 prior to going to the Bears and having those new injuries.
Based upon your perception of the Purdue alumni, Matt Light is going play at a high level forever.

The O-linemen drafted low and in the league less than 3 years are definitely stiffs, but we have to wait a full 3 years in order to be fair to the wide receivers? Kind of a silly argument in context, given the history of O-linemen in New England. Stephen Neal is certainly grateful that you weren't in charge of personnel when he was in his early years. Come to think of it, Dan Connolly is thrilled, too, along with guys like Joe Andruzzi.
LeVoir was the draft class of 2006. In five seasons, he has done nothing and as a matter of fact has regressed. Ojinnaka was acquired as a backup insurance policy once Kaczur went down. Wendell is nothing more than a backup and has not shown he can be relied upon for sixteen games. Ohrnberger, in two seasons, has been active for only five games and has not shown he can relied upon for sixteen games. Funny how Brandon Tate has done more in second season with the New England Patriots coming off knee surgery than Ohrnberger, especially with the merry-go-round at offensive guard this season. As for the current New England Patriots offensive line:

Light - Second Round Draft Pick
Mankins - First Round Draft Pick
Koppen - Fifth Round Draft Pick
Connelly - Undrafted
Vollmer - Second Round Draft Pick

Guess which of the offensive line starters is by far the worst?

LeVoir was the draft class of 2006. In five seasons, he has done nothing and as a matter of fact has regressed. Ojinnaka was acquired as a backup insurance policy once Kaczur went down. Wendell is nothing more than a backup and has not shown he can be relied upon for sixteen games. Ohrnberger, in two seasons, has been active for only five games and has not shown he can relied upon for sixteen games. Funny how Brandon Tate has done more in second season with the New England Patriots coming off knee surgery than Ohrnberger, especially with the merry-go-round at offensive guard this season. As for the current New England Patriots offensive line:

Connelly - Undrafted

I'm betting your would have said that about Connoly at the start of the year too. I am not as down on our OL as you seem to be, Everyone when they have had their opportunity have been fine... not great... not poor but fine. Connoly had one shocker and was pulled (San Diego).

Now i think OL is probably a need in his draft but i think saying the people we have there cant do it or are stiffs is a bit much. Just like the people saying Tate or Price aren't good or are busts (which i have heard from many a poster until Price played last week)

Drafting a wide receiver in the first two rounds is extremely risky business and the New England Patriots have far greater priorities than wide receiver in the first two rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft.

Deion Branch was a second round pick. He's one of the reasons you're arguing against the notion of a WR. It's another flaw in your logic.

The New England Patriots have invested two third round picks in consecutive years at the wide receiver position. I guess you have already given up on Tate and Price since you are hell bent on drafting another.

I haven't given up on either. I just want a speed receiver brought in, because neither Tate nor Price has proven that they are capable of being a top 2 receiver.

Based upon your perception of the Purdue alumni, Matt Light is going play at a high level forever.

Now you're just being childish. You were the one who brought out the comparisons to Jones and Pace, not I. I simply noted how different the injury situations were.

Connelly - Undrafted

Ohrnberger has been active for 5 games in two seasons, including 2 games in his first year. Price has been active for 1 game in 1 season. I'm not sure you really want to use active games as your justification here.

Tate is nothing more than a backup/3rd-4th option right now, and has missed essentially half of his possible NFL games. I'm not sure you really want to go with that angle with Wendell.

Finally, Stephen Neal is the team's starting RG when healthy, and he's certainly not the team's worst o-lineman. Furthermore, noting that you'd want to bring in a lineman because of Neal's issues would be similar to my noting Branch's issues and wanting to bring in a receiver.

As I've said, you're welcome to your take. It's just that your take is not consistent or logical.

Last edited:
As for the current New England Patriots offensive line:

Connelly - Undrafted

I really don't know the answer :bricks:

This has become one of the dumbest threads I've ever read on any board

Your doubt has no merit. I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor was the only player not resigned. Morris has found a nice niche as the FB and a solid ST player. He is not complaining about his reduced role.

