Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tax increases to protect military spending

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

well...well...well....

we will get to see who the republicans like more, the conservative voters who cry for tax cuts, or the military industrial complex, who is asking for them to be raised...?

You guys will get to see exactly who the representatives like more.

Contractors Push GOP To Ditch The Anti Tax Jihad | TPMDC
  2. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +279 / 4 / -9

you know....much of defense spending involves paying many workers a good salary.

money better spent than GM
  3. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Cut defense spending by at least 40% across the board. We don't need stealth anything nor do we need 25 nuclear subs, each capable of ending the world many times over, when we are fighting people who are armed with aks, rpgs and cell phones linked to old mines hidden in the ground.

That is all.....
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Oh word?

where do they get that $$ ?
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Same place they get all the other money to run the government the top 20% of taxpayers (well at least 94% of the money).
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Oh word?

is that he same 13.8% that people like Romney payed in 2010? (Imagine if he payed ZERO for a decade that we were funding 2 wars)

if 2% of people own 50% of the wealth...then by all means, they should be paying more than 20%

Guess who your 'stop spending' no more taxes representatives will side with?

Dear Millionaires,

Your taxes are going up

Love,

The Military Industrial Complex
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

I don't think the pubs will raise taxes. YMMV.

I realize it annoys you but the top 20% pay almost all the taxes, people like you and me get a relative free ride. You should say thank you to the rich and move on.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

you and me?

Not to disclose who I am, but how can you ask me to thank myself...and move on? I may not be a 1%er...but my income is frickin fantastic. Just because NorCal is liberal, doesn't mean people don't make $$ here.

I pay my taxes. So do my friends. I get in a bunch when people use the loopholes to avoid it, and people like my father-in-law (fire chief) are asked to take a pay cut. I get peeved when people complain about spending and defend the military industrial complex, while 1st graders can't have music, sports, or art in school.

I'll gladly hand over 50% or more of my income if it means that every child gets a proper education, and healthcare. Its called paying it forward. I got to where I am today by being educated in public schools, and having art, sports, and music classes. I went to school on a public bus, and went to a state college.

This next generation will not have it so easy, and its the product of a few greedy people. People who already have more than they will ever need.

There was a time when a family could be raise oin a single income, and the highest tax rate was 90%. Its funny that this is the time that MOST conservatives point to as the time they most want to go back to.
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

The Feds don't pay for local schools, you seem to be well paid and confused.
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

The way we spend money on the military needs to completely be overhauled, have you ever heard of a defense system that is on time, under budget and has nor fraud??? Not yet..

Consider these numbers.. all of which center around our 750 world wide bases.

Now 45% of our returning veterans are applying for permanent disability, Iraq the gift that will keep on giving for the next 50-60 years..

Our DOD Base Budget is 530.5 525.4 Widely reported by the press as the "base" DOD budget, and our Overseas Contingency Operations 115.1 88.5, add to that DOE/Nuclear (Total) 18.5 19.4, International Affairs (Total) 61.3 69.8 Includes $8.2 billion in OCO for Budget Function 150. The OCO grand total is $96.7 billion.

Veterans Affairs (Total) 124.6 137.7 This spending encompasses the effects of past and current wars; spending for veterans of the last ten years will be increasing dramatically in coming years.

Homeland Security (Total) 46.0 46.3 Includes HS spending in DHS and all federal agencies not shown on this summary.

Subtotal of the Above 928.7 930.6 Total Federal Spending is $3.8 trillion in outlays in 2012 and 2013.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

feds DO pay for local schools, you must be out of your mind....

Read more: Government Funding of Public Schools | eHow.com Government Funding of Public Schools | eHow.com

I payed more taxes in 2010 than Mitt Romney. I'm pretty sure I payed more than him too when I was pulling 40k/year back in 2002 as well.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

I'd like to see massive cuts in defense spending as well, but I actually prefer to see it done differently. I'd like us to keep the stealth everything, and the nuke subs (maybe not 25 of them), and instead seek the savings by closing 95% of our bases abroad. I think nuke subs and steath everythings do more to serve in our defense, than does housing tens to hundreds of thousands of soldiers in foreign countries. Let the rest of the world pay for, and worry about their own defense. We're broke, and George Washington was right.
  13. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I agree with closing the bases.....what do we have like 900?

We need maybe two.....maybe.

Stealth does you no good when you are fighting the enemies we are fighting today....now if China/Iran or Russia.....oh nevermind :)
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

The FEDS don't pay for local schools property taxes do, the education dept launders money and issues mandates and should be eliminated altogether.
  15. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well well now,

We all pay taxes, we all pay income tax.....well in a round about way, they borrow from SS to balance the budget been doing it for years.....So your wrong! We all pay into the system, there is no free lunch Patsfan13!

FYI, most of our debt is owned to ourselves......yeah that's right most of our debt is IOU's from SS slush fund!

The rich can kiss my ass, we don't owe them ****!!! They owe us!!!
  16. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Can you expound on the bolded happy?

I'm under the impression that a person making less than $17k a year (rough est. someone I'm sure will confirm that number) pay no federal income tax? I can't speak to state income tax, since each state has a different setup.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

He is referring to payroll taxes SS & Medicare which everyone pays.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Talk about hanging your head. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Pathetic.
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Agree with most. Close all foreign bases.

The nuke subs are obsolete and we do not need them. If we delete the whole Ohio class fleet and keep the LA Class fleet, we'd still be able to destroy the planet. Not enough?

The fighters we built in the 80's still outclass anything anyone's ever built. What we are building now it just a competition with ourselves. We're like frat boys trying to see how many shots we can do without puking our guts out.

George was right and so was Ike.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

And why won't this be a topic of the presidential debate?

[​IMG]