PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tavon Wilson????

Status
Not open for further replies.
It only took an hour to think that one up.:p

Who knew.

Looks like someone has been busy this offseason.

gfightsmiley.gif

Posters here should all agree he was a huge reach, he was so far under the radar that most draft publications did not list him as a draft-able player. If that does not qualify him as a reach what does.

This is silly. What a draft publication thinks of a player has nothing to do with how a team evaluates a player. You can't trust a dumb draft publication to tell you whether or not another team might take a player before you.

This team's FO has been consistent year in and year out. They set a value on a player and take that player when there is good value. Sometimes they've missed but overall I'll take this FO over any other out there.

This is silly. What a draft publication thinks of a player has nothing to do with how a team evaluates a player. You can't trust a dumb draft publication to tell you whether or not another team might take a player before you.

This team's FO has been consistent year in and year out. They set a value on a player and take that player when there is good value. Sometimes they've missed but overall I'll take this FO over any other out there.

What our resident pointy hat wearers refuse to acknowledge is the inherent difference between a team and the ubiquitous "draftniks".

Teams will scour the player ranks for players that fit their specific needs and objectives.

"Draftniks" perform a generic player evaluation.

Wilson was specifically targeted for the versitility he can bring to the safety position. This is very different than the holistic evaluation approach because that is extremely dependent upon guys "jumping out on film".

What the Patriots targeted is very different than what "draftniks" do.

As such it's perfectly understandable (just not to pointy hat wearers over in the corner) that he would be drafted high and draftniks would not be familiar.

Stop the personal attacks,please.

Two have been taken off this thread.

Also the political forum has been mentioned, please don't bring fueds from that snake pit over to the football forum. Make sure you get your anti-venom shots before you switch forums.

There was even a Red Sox reference on this thread.:eek:

Let's keep it civil and to the point.

Stop the personal attacks,please.

Two have been taken off this thread.

Also the political forum has been mentioned, please don't bring fueds from that snake pit over to the football forum. Make sure you get your anti-venom shots before you switch forums.

There was even a Red Sox reference on this thread.:eek:

Let's keep it civil and to the point.
I haven't read any of this thread but it must be a doozy. The Sox and the political forum have be mentioned. :eek:

I haven't read any of this thread but it must be a doozy. The Sox and the political forum have be mentioned. :eek:

Members arguing over a player who will barely see the field this year ... :rofl:

If he makes the opening day roster IMO he will be an excellent ST player as he is a good tackler and tough kid. If that's what he gives us this year that will be good enough. The defense is to complicated for this kid to see much of the field.

Members arguing over a player who will barely see the field this year ... :rofl:

So someone who is already the #3 safety on the roster and is on the field in nickel packages will barely see the field? :eek:

Or are you seeing something BB & Patricia aren't? Or are you just making an assumption on a baseless opinion?

At least give the kid a few pre-season games before you say he will barely see the field.

If he makes the opening day roster

How many 2nd rounders are cut the same season they are drafted?

Last edited:
What our resident pointy hat wearers refuse to acknowledge is the inherent difference between a team and the ubiquitous "draftniks".

Teams will scour the player ranks for players that fit their specific needs and objectives.

"Draftniks" perform a generic player evaluation.

Wilson was specifically targeted for the versitility he can bring to the safety position. This is very different than the holistic evaluation approach because that is extremely dependent upon guys "jumping out on film".

What the Patriots targeted is very different than what "draftniks" do.

As such it's perfectly understandable (just not to pointy hat wearers over in the corner) that he would be drafted high and draftniks would not be familiar.

I do think that it's a little noteworthy in that there was a pretty extreme discrepancy between where the draftniks had Wilson going (UDFA) versus where he actually went. Which is not to say that there's a problem there, just that it's unusual, and unusual picks create discussion. Regardless, if the Patriots thought that he was worth the pick, and they thought that at least one other team that was picking before their next selection liked him enough to take him, then so be it. If a bunch of draftniks overlooked him, and the Patriots like what they see, then I'm glad that they took him, criticism be damned.

Last edited:

I responded to this in Post#24. The gist of it was that all the fans have to go by is the draft "talking heads" based on none of them ranking him that high it was right for fans to consider it a reach. But that fans and talking heads don't have all the info that teams do.

So someone who is already the #3 safety on the roster and is on the field in nickel packages will barely see the field? :eek:

Or are you seeing something BB & Patricia aren't? Or are you just making an assumption on a baseless opinion?

At least give the kid a few pre-season games before you say he will barely see the field.

How many 2nd rounders are cut the same season they are drafted?

Sure what we are seeing in training camp is a snapshot of opening day ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are the starters of pre season game 1 also the game 1 starters ... :bricks:

I like the pick and i think the kid has something ... but it needs to yet be molded ... he'll need time.

Last edited:
For your scrutiny.. the Pats are not alone:

Nothing but excuses.

See, other teams screwed up their draft pick so its OK. 2nd round Busts have cost this team Super Bowls.

Nothing but excuses.

See, other teams screwed up their draft pick so its OK. 2nd round Busts have cost this team Super Bowls.
You are right. Perfection is all that is acceptable. BB should be fired at once. Maybe we can get one of the perfect guys running other teams.

It's nice to see this discussion has advanced so much since draft day, some really new and interesting points being brought up. It's becoming one of my favorite annual football traditions.

See, other teams screwed up their draft pick so its OK.

I know you're joking, but seriously, YES. The fact that absolutely no team out there reliably hits on more than a fraction of their draft picks DOES make it ok that the Patriots don't either. Because it shows us that the draft isn't an endeavor like gymnastics, where perfection is expected and you lose by being 0.7% off of that perfect target. It's an endeavor where you know that even the elite competitors only hit on 50% of their picks in the 2nd round.

So it's not reasonable to rail at the bums for being so incompetent as to miss on some of those picks...while 8 of their 9 2nd-round picks who are/would be still in their rookie contracts remain on the roster, and most of those are expected to play major roles this season. That's very good work.

Have some of the Pats' draft choices been duds? Of course. Can we, as fans, dream of what could have been if every choice were perfect? Of course. But can we reasonably expect better yields from recent Pats drafts? No way.

^ looks like someone was watching the Olympics last night :p

I know you're joking, but seriously, YES. The fact that absolutely no team out there reliably hits on more than a fraction of their draft picks DOES make it ok that the Patriots don't either. Because it shows us that the draft isn't an endeavor like gymnastics, where perfection is expected and you lose by being 0.7% off of that perfect target. It's an endeavor where you know that even the elite competitors only hit on 50% of their picks in the 2nd round.

So it's not reasonable to rail at the bums for being so incompetent as to miss on some of those picks...while 8 of their 9 2nd-round picks who are/would be still in their rookie contracts remain on the roster, and most of those are expected to play major roles this season. That's very good work.

Have some of the Pats' draft choices been duds? Of course. Can we, as fans, dream of what could have been if every choice were perfect? Of course. But can we reasonably expect better yields from recent Pats drafts? No way.

Agreed. What do you call a baseball player that only gets a hit in 30% of his at bats? An All-Star. You definably have to grade on the curve for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes