PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taylor Price is a Jaguar

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about you do that instead. I don't care what opponent's draft records are like, I care about the Patriots ability to identify talent and then given the opportunity draft those players identified.

The Patriots are an excellent team at building the roster through the draft. Receiver, unfortunately has not been one of the positions they have excelled at. That's not an opinion, that is sheer fact.

"We could have had Jennings and Wallace, instead we got Jackson and Tate."
Nobody knows for sure who's going to suck and who's going to succeed in the NFL. The Patriots aren't always going to land an ace at WR and there aren't any teams that are.

Nobody knows for sure who's going to suck and who's going to succeed in the NFL. The Patriots aren't always going to land an ace at WR and there aren't any teams that are.

It's the team's job to know.

Huh? You're telling me that teams are supposed to know how a player is going to pan out before they are drafted? Wrong. They are supposed to scout players and find ones that they believe will fit well into their system.

There are WR prospects that have a lot more upside than others but they tend to get drafted higher and the Pats have lately had bigger priorities than drafting a receiver with a top pick.

Last edited:
Yes ... but other players emerged over him after that but you know this you're just part of the drama club.

LOL. Your sig gif is hilarious. Where is that from?

Huh? You're telling me that teams are supposed to know how a player is going to pan out before they are drafted? Wrong. They are supposed to scout players and find ones that they believe will fit well into their system.
Apparently you have a problem understanding that my position is the scouting of talent at receiver is the issue. That's why teams scout players. Every draft pick is an investment. The Patriots do it exceptionally well, but not at receiver.

Huh? You're telling me that teams are supposed to know how a player is going to pan out before they are drafted?

Of course they are. It's the entire point of player acquisition. You're just trying to split hairs.

Last edited:
Apparently you have a problem understanding that my position is the scouting of talent at receiver is the issue. That's why teams scout players. Every draft pick is an investment. The Patriots do it exceptionally well, but not at receiver.
This was the edit to my last post-

There are WR prospects that have a lot more upside than others but they tend to get drafted higher and the Pats have lately had bigger priorities than drafting a receiver with a top pick... And once the supposed "elite" players are drafted it sorta becomes more of a crapshoot.

There are WR prospects that have a lot more upside than others but they tend to get drafted higher and the Pats have lately had bigger priorities than drafting a receiver with a top pick... And once the supposed "elite" players are drafted it sorta becomes more of a crapshoot.
That's the same for every position though is it not?

Hey, maybe that's why Belichick always works to get so many picks. He knows the scouts suck, so he figures if he gets enough picks a few will pan out on pure luck.
If thats the case maybe he should just Cut the Scouts and replace them, it would save a lot of time and money.

Last edited:

It's never a crap shoot. That's just a simplification. Sometimes it's a useful one, but around here it's just turned into yet another excuse.

It's a process involving large amounts of time and money spent on compiling information about as many different players as possible (up to a point), and on targeting players that seem to be potentially good picks for the organizations. Teams that do it well will generally improve. Team that don't will generally decline. The Patriots recent struggles in the process, as most clearly demonstrated by the 3rd round failures since 2005, are a large part of why the team's been unable to successfully rebuild the defense.

Last edited:
That's the same for every position though is it not?

Yes, and the Pats have had bigger priorities and voids to fill with the draft the past few years than at the WR position. Luckily the Patriots have scored some decent offensive players recently, especially at TE. I do hope they grab a WR in at least the 2nd round in 2012 if they don't acquire anyone worthy through free agency.

Yes, and the Pats have had bigger priorities and voids to fill with the draft the past few years than at the WR position. Luckily the Patriots have scored some decent offensive players recently, especially at TE. I do hope they grab a WR in at least the 2nd round in 2012 if they don't acquire anyone worthy through free agency.

Because the Pats had bigger draft priorities relative to WR, they chose to draft WR that would be off the team within 3 seasons?

Yup. I'm buying it!

Because the Pats had bigger draft priorities relative to WR, they chose to draft WR that would be off the team within 3 seasons?

Yup. I'm buying it!

When did I say that?

Have you ever hired someone?

Yes, I have. Now, back to the discussion at hand, which is about something other than what I've done in the real world.

The team seems consistent in burning through tight ends, receivers and corners. We've had the need for a vertical receiving threat for a while (given Moss' uncertainty for a while).

I'm sure the Patriots will go about their business as per usual, but that doesn't change the fact that in the past, we've had trouble identifying receivers and drafting them when given the opportunity several times to take one or the other. That's all.

The Draft is basically a bunch of gambling. Take Gronk for example. Had anyone known he would be a complete animal pass catcher/blocker he would have easily been a top ten pick...Nobody knew, and Jermaine Gresham was the first TE off the board. Gronk was injured the entire 2009 season in College with a back injury which made that draft pick more of a gamble. Would the injury plague him in the NFL or would he be fine?

This is the same for every player. Bill stocks up on draft picks and trades back because it gives him more opportunity to gather up players. You're more likely to make a kill with three bullets rather than one

The Draft is basically a bunch of gambling. Take Gronk for example. Had anyone known he would be a complete animal pass catcher/blocker he would have easily been a top ten pick...Nobody knew, and Jermaine Gresham was the first TE off the board. Gronk was injured the entire 2009 season in College with a back injury which made that draft pick more of a gamble. Would the injury plague him in the NFL or would he be fine?

This is the same for every player. Bill stocks up on draft picks and trades back because it gives him more opportunity to gather up players. You're more likely to make a kill with three bullets rather than one

No, it's not basically a bunch of gambling. Again, you're taking a simplification and trying to make it an excuse.

No, it's not basically a bunch of gambling. Again, you're taking a simplification and trying to make it an excuse.

I'm not making any excuses. Apparently you think teams are supposed to know who will and wont pan out in the NFL. If that was the case, one of the 32 teams would have chosen Tom Brady in the 1st round and not with the 199th pick. Maybe Ryan Leaf wouldn't have been drafted at all and teams would have laughed right in the face at Jemarcus Russel.

How many more times do I have to say it. It is never certain that a player is going to succeed or if they are simply going to suck.

I'm not making any excuses. Apparently you think teams are supposed to know who will and wont pan out in the NFL. If that was the case, one of the 32 teams would have chosen Tom Brady in the 1st round and not with the 199th pick. Maybe Ryan Leaf wouldn't have been drafted at all and teams would have laughed right in the face at Jemarcus Russel.

How many more times do I have to say it. It is never certain that a player is going to succeed or if they are simply going to suck.

You're deliberately confusing the idea of there being less than 100% success with a crapshoot. It doesn't matter how many times you say it, it's still just a way of looking for an excuse.

The draft is not just a random crapshoot. That's a simplification generally used to note the imperfection of the process. Perfection is not achievable. That doesn't mean that it's pure luck.

And, yes, it's the team's job to figure out who will and who won't pan out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back