PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tate: the Chargers-style gamble

I've been one of the guys that has said that the Pats will put him on IR, but that is based upon the assumption that he wouldn't be ready to contribute till halfway through the season. If he is ready to go by pre-season and is better than what the Pats have, in the way of returners, then toss him in there and run a few back.

Frankly, I saw the genius of his selection in that he isn't needed this year, already has a reason to go on IR, the roster spot is likely needed in other spots, and that he turns out to be the first Patriot pick for 2010. Nothing wrong with getting your picks in early, in a sense.

PUP seems a better option than IR so that he can at least practice with the team later in the year (even if he's inactive weeks ~10-17). The reality is that by week ~9-10 they'll be at least a couple players on IR such that using the 53rd roster spot at that point on Tate won't be detrimental to the team.

That decision doesn't get made without that scout laying it on the line with his belief in Cassel. That's not a tendency, it's a trust.

Come to think of it, the Chargers have their own trust-the-scouts, pre-draft-rankings-be-damned pick this year in Vaughn Martin.

Come to think of it, the Chargers have their own trust-the-scouts, pre-draft-rankings-be-damned pick this year in Vaughn Martin.
Perhaps, how many true NT candidates where there in this draft?

A Chargers fan on an NFL board was talking about the rumor of how BB wanted to get English and pointed out that English scored a 34 on the Wonderlic and then pointed out that Martin scored a 41.

Perhaps they are trying to take a page out of the Patriots book.

Well, they do seem particularly obsessed with us. Of course, now that Brady's back, they can forget about winning a game against us for the next couple years. Serves them right; I was so frustrated watching that embarrassment of a game last year, and can't wait to see them fail fail fail all year.

The Brandon Tate pick reminded me of this years-old thread on the contrasting ways the Pats & Chargers have sought out hidden draft bargains:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...d/13/55282-mining-gems-chargers-patriots.html

The idea at the time was that the Pats had a tendency to pick up players who hadn't been full-time starters due to talent logjams, while the Chargers took high-profile players who fell due to serious senior-year injuries. (Note that S.D. drafted the recently hospitalized Demetrius Byrd this year.)

Tate is a classic Chargers-type pick, a potentially significant weapon whom they can afford to wait for until he's healthy. Works for me.
didn't work out for us with waters, also cro getting injured in 08 turned him into a pretty subpar cb , and even marcus mcneil while not sucking, was nothing like his rookie season, cause he too got hurt again somewhat

hopefully cro and mcneill recorver completely, but it's not all gold

i think the best work we've done is in UDFA's (cooper, dielman, gates)

Didn't I read in Vollmer's interview after the draft that the Pats did not show that much interest in him after his workout??

Scar must of liked what he saw, but doesn't want anyone else to recognize it, walks away without saying anything.

So the scout that is slapping the player on back wants the other scouts to think he taking him, when in reality he doesn't want him at all,,what a poker game,,
cason last year after the draft said sd didn't show any interest in him at all

A Chargers fan on an NFL board was talking about the rumor of how BB wanted to get English and pointed out that English scored a 34 on the Wonderlic and then pointed out that Martin scored a 41.

Perhaps they are trying to take a page out of the Patriots book.
dude we been trying to copy NE since AJ took over, it's worked vs indy but we keep coming up short lol

the one thing we really fail at is getting our players to buy into the humpleness and to just shut the **** up

we got alot of stupid guys who like to run their mouths

i wish they could all be like rivers, guy is mr. perfect off the field

Well, they do seem particularly obsessed with us. Of course, now that Brady's back, they can forget about winning a game against us for the next couple years. Serves them right; I was so frustrated watching that embarrassment of a game last year, and can't wait to see them fail fail fail all year.
of course we're obsessed with NE, we're obsessed with indy and pitt too, them along with sd have been the top 4 teams of the past 5 years, and we're the one who hasn't cashed in that success

Moss gets butter fingers at the worst times sometimes.

we got alot of stupid guys who like to run their mouths

i wish they could all be like rivers, guy is mr. perfect off the field

You'll get that character with English, a very solid guy. (Athletically, though, he's no Merriman.)

That decision doesn't get made without that scout laying it on the line with his belief in Cassel. That's not a tendency, it's a trust.

I remember the article you two are talking about and (the scout in question) Matt Russell's tone wasn't that he was laying it on the line with his belief in or fascination with Cassel, just that he was encouraged to look down the depth chart of quality teams like USC by the Pats brass, watch practice film etc. Hence why Russell had been reporting on Cassel to Pioli et al for a year before that Pro Day.

Credit Matt Russell for doing the legwork and having a good eye, but as patchick mentions scouts from a dozen teams took notice at Cassel's Pro Day. As I recall the reason the Pats drafted Cassel at all was because they were concerned he wouldn't sign with them as an UDFA because he would prefer Norm Chow in Tennessee.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back