PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taylor Price vs Brandon Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've heard about Tate as far as route running, production in college while healthy, work ethic, etc... I feel he is going to be a starting wideout for us one day. Would be great if that day comes in 2011 when Moss likely leaves.

hope i don't get slammed for this, but just for an FYI ESPN Fantasy has Price with 3X's as much production as Tate this year.

It's easy to forget or count guys out who are coming off injuries. For some reason, i keep thinking Tate is a small wr, but he's 6'1" 195lbs, not huge, but not a smurf like i keep thinking he is.

Before Tate got hurt, he was considered the #1 option at NC not Hakeem Nicks, who turned in a very good rookie year last year.

Price i don't know too much about, hopefully they both play well and can give holt some rest for down the stretch.

Last edited:
I think Tate will help more in the return game than anything. I envision him making some big plays in open space to help the team.
However, Price will be the more consistent receiver which will afford him more playing time.

It seems unlikely that either Tate or Price will beat out Holt and Edelman for reps. If I had to pick one for 2010, it would be Tate. He will active as a returner and will get opportunities. If he does well early, he could get lots of reps. Barring injuries, Price seems likely to be inactive for most the season. Certainly, I would rather have the three TE's active instead of a 5th WR.

I think Price has a very good chance of beating out one of those two guys. Edelman was a very nice surprise last year and I think he'll make more progress this year but keep in mind he was a conversion project and still has a lot to learn about how to play the position. I'm not trying to degrade the quality of Welker's play, but it's entirely possible that a portion of his production is inflated by the system the Patriots run. They use the umpire to set screens in crossing routes very frequently and the combination of routes/option routes they run probably give Welker every opportunity to find soft spots in zone coverage. With Edelman getting most of his snaps at Welker's spots it isn't unreasonable to think that he yielded the same benefits and we are thus more bullish on him than we realistically should be. Price on the other hand is a polished route runner, has amazing speed, and was a 2 year starter at Ohio.

I think Price has a very good chance of beating out one of those two guys. Edelman was a very nice surprise last year and I think he'll make more progress this year but keep in mind he was a conversion project and still has a lot to learn about how to play the position. I'm not trying to degrade the quality of Welker's play, but it's entirely possible that a portion of his production is inflated by the system the Patriots run. They use the umpire to set screens in crossing routes very frequently and the combination of routes/option routes they run probably give Welker every opportunity to find soft spots in zone coverage. With Edelman getting most of his snaps at Welker's spots it isn't unreasonable to think that he yielded the same benefits and we are thus more bullish on him than we realistically should be. Price on the other hand is a polished route runner, has amazing speed, and was a 2 year starter at Ohio.

Unless you think that Price is going to play the slot, he's not even going to be in competition with Edelman. He'll be in competition with Tate, Patten, Aiken and Holt.

To me, the interesting question comes if Welker starts the season on PUP, and that's the question of who will serve as Edelman's backup until Welker returns.

5 WRs (6 when Welker comes back) that we're predicting ahead of Aiken? I don't care who wins, I just don't want Aiken catching anything.

I also don't expect to see Aiken catching passes. Not only are there 5-6 wide receivers ahead of him as receivers; there are also three tight ends.

Aiken is competing for one of the ST spots. We usually end up keeping 2 or 3 special teamers, who do not play the positions they are listed at very often, if at all.

Aiken, Arrington, Slater, Lockett, Alexander and Murrell all come to mind as players competing for special team spots, or who may added to the team late if there are injuries.

5 WRs (6 when Welker comes back) that we're predicting ahead of Aiken? I don't care who wins, I just don't want Aiken catching anything.

Last edited:
Unless you think that Price is going to play the slot, he's not even going to be in competition with Edelman. He'll be in competition with Tate, Patten, Aiken and Holt.

To me, the interesting question comes if Welker starts the season on PUP, and that's the question of who will serve as Edelman's backup until Welker returns.

Lead candidates for Edelman's backup in the slot, in my opinion:

1) Hernandez - Depends on how he adapts to the NFL

2) Holt - Assuming Tate or Price earn their stripes outside, I think Holt's experience and route running would make him an adequate slot receiver. Not the ideal candidate, and not the best place for him to be, but in that scenario it would work for a few weeks I think.

Aside from that, maybe Price if he picks up on things quickly, but those are the two most likely options I think.

It would not at all surprise me to see Price see time at the slot with his quickness and speed. He could cause some serious damage in the seams compared to Welker and Edelman. He's certainly bigger than Edelman, but at 6'0" - 212lbs it isn't like he's too tall or too big to play the position. To say that he'll never see time at the slot in training camp seems kind of short-sighted. I don't think that Belichick would give a position over to a 2nd year player without some sort of camp competition to push the potential incumbent.

It would not at all surprise me to see Price see time at the slot with his quickness and speed. He could cause some serious damage in the seams compared to Welker and Edelman. He's certainly bigger than Edelman, but at 6'0" - 212lbs it isn't like he's too tall or too big to play the position. To say that he'll never see time at the slot in training camp seems kind of short-sighted. I don't think that Belichick would give a position over to a 2nd year player without some sort of camp competition to push the potential incumbent.

I think aside from the occasional play, the slot would be an under utilization of Prices talents. I hear him referred to as Greg Jennings ish, so the speed to get behind defenses and the tough-catch posession skills to cross the field deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes