PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tatum and Borges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill's Girl

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
OMG, I should have known a fricken weasel like Borges would think that Tatum did not intentionally hit Stingley...... I did not think my opinion of him could get any lower! Fricken Tatum has NEVER appologized, what a lowlife!

Tatum is an *****. Saw the back half of the interview.

He gave some kind of half-hearted 'I am sorry for his injury but I'm not going to apologize for how I played the game. '

He put a guy into a wheelchair for life. You would think just once he could say or do something.

They said he travels promoting support for juvenile diabetes (since he lost his leg due to failing to take care of his own diabetes) Would he ever have thought to raise money for healing quadriplegics?

( I bet he doesn't have too many events in the New England area; at least not without extra security.)

one scumbag (Borges) being an apologist for another (Tatum).

I thought Tatum came off looking REALLY bad but I have to agree with him that Borges wasn't intending to paralyze Stingley.

BelichickFan said:
I thought Tatum came off looking REALLY bad but I have to agree with him that Borges wasn't intending to paralyze Stingley.

He wasn't intending NOT to paralyze him either.

I saw the replay of the hit on Stingly by Tatum on ESPN but it was a bad angle. Isn't there another clip with a different angle.

I seem to remember Tatum leading with his helmet into Stingleys back but I didn't see that in the clip. Or is my memory showng my age?

Can I get a witness!

I don't think it was so much the hit itself that was this issue. It was a violent hit to be sure but football is and has always been a game that celebrates and encourages it.

It was the context (meaningless preseason game) and then the conduct of Tatum afterwards up to and including the present day that makes him a disgrace.

BelichickFan said:
Iassume you meant that you agreed with Borges that Tatum wasn't trying to paralyze players.

Tatum and Hayes had a competition. THey got different # of points from,knocking a player unconscious, sending him to the sidelines, knocking him out of the game, etc.

They did not try to paralyze a player - you and Borges have that correct - but they did try to hurt the player. That was the intent. It was how they kept score. Two bad ESPN had such a soft interview. It would be nice to hear a tough question about the points systems.

OTOH, this is the first time Tatum ever said he was sorry about anything. Madden visited Stingley in the hospital. Tatum never did, put it out of his mind as he said on TV. ("Why woldn't I be okay?")

He wrote a bout bragging he titled "They Call Me Assassin" and then wrote another that he tried to trick Stingley into helping him sell. He tried to arrange a meeting with Stingley to apologize, but it was to be on TV, not man to man, and the new book would be announced after. Stingley was happy to meet with Tatum, but noton camera. Tatum didn'tbother with that - all he needed Stingley for was publicity for the book.

Cold, heartless man. He had best hope that one doesn't need compassion in the hereafter.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
Madden visited Stingley in the hospital. Tatum never did, put it out of his mind as he said on TV. ("Why woldn't I be okay?")
Yeah, that was really bad. As for the competition, this whole thing was a little before my time (I moved to the U.S. in 1980) so I didn't know much about that.

Tatum is a piece of scum and he can join Borges in hell.

Crap is crap. Put two pieces of crap together and it's still one pile of crap. Borges & Tatum - - - one huge pile of crap. :mad:

mybest try at accuracy, as few opinions as i can

BelichickFan said:
i was watching that geme it was played in oakland there was sunlight.
John Madden was HC, al davis was younger and more involved, Fairbanks had Patriots. i watched raiders all the time----they had a great great team (5 HOFs) and their games had pushing, shoving and controversy. this was early days of NFC-AFC setup and AFL teams still played freewheeling games.
tatum and george atkinson, the other safety, were written regularly and described on TV as dirty players, a la broncos' OL.
Tatum played in college at Ohio State, Stingley at Purdue. they saw each other 3 times. El Globo (mcdonough) wrote after incident that stingley had talked several times to other players about this "thing" between himself and tatum. hhere were some "feelings" in play before they were in pro ball where tatum dialed up his play.
This was a goddam exhibition game.
grogan had already missed several passes high over the middle. another R to L pass play, a short post for stingley---the pass is high but catchable. stingley jumped to get the ball, and tatum was standing there waiting for him. i know i saw prepare himlf for a hit, and raise his forearm, and at that VERY instant the tv director wen to a shot of the bouncing ball. i heard the crown moan and the announcer siad something like "stingley seems to be hurt".
i seem to remember an endzone shot but it wasn't the correct angle.
my opinion:: it was the dirtiest shot i have ever seen in 47 years of watching football. the WR was completely vulnerable. a mean safety would have popped him hard enough to make stinlgley hit the grown---hard. what tatum was so far beyond the pale in hitting an opposing player, i can't even think of a comparison since '78 and now.. i do remember tatum waking away and atkinsson standing ovser stingley and celegrating.

spacecrime said:
He wrote a bout bragging he titled "They Call Me Assassin" and then wrote another that he tried to trick Stingley into helping him sell. He tried to arrange a meeting with Stingley to apologize, but it was to be on TV, not man to man, and the new book would be announced after. Stingley was happy to meet with Tatum, but noton camera. Tatum didn'tbother with that - all he needed Stingley for was publicity for the book.

Cold, heartless man. He had best hope that one doesn't need compassion in the hereafter.

That is exactly my problem with Jack Tatum. I do not believe he felt any compassion or remorse about what happened. It was all about how he could profit.

That makes Borges even more of a skunk if that is possible.

There was also blood between the teams.. a few years before, the Patriots beat the daylights out of them...don't remember the score..and then there was the playoff game (The Dreith game..) Yes..there was a lot between the two..no doubt at all..and the hit?? That eveyone could hear..the actual sound was loud when the hit was made ..LOUD! ANd yes Tatum and company were ce;ebrating..there and on the sidelines..Maybe ABC should be contacted and complaints made..??? AND put Borges in there and I know why he is a snake..always will be.

Thanks for giving me the added perspective, like I said, I wasn't watching football back then. Tatum comment the night it happened of "why wouldn't I be OK" basically says it all.

Pats Fanatic said:
Tatum is a piece of scum and he can join Borges in hell.

fully agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey