Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Rico

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Price hopes to contribute - The Sun Chronicle Online - Sports

I haven't seen this posted anywhere and thought it was interesting:

"The lockout definitely helped," (Price) said. "I was in my playbook a lot, learning all the audibles and all the different formations, all that. I want to come out here and be ready, to be ready to take over a spot and have no mess-ups, and not have any errors or slipups."

There was a lot of talk after the season that players like Price, with a lot riding on their ability to improve significantly from year 1 to year 2, would suffer because of the lockout. It's a good sign that he took the initiative and did his best to learn the playbook. From reports, it seems that his effort is paying off at camp so far.

There is always opportunity in chaos.

I can't pretend to know what it's like to be a pro football player, but if you can't study the playbook and participate in training camps at the same time, that sounds like a problem. I hate when people read into things too much with what these athletes say and do, and I know I'm doing the very thing I hate in this post, but I'm certainly not inclined to give him credit for studying his playbook in greater depth because of the lockout.

This isn't rocket science.

Last edited:
I can't pretend to know what it's like to be a pro football player, but if you can't study the playoff and participate in training camps at the same time, that sounds like a problem. I hate when people read into things too much with what these athletes say and do, and I know I'm doing the very thing I hate in this post, but I'm certainly not inclined to give him credit for studying his playbook in greater depth because of the lockout.

This isn't rocket science.

No it's not. But the Patriots do run one of the most complex systems in the NFL on both offense and defense. On offense in particular, it's basically a read option offense and the WR and the QB must be on the same page on reading the defense and then pick the right route according to what they read. Considering that Price had a late start to learning the playbook due to his graduation and there was so much depth ahead of him, I'm not going to put it against him that it took extra time to finally get the playbook down.

What matters most in the end is production, and Price has been turning heads in practice from all reports. I think he might be leapfrogging Tate on the depth chart due to this and right now he's fighting with Edelman for that 4th WR position. Competition is good! I'm worried more about whether Tate will even stick considering that he has continued to fail to impress in camp so far.

No offense to Taylor. I'm sure Ohio University is a fine educational institution. However if he thinks that he was better off working all season on his own, instead of participating in the work out program where he not only could work out under supervised conditions, he had available to him all the video and coaches. Plus the 15 practices he would have had at the OTAs All on film for him to study. IF he thinks that he was better of on his own, no matter how diligent he was, then I'm not going to be sending my grandkids to Ohio University ;)

No it's not. But the Patriots do run one of the most complex systems in the NFL on both offense and defense. On offense in particular, it's basically a read option offense and the WR and the QB must be on the same page on reading the defense and then pick the right route according to what they read. Considering that Price had a late start to learning the playbook due to his graduation and there was so much depth ahead of him, I'm not going to put it against him that it took extra time to finally get the playbook down.

What matters most in the end is production, and Price has been turning heads in practice from all reports. I think he might be leapfrogging Tate on the depth chart due to this and right now he's fighting with Edelman for that 4th WR position. Competition is good! I'm worried more about whether Tate will even stick considering that he has continued to fail to impress in camp so far.

agreed

Tate does not have the ability to understand our complex system. He would do well in a less complex 1 on a different team. He has trade value don't play it down:bricks:

No offense to Taylor. I'm sure Ohio University is a fine educational institution. However if he thinks that he was better off working all season on his own, instead of participating in the work out program where he not only could work out under supervised conditions, he had available to him all the video and coaches. Plus the 15 practices he would have had at the OTAs All on film for him to study. IF he thinks that he was better of on his own, no matter how diligent he was, then I'm not going to be sending my grandkids to Ohio University ;)

Edelman and Woodhead say HI University means nothing. I know u r kidding. read next paragraph

some ppl just do better on their own. Some ppl study better in groups others just need their own intuition and their own space so that they can surmise their own conclusions based on the info present. I don't see Tate opening eyes.

Last edited:
Bill Belichick's High Praise of Taylor Price Could Be an Indication of More Playing Time in 2011 - NESN.com - Jeff Howe

Patriots wide receiver Taylor Price has looked like a completely different player in his second training camp, and his improved performance yielded some high praise from Bill Belichick.

The head coach said Monday that Price "absolutely" looked like a new man this season. In what way?

"Everything," Belichick replied. "He knows the offense better. … His conditioning, his experience in the system last year. Of course, the offense that we run is quite a bit different than what he ran in college, so there's a lot of learning and technique work there. I think he's definitely way ahead of where he was last year."
Special teams coordinator Scott O'Brien was also pleased with Price's improvements in that area. Price has filled in as a kick returner, and he has also played on one of the two kickoff coverage units. It's a clear attempt by the Patriots to get him as involved as possible.

Tate does not have the ability to understand our complex system. He would do well in a less complex 1 on a different team.

Dare I ask?

How on earth do you know he can't understand the system?

I'm not sure that the quick cutting Pats offense is the best fit for him--maybe he'd be better in San Diego with Rivers just lofting bombs to him--but there's zero evidence that he can't get the system.

The biggest take away here for me when considering the mentioned Patriots playbook complexity is the fact Price cares enough to do work on it.

I know it's his job and all and that were it you in his position you would doubtlessly know it already but we have 2 case studies of what happens when you don't learn it in Bethel and Chad Jackson. I don't think anybody can deny their physical gifts as WRs. That got them into the NFL as 2nd rounders.

But they either couldn't or wouldn't pick up this complex offense and for that reason or another - to the best of my knowledge - out of the NFL at this point.

Our drafted WRs don't always pan out.
My thoughts... a 21 year old kid that's been the gridiron's gods' gift to the field all his life comes into the nfl mentally incapable of accepting mediocracy.

On top of that, he now needs to study and learn, and think on his feet, and process information quickly! This is the same kid who's been cuddled by coaches his whole life and been told to run a handful of simple patterns and let his talent do the rest. It takes a special person to be willing to put the work in.

You are so right here baron.....let's give the kid some credit for at least working hard to make sure he learns the playbook inside and out. From what EVERYONE says on the Pats....the Patriots playbooks are very complex and involved......and on offense, you have to know what EACH PLAYER is going to be doing on that particular play. Up until this season, I have seen little indication that Brandon Tate has put much time into learning the playbook......thus the fact that he was only utilized on a few streaks and flag/hail mary's overall last year!!! Give the kid a chance to prove himself this season....unless they bring in another WR....he is GOING to get alot of playing time I would imagine.....I have already called it...that Mr. Price is going to have a BIG season this year....I can feel it!!! GO PATS!

The biggest take away here for me when considering the mentioned Patriots playbook complexity is the fact Price cares enough to do work on it.

I know it's his job and all and that were it you in his position you would doubtlessly know it already but we have 2 case studies of what happens when you don't learn it in Bethel and Chad Jackson. I don't think anybody can deny their physical gifts as WRs. That got them into the NFL as 2nd rounders.

But they either couldn't or wouldn't pick up this complex offense and for that reason or another - to the best of my knowledge - out of the NFL at this point.

Our drafted WRs don't always pan out.
My thoughts... a 21 year old kid that's been the gridiron's gods' gift to the field all his life comes into the nfl mentally incapable of accepting mediocracy.

On top of that, he now needs to study and learn, and think on his feet, and process information quickly! This is the same kid who's been cuddled by coaches his whole life and been told to run a handful of simple patterns and let his talent do the rest. It takes a special person to be willing to put the work in.

Special teams coordinator Scott O'Brien was also pleased with Price's improvements in that area. Price has filled in as a kick returner, and he has also played on one of the two kickoff coverage units. It's a clear attempt by the Patriots to get him as involved as possible.

Definitely something else to keep an eye on Thursday night; could be KR audition time for Price. (Of course we don't want him to get too many chances on KOs).

I am pulling for Price he has the speed to be our deep threat, we know he can block from the college O he played for, if he can run routes which we haven't seen a lot from Tate he could make the roster if we only keep 5.

I wonder if we keep 3 TE with 5.5 RB & 5.5 WR, Hernandez being the .5 player at RB & WR ie an H back not a TE. That could allow us to keep Yeatman or Smith if they can create a spot for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much else he could say. Did we expect him to say"I was hurt because of the lockout cuz I'm the 6th WR on the depth chart"? He didnt get the chance to drop any balls, but he wasnt supplanted by and PS WR either. I had the opportunity to be at Ohio U. one saturday night and had the chance to buy EVERYONE in town a beer that night! I went to every bar on the main drag and bought everyone in the bar a drink...10-12 bars later I had alot of friends! :p

If I could guess...there's a logjam of Tate, Slater and Price, competing for two roles at most, and preferably one role if one guy can really step up. Kick returns are Tate's role, kick coverage is Slater's role, all 3 are vying for the #5 WR job. Looks like Price has an opportunity to supplant one, if not both.

I assume here that Edelman is the safest of the bunch. He is most experienced, is the clear backup should Welker go down, and is the only player of the group that has proven he can return punts.

The fact that the coaches are giving Price reps both in kick return and kick coverage situations is a sign that they see enough in him to give him every opportunity to make the team in some capacity.

Price isn't going to see too much time in the offense in 2011, but I love the potential. He looked Givens-esque in the week 17 game vs. Miami. He is my favorite to land the #5 WR role.

Not much else he could say. Did we expect him to say"I was hurt because of the lockout cuz I'm the 6th WR on the depth chart"? He didnt get the chance to drop any balls, but he wasnt supplanted by and PS WR either. I had the opportunity to be at Ohio U. one saturday night and had the chance to buy EVERYONE in town a beer that night! I went to every bar on the main drag and bought everyone in the bar a drink...10-12 bars later I had alot of friends! :p

Yeah. Ohio U beats Ohio State when it comes to partying :mad:

"Let's do a lockout every year." - Wes Welker

agreed

Tate does not have the ability to understand our complex system. He would do well in a less complex 1 on a different team. He has trade value don't play it down:bricks:
How the Hell did he start 16 games without being able to understand our system?:confused:

How the Hell did he start 16 games without being able to understand our system?:confused:

Cause he had an entire year to study the playbook when he was on IR. The thing about Tate is that he isn't the greatest route runner. They drafted him back in 2009 to basically fill the role of Moss as a backup and eventually as a starter down the road. He looked decent when Moss was on the team cause he basically ran Moss type routes. When Moss left, he kinda struggled but looked decent. I think it was because of the change of routes. He basically moved from running Moss routes to running Branch type routes.
If you had watched my video (not available anymore thanks to Youtube but I can link the video later today when I get home from school), you would notice a different player.) you would feel different. Most people did... judging by the comments on the video.
I'll give him another year in the system before I judge him.

I think Price's play against the Jags showed that this lockout really did help him study the playbook more and get a better understanding of this offense. I have very high hopes for this kid.

Now I would like to see him continue his upward trend against a more formittable foe than the Jags awful pass D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes