Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tax Rebate turns into free money

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Jan 24, 2008.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

It's not a tax rebate if you get money after not paying taxes :

"in exchange for gaining rebates of at least $300 for almost everyone earning a paycheck, including low-income earners who make too little to pay income taxes."

Of course, the aforementioned "almost everyone earning a paycheck" is in doubt based on :

"Rebates would go to people earning below a certain income cap, likely individuals earning $75,000 or less and couples with incomes of $150,000 or less."

As I've discussed before, those caps may be a lot of money in, say, Iowa but how about people in major cities ?

They need to stop calling this a tax rebate and just call it what it is, a government giveaway to selected people.

I actually wonder, and I'm serious, why a candidate doesn't just propose eliminating Income Tax for the bottom 50%. I presented a link a few weeks ago that showed the bottom 50% only pay 4% of the Income Tax; why not eliminate that completely.

BTW - I'm not whining here about helping the poor. My points are :

- Stop calling it a tax rebate.
    - Payments should be no more than the amount a person has paid in Income Tax.
    - These caps are stupid to be nationwide when the cost of living varies so much.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22820909
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Um... yes?
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So lemme see if I got this straight.... the government is giving free money to an awful lot of people that don't pay taxes, and I don't get squat except a bunch of moonbats telling me I don't pay enough..?

Yeah that makes sense :rolleyes: Maybe someday the poor will pay their fair share.
  4. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wasn't Pelosi who is a democrat, the one who pushed for this rebate to the poor. I thought bushes initial plan was not so charitable to people who simply don't deserve a free check, and the democrats cried foul and had to put their touch on this?
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

One important point, the poorer you are, the more likely you are to spend the money. The key to this plan is that people buy stuff. Wealthier people will simply save the money, middle class people may buy something or pay off debt, and poor people will buy necessities they cannot otherwise afford. Since it is a handout, perhaps it should only be given to the middle class and poor.

Will any of you conservatives turn down this handout? When you think about, it's no different than the kinds of handouts the government gives homeowners after a natural disaster. In this case, we have manmade (Bush) disaster, so the government is giving us handouts to ease the burden.
  6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah... because the poor in the country aren't already getting enough handouts... :rolleyes:
    Well, unfortunately, I can't answer that question because I don't have the option of turning it down.
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

I see you have class envy.

You can donate it to the government with the express purpose of paying down the deficit. I read a few years ago about some guy who died and left his estate (worth something like $80k) to the treasury to pay down the deficit.
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, let's just say I am sick of paying more and more taxes while others (who contribute nothing) continue to get more and more of a free ride on my back. The poor in this country are just not paying their fair share.
    No, I can't. What part of "I don't get squat" did you not understand..?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you simply didn't read my 1st post above, and spell it out nice and simple: I am not getting the (so-called) tax rebate.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i believe progressives have said the elite don't pay enough... somehow, i seriously doubt you're "elite"... except for in your own narrow mind... but you keep right on making stuff up as it soothes you...
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +500 / 6 / -2

Yeah, necessities like scratch tickets, a case of Corona, and a half a dozen new ring tones for their cell phone. (kidding people) Wealthier people won't spend it alright. We all know wealthy people don't spend money. They get their BMW, mansion, and gas for free.

Handout? Let me get this straight, I'm robbed to the tune of $300 a week by the government, and they might, I stress, might give me a couple of weeks of payment back, and I'm supposed to feel guilty taking back MY money? When a mugger takes your wallet, would you consider him giving you bus fare home a handout too? :D

To me, anytime the government gives the people it robbed, their cold hard cash back, I'm 100% supportive. If you think it's wrong, then feel free to pay additional taxes, when you file your form sometimes before April. :rocker:
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +500 / 6 / -2

What a fool! :rofl: Charity would have been a far better bet. Even better, he could have set up a scholarship fund where that $80k could have earned annual interest and helped some unfortunate soul(s) pay for school. People are so stupid in this country. Let the pols pay down the debt they created. I think that with $2.7 Trillion worth of rape, they could cut some pork, and pay down the mess they made.
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That guy sounds like the horse from animal farm. Patters, of course, is one of the pigs.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +500 / 6 / -2

I heard that all single filers are eligable for up to $600. If they're handing tax payer money back to taxpayers, I better be getting something other than the shaft. :mad:
  14. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

Flat screen, baby, here I come!
  15. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter