Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tate looking to play by Week 7

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by LasVegasPatsFan, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LasVegasPatsFan

LasVegasPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Dont know if this was a thread before but I just found this on rotoworld.

Patriots WR/KR Brandon Tate, on the PUP list while recovering from last year's ACL surgery, is holding out hope of playing this season.
    Tate said he has the playbook "down pat" and will be ready to go as soon as he's eligible in Week 7. The NCAA record holder for combined kick return yardage, he'd be an asset on special teams if he can return at 100 percent by mid-season.

Brandon Tate
  2. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Our kick return teams haven't looked great, so it'd be a bonus if he could come in and contribute. I don't remember all the rules relating to PUP, but I believe there's a 3-week window to evaluate before we have to add him to the active roster or else IR him, so if he's healthy, he'll probably get a shot to contribute.
  3. TheBeers

TheBeers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It would be nice to see.. I was just talking to someone about this subject at work today. The Pats do not have anyone on the roster it seems that can break big plays and blow by everyone. I know they have made mistakes on guys before (Bethel and Jackson) but at least Bethel was a threat to break a kick return at any time. They really lack big play makers on special teams especially.
  4. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

iam sure BB appreciates the update from tate :rolleyes:
  5. aeg

aeg Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Edelman looked pretty good on PR in pre-season ...
  6. BradyBranch39

BradyBranch39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm excited to see what this guy can do.

SN rated him ahead of Nicks, Maclin and DHB –*as a WR.
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ~~~Out of Order~~~ PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Hmmm ... Maroney has a few weeks left before he's left without a role.

Oh well ... it is what it is ... Tate and BJGE on ... Maroney and Galloway out.
  8. TheBeers

TheBeers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

True he did.. He has good speed and above average quickness but i'm talking about Cribbs/Hester/Knox/Washington/Sproles type of speed. I know those guys are among the fastest out there... i just want to have one of those guys for us too! I do think Edelman can be a good return guy though.. Tate could be a very nice addition.
  9. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If Tate does anything positive this season it would be helpful, but I'm not expecting much of anything with all the time off he's had. The sooner BB puts him into the return game the better you know he is.
  10. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If you read the WEEI mailbag that's on a thread in this forum, Price talks about how Tate is available to the media whereas IR players such as Mckenzie are not. This could be taken as an indication that he is being considered for play in week 7.
  11. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Tate expects to be ready to play this season, but I'd be shocked if the Pats activated him for any games. They might just let him ride out the rest of the season, absorb the playbook anymore, and let him do what he does next year. I watched Tate in college and he's got very good potential. If he's every fully healthy again, I think he could be better than Nicks, his running partner at UNC.
  12. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Would be nice to get him some experience. Of course anything he adds other than KR duty would be a bonus. But it'd be a huge plus in his development to get him out there as early as this season..
  13. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

They have a three week window starting after Week 6 to start him practicing, then once they start him practicing, they have another three-week window to activate him. If either of those periods expire, he remains on PUP for the balance of the season.
  14. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    I ws very pleased when we drafted him and more pleased that he so earnestly wants to play for this team. I have a really good feeling about this kid.
  15. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If he gets on the field, let's hope he doesn't.... hesi-Tate.

:nosmile:
  16. BillBelichickFan79

BillBelichickFan79 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I agree with you 100%. Everytime I watched Tate in college I felt he had more potential than Nicks. Tate would have probably gone first round if he didn't tear his knee. Hopefully he regains most of if not all of the explosiveness and elusiveness he once possessed. The kid could not be stopped on special teams and was developing into a damn good WR.
  17. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    I wouldn't be that shocked you don't pay a guy not to play...if he is healthy than I don't see what is to be gained from not giving him an opportunity. I am shocked to hear him say he thinks he will be ready I was kind of under the impression he wasn't going to be and got a little hopeful maybe he would when he was puped but still wasn't expecting it. If he is healthy than PT even if it is just practice reps will make him better sitting wont (see some of the guys we had hopes for who precieved as being IRed to save for future most if not all are gone guys like Lua)
  18. jeffbiologist