And I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them is back. They are alright players when healthy but they only play about 6 games a year. That's not gonna cut it. Do you want to end up like the Saints who have nobody healthy to run the ball at the end of the year once the big Tourney starts? I'd rather get a young guy in there now to develop behind BJGE.

Taylor Price showed some promise. So he could be a pretty good receiver for us down the road. He is no burner though. The Pats kind of lack a real deep threat unless you count Tate. Tate is probably the real question mark on the roster. The Pats could have had Mike Wallace instead of Tate or Jacoby Ford instead of Price. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Last edited:
Deion Branch was a second round pick. He's one of the reasons you're arguing against the notion of a WR. It's another flaw in your logic.
Deion Branch was the last pick in the second round unlike Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson. Also, the New England Patriots traded up in second round for both Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson.

I haven't given up on either. I just want a speed receiver brought in, because neither Tate nor Price has proven that they are capable of being a top 2 receiver.
David Givens didn't prove he was a top two receiver after his first year, as well.

Now you're just being childish. You were the one who brought out the comparisons to Jones and Pace, not I. I simply noted how different the injury situations were.
I would offer Matt Light a one year deal with a two year option.

Finally, Stephen Neal is the team's starting RG when healthy, and he's certainly not the team's worst o-lineman. Furthermore, noting that you'd want to bring in a lineman because of Neal's issues would be similar to my noting Branch's issues and wanting to bring in a receiver.
Stephen Neal since 2007 has missed the following number of games:

2007 - 8 Games
2008 - 5 Games
2009 - 4 Games
2010 - 8 Games

Besides, Stephen Neal turns 35 years of age during the 2011 NFL Season. I would like to see the New England Patriots expend a first or second round draft pick on his replacement, as was the case with Mankins for Andruzzi.

As I've said, you're welcome to your take. It's just that your take is not consistent or logical.
In my opinion, the wide receivers on 2010 roster for the New England Patriots do not need to be upgraded via the 2011 NFL Draft.

Last edited:
I'm betting your would have said that about Connoly at the start of the year too. I am not as down on our OL as you seem to be, Everyone when they have had their opportunity have been fine... not great... not poor but fine. Connoly had one shocker and was pulled (San Diego).
Connolly was a product of the 2005 NFL Draft. Do you really want to wait five years to develop an offensive lineman?

Dan Connolly, G for the New England Patriots at NFL.com

In my opinion, Connolly is a serviceable backup interior offensive lineman.

Connolly was a product of the 2005 NFL Draft. Do you really want to wait five years to develop an offensive lineman?

Dan Connolly, G for the New England Patriots at NFL.com

In my opinion, Connolly is a serviceable backup interior offensive lineman.

Or a serviceable starter like he has been this year. You assuming that the 2 behind him who once again have been fine in the time they have received won't also be serviceable starters. There is no evidence to the contrary as when they have been put in they have done a "fine" job. No one is mistaking them for mankins and i would rather keep him. But saying that all we have is serviceable backups i n my opinion is just contrary to the evidence that this season has put forward.

Or a serviceable starter like he has been this year. You assuming that the 2 behind him who once again have been fine in the time they have received won't also be serviceable starters. There is no evidence to the contrary as when they have been put in they have done a "fine" job. No one is mistaking them for mankins and i would rather keep him. But saying that all we have is serviceable backups i n my opinion is just contrary to the evidence that this season has put forward.
Connolly is a valuable backup interior offensive lineman similar to Hochstein during his time with the New England Patriots. However as was the case in 2005, the New England Patriots upgraded the offensive line by drafting Mankins and Kaczur in the first and third rounds, respectively. I hope the New England Patriots make a similar maneuver in the 2011 NFL Draft to replace Stephen Neal and to develop a franchise left or right offensive tackle, depending upon which side of the offensive line Vollmer will eventually reside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back