PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tavon Wilson????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, in fairness your OP was rather bizarre. I don't know what more you expect to hear about a safety after 2 days of camp than that he is playing with the second unit, subbing in with the first unit, and has not stood out good or bad.

If brevity translates into bizarre so be it.. but when he was drafted he was pretty much denigrated on this board.. he was too slow, could not cover and in general was a dud..

So was seeking initial impressions of those who were there.. not long term projections or prognostications, just what he looked like on the field.

If brevity translates into bizarre so be it.. but when he was drafted he was pretty much denigrated on this board.. he was too slow, could not cover and in general was a dud..

So was seeking initial impressions of those who were there.. not long term projections or prognostications, just what he looked like on the field.

I blame you for getting the "reach" discussion started again.... :eek: :)

Ok, I'm just saying to characterize him as 'flying under the radar' after 2 days of practice when his role was widely reported seemed strange to me.

Yes, he was such a reach that we learned that at least two other teams had 3rd round grades on Wilson. :rolleyes:

Newsflash, draft publications are NOT the be all end all when it comes to who is draftable.. It's their best GUESS.. Once you realize that, you'll be a step ahead of where you're at now.

I know that already. What I said that fans should consider it a reach based on what knowledge is available to us. We don't know where NFL teams have players ranked, we just have what info is available to us. I did not say it was a reach, just that based on the info we had it was, I said that BB and other FO types had better info.

I agree with what RayClay has to say. Wilson is a dependable, jack of all trades who is hungry and mature. He feels he has a lot to prove by being dissed on no Combine or post-season invites. He means business, which he has already shown by cutting off the dreadlocks.

But the far bigger question is the health of Glass IR Dowling. If he can stay healthy for a season, which I don't think he's done since sophomore year in high school, then this train wreck of a secondary should be mightily improved.

And what's with the Valley Girl overuse of question marks?

double post

Last edited:
Posters here should all agree he was a huge reach, he was so far under the radar that most draft publications did not list him as a draft-able player. If that does not qualify him as a reach what does.

Because BB and apparently a few other FO types seen something in him that most did not, does not disqualify him as a reach to fans who don't have the same info as BB. It is a matter of where your looking at it from.

If BB is correct and Wilson turns into a very good player, there will not be any complaints. If BB is wrong and Wilson is a Bust, then fans who have grown tired of wasting high draft selections on Bums like Butler and Meriweather and being told by Koolaid drinking Homers that they were actually pretty good players, will be vocal.

Its time to fix the NE secondary.

Last edited:
If BB is correct and Wilson turns into a very good player, there will not be any complaints. If BB is wrong and Wilson is a Bust, then fans who have grown tired of wasting high draft selections on Bums like Butler and Meriweather and being told by Koolaid drinking Homers that they were actually pretty good players, will be vocal.

You sound as if it matters to anyone whether you complain or not.

Where's the Nate Ebner thread?

You sound as if it matters to anyone whether you complain or not.

Matters about as much as your ****eyed player evaluations.

One thing is certain. That you will always love the draft pick and defend Wilson regardless of how he plays. Thats what Homers do.

Thousands? LOL! :singing:
Cunningham has been a huge disappointment to this point. IMO, this year is his last chance to show what he's got, if he's got anything.

I have got to believe that Cunningham was injured most of last year. That is the only thing that makes sense. He was also held out of mini-camp. Hopefully he is 100% now and we can see what he can do.

Yes, he was such a reach that we learned that at least two other teams had 3rd round grades on Wilson.
And even if we didn't find out later we have to assume that Bill knew something the "draft gurus" did not.

But if somebody wants to question one of the finest football minds in the universe they are free to do so.

Barret is another interesting case.

I just haven't been very impressed with Barrett, between his injury history and his coverage ability. He has great size and linear speed, but limited mobility. I haven't heard anything so far in camp to suggest that the result will be any different, though it's early.

The guy who really intrigues me - and who did last year as well - is Jeff Tarpinian. He has less linear speed than Barrett (4.56 vs. 4.34) but better explosiveness and lateral movement (6.78 3-cone, 4.1 short shuttle 37" vertical, all significantly better than Barrett's numbers). He's slightly bigger than Barrett. But I wonder whether Tarpinian might be able to play DB in a "big nickel" role. So far he's been getting a lot of time on special teams and in coverage at training camp, and reports have been favorable:

One under the radar player who is creating a role for himself is Jeff Tarpinian. For the third day in a row Tarpinian made a nice play in pass coverage, knocking a pass away. He made the team out of camp last year and to this point looks like one of the better coverage linebackers in camp.

Patriots Training Camp: 15 Things That Stood out on Saturday | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

I wonder whether Tarpinian could possibly beat out Barrett or another DB as a DB/LB hybrid player and STer.

And even if we didn't find out later we have to assume that Bill knew something the "draft gurus" did not.

But if somebody wants to question one of the finest football minds in the universe they are free to do so.

1290449_o.gif

Every team in the NFL has difficulty in the second round, it is not exclusive to the Patriots..

There are some hits, but there are a lot of misses also...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back