Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Tax Freedom" Two Weeks Earlier Under Obama Than Bush

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Apr 15, 2010.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 7 / -8

Spin as they might, the conservative Tax Foundation, world-class tax whiners, have been forced to admit that their "tax freedom day" -- the day the average American gets done working for "the man" -- is earlier than at any time under the Bush Presidency, and more than 2 weeks earlier than in 2007.

The Tax Foundation - America Celebrates Tax Freedom Day®

Basically, President Obama has cut your taxes. But you knew that :D

With characteristic duplicity, this site goes out of its way to explain away the fact that taxes have been low this year, and to suddenly concern itself with deficits in tandem with taxes (the effect of one-year deficits, right after we've gotten done spotting the entire economy through federal rescues, etc.) Not a concern in 2006, for example...

The Tax Foundation - America's Tax Freedom Day Arrived April 26 in 2006

And with characteristic absolute denial, the teabagger crowd is now running about tearing out their hair, screaming "We worked 99 days this year to pay taxes!!!" -- when in fact, they worked two weeks longer prior to the Obama administration.

Now: I am under no illusions. It is not only unlikely that we will continue to have lower taxes, world without end; it would be unwise to.

You want the candy, you pay the man. Everybody -- teabaggers included -- want their social security and medicare, the biggest ticket items on the menu. Defense is the biggest single discretionary item, and so-called "conservatives" don't want to cut that either. Do the math. You're lookin' at taxes.

Look, the truth is, we will have to grapple with the beast, but knowing what the beast is, is half the battle.

While standard tax whiners throw tantrums about having to pay taxes at all, etc., they have no problem collecting on the fruits of the taxation system. In fact they go ballistic if they think those fruits are threatened.

The rhetoric we continually hear is always aimed at the poor and the social programs designed to address poverty. Guys like the Tax Foundation love to add helpful lines to their graphs when the data don't make their pet point. Hell, that's a given.

But what kind of buffoonery is it to talk about the terrible tax increases when taxes are decreasing, both in absolute and in percentage terms?

Ain't it time to man up and talk about the real world?

PFnV

2. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm confused. The deficit was 8 trillion when Bush left office and 12 trillion now.

3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Or it could mean people are making less money under Obama than under Bush because the less money you make, the lower your tax rate will be. And the lower your tax rate is, the sooner you experience "tax freedom day." Heck, the 10% of Americans that are unemployed experienced "tax freedom day" on January 1st. According to your logic, that's a good thing.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +529 / 6 / -2

No ****. From his own link.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +529 / 6 / -2

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

I had a great tax year last year, made about the same as the year before, but paid $2100 less than the year before...

7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +564 / 7 / -8

I agree.

This is false. Find a link. Hint: figure out first if you want to complain about deficit or debt.

PFnV

8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +564 / 7 / -8

RW and Wolfie, you're paying less under Obama than Bush - or more to the point, the average American is. How about you two personally? I don't recall whether you ever manned up on the W2 thread, Wolfie. I believe RW did but I'm not sure. Either way, we didn't compare year over year.

Are you personally paying more under Obama than you did under Bush?

PFnV

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

God Damn Bush

10. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're right, I mis-typed. Meant debt.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

11. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,313 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

That's all well and good, but I miss the joy on people's faces when they got that $300 check in the mail from President Bush with a note saying "Go spend it at the mall".

12. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

If i remember correctly we had to give it back the next year in taxes.

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My wife and I, filing jointly, paid a smaller amount of taxes in 2009 than in 2008. The reason why we paid less taxes is because we made less money in 2009 than in 2008. And the reason why we made less money in 2009 than in 2008 is because my wife got laid off from her job in the biotech field which was a decision her company made in part due to the policies of the Obama administration.

According to your logic I should just be praising Obama since we paid less in taxes in 2009, but you'll have to forgive me if I don't quite see it that way.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

More people out of work = fewer people paying taxes.

Of course the OP ignores the massive carbon tax being introduced the next couple of weeks the experation of the Bush tax cuts and the floating of the VAT, couldn't be more wrong.

15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

Did all the millionaires who paid zero taxes this year make less, so they paid none:confused::confused::confused:

16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +564 / 7 / -8

Look, anyone who's seen my posts here knows that I think we need a level of taxation on a par with other modern societies. We do not have it. I asked people to add all their taxes together, including social security and state tax, on their W-2s, then (of course) factor in their refunds, and say what they actually were taxed. My own was about 27%. Another person had about 24%. I think one guy, who was self-employed, was in the 30s. You're not going to pay our entitlements bill, and pay for a military that takes more funding than Russia, China, England, and France combined, at that rate. Of course the spending side has to be assessed, but the revenue side being one big feel-good giveaway for decades should not be ignored if we are to discuss this issue seriously.

That said, the facts are the facts: With all the complaints about Obama raising your taxes, he lowered them. You can't have it both ways.

"Republican tax cuts = good
    Democratic tax cuts = bad"

"Spending more than you take in = bad
    Taking in less than you spend = good"

PFnV