jeffbiologist Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think its way too much to expect from that position, WR is supposed to be the hardest position(besides QB)for a rookie to learn. That said, if we want someone to get reps there ....Edleman obviously. Unless we have a rash of injuries at the position I cant see bringing a guy up from training camp speed to a playoff chase in the 3 weeks we are allowed to make decision. At that time of year we wont be able to afford the luxury of not dressing healthy guys I'm sure, we would have to cut someone to make room for him even if he never dressed. Thats something we wouldnt have to do if we dont activate him. Its a nice thought, I just dont think its very realistic.
  19. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I doubt he'll crack the WR lineup but if he's a monster at ST I'm sure he'll find a spot on the team.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  20. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He has a lot of potential, but we need to be realistic. At UNC he had 46 career receptions. His senior year was cut short at 16 because of a knee injury, but his productivity was largely as a returner, not a receiver. Sam Aiken, by comparison, had 46 catches his junior year and hauled in 68 his senior year. Aiken has been relegated to STs in the NFL. I am not saying Tate cannot make it, but he has never been as productive as Nicks and has a very long way to go before he becomes a productive receiver in the NFL.
  21. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

There's no reason Tate couldn't be a productive WR for us if we gave him a chance.

All last offseason I was hyping WR Mike Wallace from Mississippi as a sleeper WR and a possibly 3rd-4th round pick. The Steelers took him one pick after we took Tate in the 3rd. He currently has 12 catches for 147 hards through 3 games, has become the #3 WR on the team, and has made several key receptions include a clutch catch against Tennessee.

Tate has plenty of talent. If healthy, there's no reason he couldn't contribute, if given the chance. Edelman is contributing, so why couldn't Tate?
  22. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    I was shocked they took Tate with the injury when Wallace was still on the board. Then shocked turned to pissed when the Steelers grabbed him. I told some Steeler friends, yes oxymoronic I know, that he would leave Sweed in the dust as I've never been high on him and figured he would end up like Jarrett and other bigger college receivers that have ok speed but aren't quick. They are starting to believe me.
  23. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I hear ya, but Peter Warrick had a lot of catches in college and look how he turned out. Just because Aiken out-produced Tate as a WR doesn't have much to do with how the Patriots viewed Tate's skill-set at draft time. I expect they wouldn't have used a 3rd round pick for an injured player if they saw him only, or even primarily, as a returner.
  24. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Besides being injured Tate had tested positive for MJ. And a very good WR prospect was still on the board, and went one pick after him. So obviously the Pats, rightly or wrongly, thought very highly of him as a prospect, and as more than just a returner.
  25. Jared

Jared Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

By week seven, all he has to do is beat out Galloway. At that point, we may be clamoring for someone to replace him.
  26. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't get the pessimisn here. He was a projected first rounder until he got hurt. You can't just rank NFL WRs by how many catches they had in college.

How many receptions did Edelman have as a junior or a senior?

Luckily BB uses more in depth methods of evaluation than a spreadsheet of cokllege receptions.
  27. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Since 2000, there have only been three rookies to have more than 20 catches in their 1st year with the team. I pick 20 as a number that shows that there is at least a contribution to the offense and the coaching staff has enough confidence to put them out there where they know enough when to cut off routes, make sight adjustments, and make adjustments according to the defense in front of them (sit in spots in a zone).

2000-JR Redmond
    2002- Deion Branch
    2006-Maroney

I'd love to see Tate make an immediate contribution, but history shows that only one WR has made an impact in the passing game during the BB era.
  28. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I agree to up to a point, which is why I earlier said that there is no reason to assume that a healthy (condition 1) Tate couldn't make a contribution if given the opportunity (condition 2). BB may not give him the chance.

On the other hand, we have a 7th round rookie QB on our roster named Edelman who already has 11 catches having played 2 out of the first 3 games.
  29. realtime

realtime Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

They also thought that Derek Pegues (undrafted) was the top safety in the entire draft and deserving of a 1st round pick, so I wouldn't put much stock in what SN says.

That said, I am also excited to see what he can do, and if he truly has the playbook "down pat", he is already way ahead of some of our other receivers.
  30. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I had Tate off my board until at least the 5th round because of the injury plus the weed (not that there's anything wrong with that, just not < one month before the Combine). I was hoping that Derrick Williams would last until 83, but the Loins took him at 82. My next choice was Juaquin Iglesias, but he hasn't done anything for da Bears, at least not yet.

"Holding out hope" seems more dire than "looking to play by week 7", but the fact that he's still around the clubhouse is def. a good sign. Hey, he's gotta be better than the washed-up Galloway, right?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.